The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 29, 2001, 06:45 AM   #1
yankytrash

Carcus processing knives.

Went to cut up a couple deer hind-quarters last night, and found out my wife threw out my favorite meat cleaver because it was rusty!!!!

Had to de-bone the round steaks - what a friggin mess that was. Looks like a pile of dang stew meat.

I've been keepin my eye out for a good, heavy meat cleaver at the flea markets around here, and I can't find any. I wanted an extra one for whackin the bone; little did I know I'd be shopping for my primary one.....

Where would be a good place to find one? I'm talking about a good HEAVY cleaver for doin some real butcherin. I've seen the Martha Steward-looking cleavers at the local department staores and cooking supply outlets, and I haven't found a real one yet.

Am I going to be forced to take the meat outside and use my hatchet? Please don't tell me that....
Old November 29, 2001, 09:48 AM   #2
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Eeeeww! Bone chips in yer food - yuck!

I dunno nuttin' 'bout choppin' tools for game cuttin'. I bone out everything bigger'n a turkey - nice linear slice & peel it off the bone in one big hunk. Slice to "taste" for roasts,clean, wrap & freeze. Steaks/whatever can always be cut out after you thaw out that roast.

Though not quite cricket per standard butchering practises ... The Wife hasn't slapped me yet.

I've a basic butchering book that recommends getting those bones outa there. They say the meat will stay good longer frozen than leaving it in. Can't argue. I've some close to 2 year-old deer meat we broke out last weekend & looked & tasted as good as that month-old elk we had last Tues.

Besides, if you're gonna go bone-in, why not go whole hog & get a band saw?
Old November 29, 2001, 01:45 PM   #3
Kingcreek

I agree. I butcher and process all my mine and bones don't go in the freezer.
If you are really sure you want chopping, custom knife-maker John Grecko makes a cleaver sort of tool (he calls it the kitchen hatchet IIRC).
Old November 29, 2001, 02:27 PM   #4
Jay Baker

If you want a top cleaver, go to a restaurant equipment supply store and buy a Dexter. You can't beat 'em.

Then, hide it from your wife.

J.B.
Old November 29, 2001, 03:06 PM   #5
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

Ive never used a big cleaver but the best places to get them are resaurant supply stores, specialty kitchen supply houses (willams-sonoma) or your local specialty cutlery house (naked edge etc).

A good knife costs money. Expect to get what you pay for.

Most cleavers are for chopping veggies by guiding the flat pf the blade with your knuckles of your off had, sounds like what you are really looking for is a "meat axe" which is far heavier than a standard cleaver.

For de-boning etc at home I use my Cold Steel Tanto, otherwise I send my deer to the butcher.

Rob
Old November 29, 2001, 05:43 PM   #6
yankytrash

Ah HA! There's the fly in the soup! I've been asking for a meat cleaver, not a meat axe.

Thanks, Doc.