The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old January 18, 2007, 04:36 AM   #1
Red Grant

Situational awareness while doing #2.....

I've been meaning to start a thread on this very important, but often maligned topic, but recent article by Brent Wheat of SWAT mag on this topic gave me the oomph.

Where would you guys put the gun while performing #2 in a public restroom?
Old January 18, 2007, 05:04 AM   #2
gdvan01

In public restrooms, for said requirements, I always use the stall at the end of the row (which in most cases is the handicapped stall and is somewhat roomier). It is closed on 2 sides and as long as the floor isn't too disgusting you can set any personal items in the corner on the floor.

If it ends up being the handicapped stall and you get funny looks when you come out....f-'em. Safety first. And remember not to hang anything on the hook on the inside of the stall door, it's pretty easy to reach over and snag what's there while you're grunting away.
Old January 18, 2007, 05:56 AM   #3
Josh Smith

Set it on your pants, muzzle facing the toilet.

Josh <><
Old January 18, 2007, 07:22 AM   #4
NCHornet

I'm not putting anything on a public restrooms floor!!! This was posted in another forum and one of the members said he uses the Underwear Hammock, you drop your drawers, spread your legs, and you have created a perfect Hammock for you gun to sit in while dropping a duece. It can be accessed very quickly if the need be. I hope y'all find the Underwear Hammock as useful as I have!!
Old January 18, 2007, 07:29 AM   #5
Red Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdvan01
...I always use the stall at the end of the row...

I do, too for the same reasons, but I've never gotten funny looks.

I never put anything on the hook of the door, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chivato
Set it on your pants,

That's what Brent advised.

However, I have learned to do things a little different.

I take off both my trouser and the underwear. (and yes, shoes, too) I go "full super commando".

My reason is that when performing #2, the trousers and underwear (if you're not going "commando") around my ankle severly limits my mobility if not taken off.

...and that's why I also carry my double wrapped plastic bags so that I can put my trouser, and underwear in it if the floor is too grubby, and ditch the outside plastic layer so that my duffle bag wouldn't be contaminated by the foreign materials from the floor.

I also carry another plastic sheet so that I can put my feet on while taking off and putting on the shoes, the trouser, and the underwear if the floor is too grubby.

I also learned to perform #2 while squatting on the stall. It gets the "stuff" out more quickly and smoothly.

Also, if performed while doing the "courtesy flush" if bg comes inside the room it will confuse him for a moment where I might be since bg won't be able to easily see my legs...so long as he comes in after the flushing noise dies down.

Yes, he will be able to see me, but he will have to come close and see through the gaps.

Another article that I find very useful is shoehorn of the long kind, it helps me get inside the shoes easily without damaging the dress shoes, and on a pinch could double as a close range impact/distraction weapon.

The actual gun itself? I got myself a custom-made "universal" size calf holster without the strap, it's actually more or less a bucket than a holster.

This way, the gun is as close as it can be to my dominant hand and fast to get it out and secure from falling out from normal range movement.

I only use this calf gun bucket while performing #2.

P.S. For it's worth, I also take one teaspoon of pro-biotics a day it helps my #2 movement smooth, not "tough".

Anymore than 1 teaspoon a day, you might have to perform #2 more frequently than you would want.

Also, carry baby wipes! You wouldn't believe the amount of yellowness that comes out even after using the TP.
Old January 18, 2007, 07:47 AM   #6
AR15FAN

^^^
Old January 18, 2007, 09:11 AM   #7
Prophet

LOL Funny thread but I always wait until I get home or friends house public restrooms way too nasty :barf: IMO...
Old January 18, 2007, 09:32 AM   #8
stephen426

Wow... some of you guys have spent WAY too much time thinking about this. I would have to say unless you have a price on your head or you live in a really really bad area, you guys are super paranoid (especially Red Grant).

If I have to go #2 in a public restroom, I find the cleanest stall. The chances of picking up some nasty germs is much more likely than getting jacked while on the toilet. Some public restrooms have square toilet paper holders that I can put my gun on. There is no chance or reaching over and grabbing it. If the toilet paper holder is round or recessed, I just tuck my gun under my arm pit.

Prophet has the right idea... Wait till you get home if at all possible. As for going to a friend's house just to take a dump, they might not appreciate me stinking up their bathrooms.
Old January 18, 2007, 09:50 AM   #9
Prophet

I didn't mean make a special trip to a friends house i'm just saying if your at a friends house and you have to its ok there or at home just not in a public restroom.
Old January 18, 2007, 10:28 AM   #10
Troponin

While the topic itself is interesting, I have to laugh at a couple replies. Never knew that it was so involved. I too set my gun in my little makeshift holster I make when my pants are down, of course, muzzle facing away from me and my bits.

This brings up yet another question. How in the bleep do you guys keep your pants from falling to your ankles while at a urinal when you are carrying a gun? Man, it sure is akward and silly looking when you have your one hand occupied with the obvious, the other on your pants, your elbow holding your gun from falling outward and taking your belt with it, and your knees in that funny looking bent outward squat type stance I like to call the "just in case all my other efforts of holding up my pants fails" position.
Old January 18, 2007, 11:13 AM   #11
Prophet

Quote:
This brings up yet another question. How in the bleep do you guys keep your pants from falling to your ankles while at a urinal when you are carrying a gun?
You can just unzip unstead of unbuttoning and unzipping. Just unzip and pull it out through the hole in your boxers and through the zipper that way you never loosen the tention of your belt on your holster.
Old January 18, 2007, 11:21 AM   #12
Glenn E. Meyer

We did this scenario at a local IDPA match. Club members met for a hot, habenero breakfast at the local Mexican restaurant. We then set up a stage with a stall. When you felt the movement - you asked to shoot the state - so to speak. You sat on the throne and when an acoustic cue indicated to the RO that you were at the 'ready' - the door of the throne was pulled open. Two targets were right at the door and a popper. You fired both two shoots at the target and one hit the popper. That activated a third target that slid under the side of the stall and had to be neutralized.

The big question was whether to wipe with the dominant hand for better cleanliness or the nondominant hand and risk having poor control of the gun for any more bad guys.

I think they are going to have this one at the National - it will be called:

"The Runs and the Guns".
Old January 18, 2007, 11:27 AM   #13
Troponin

Quote:
You can just unzip unstead of unbuttoning and unzipping. Just unzip and pull it out through the hole in your boxers and through the zipper that way you never loosen the tention of your belt on your holster.
Does that fit for you? Man, I don't want winky to become hamburger.
Old January 18, 2007, 11:29 AM   #14
Socrates

Having been attacked, and beat over the head with a Walther PPK/S, by three guys, for being an alleged friend of an ass bowling alley manager, which I was not, this is a serious issue. Bathrooms are popular for muggings, and, people even see it about to happen, and don't say anything...

S
Old January 18, 2007, 11:44 AM   #15
WIN71

Quote:
...and that's why I also carry my double wrapped plastic bags so that I can put my trouser, and underwear in it if the floor is too grubby, and ditch the outside plastic layer so that my duffle bag wouldn't be contaminated by the foreign materials from the floor.

I also carry another plastic sheet so that I can put my feet on while taking off and putting on the shoes, the trouser, and the underwear if the floor is too grubby
Sounds like Monk when he goes to his girlfriends house.

Quote:
We did this scenario at a local IDPA match.
Glenn: You practice this one too much and late some night you're liable to blast the little woman !!!

And no, I don't have anything constructive to say. Where I live if there is a restroom at all it's usually in a USFS campground. I don't take a gun inside. I don't take my wallet or truck keys inside either. Or my sun glasses or anything else that can fall out, get kicked, or get lost.
Old January 18, 2007, 12:18 PM   #16
Trip20

Practical sollution: Hold the holstered pistol until it's time to wipe, or use the "hammock" while doing your business as suggested by the other poster. When you're ready to clean your backside, set the holstered pistol in your "hammock,” clean up, and get dressed.

Not many people carry a duffle bag at all times complete with double wrapped baggies and a plastic drop cloth. That was an amusing post, though.

The most important thing to remember when using a public restroom is to either squat with out touching, or place a generous amount of toilet paper down on the seat (what I call the "ass gasket"). Protect yourself from germs!

For standing at the urinal - no need to undo your belt and button. Just unzip as the other poster suggested, pull through, relieve yourself, put it back, zip up, and wash your hands. Boxers, tight briefs, and most style under garments have a hole in the front to facilitate this maneuver.

I see guys at work all the time in their slacks, shirt, and tie undo their entire mid-section wardrobe to take a wizz. They go just short of having their pants down around their ankles like a 5yr old. These are people with nothing hanging on their belts. I never understand why they go through all this trouble to have to re-tuck in the shirt and what not.
Old January 18, 2007, 12:30 PM   #17
Doug.38PR

Come on. Seems like we could all figure something out without discussing this on a public forum. Let's have a little class.
Old January 18, 2007, 12:55 PM   #18
Troponin

Quote:
Let's have a little class
I thought we did just have class. Was there something else you wanted to teach us? I thought it was an interesting topic. I never realized that restrooms were a major place for muggings and altercations because I never had one there.

You are free NOT to read any thread you like. If it was so repulsive, why did you continue reading?
Old January 18, 2007, 02:54 PM   #19
Glenn E. Meyer

Can someone actually report a case of a CCW type, who came to ill in the restroom because of his or her mode of carry when on the crapper?

I know the SWAT article mentioned seeing bad guys in the john that were avoided by team tactics, etc.
Old January 18, 2007, 03:08 PM   #20
Beckerich

I carry a nazi youth knife [ as far as i know its geniune so i like saying it, makes me feel special for owning a piece of history] and who ever said toilets are popular for muggings is right, in a train station toilet in dublin, just arrived, it took three hours to get there so i rushed in, there were three scangers
[ scum bags who were dirty track suits with shaved heads] smoking and i went to a urinal and i cud hear them openly whispering about the fella with longish hair so with my jacket open I brushed it aside so they cud see the hilt of the knife [ i have a pretty belt holster thing for it] and immediately heard the short one who sounded like a gremlim say " jaysus, wud yis look at that?"

so I felt safe after that.
Old January 18, 2007, 03:10 PM   #21
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

This could be a serious subject guys, but I'm already picking up on the winks, grins, and a few elbows to the ribs.

Let's keep this clean and minus the, um... graphic details.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old January 18, 2007, 03:20 PM   #22
Edward429451

Geez, I usually just hold the pistol in my hand until finished. Don't have to sit it down to be forgotten or to be germy. Total control, readiness, and since I take the 4 rules into the stall with me, no problems. Has worked for me.
Old January 18, 2007, 03:20 PM   #23
protectedbyglock

This thread is hilarious. I'm sorry, I'm still laughing at you, Red Grant. Nothing personal, but if that's not a joke, you are going a little overboard don't you think?
I have only had to go once in a public restroom. I'll admit, pretty awkward with my glock strapped to my belt. However, I just turned my gun and holster inside my pants a little (to keep it from hitting OR touching the floor) and I went about my business. If some weird stuff started going on outside, I would have simply grabbed it. It was still within my reach. At least when you're in the [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]ter, you know your back is covered!

However, I'm gonna have to design something along the lines of a "Tactical [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]ter Pant", complete with a zippered, removable a$$. Consider it patented. MY IDEA, don't you guys even THINK of stealing it!!
Apparently there is a market for it. Some of you need these things. Think of how good I'm gonna feel, knowing that I saved so many people from the hassle they now endure. Hell, I'm gonna be considered a hero! How many lives do you think I'll save with these pants?
Old January 18, 2007, 05:13 PM   #24
Doug.38PR

Quote:
This could be a serious subject guys, but I'm already picking up on the winks, grins, and a few elbows to the ribs.

Let's keep this clean and minus the, um... graphic details.
Serious subject? Okay, well I still say the subject is a little crude for discussion on a public forum.....like you said it certainly could do without the graphic details. Still, I have asked the question before, trying to stay away from the specific details, of whether a strip and cavity search is morally right and questioned whether it should be submitted to as a human being.

BUT, without going into graphic details, if I had to step into a restroom stall (which I almost NEVER do, just because they are so filthy these days), I would remove my coat, put the holster and gun in a deep inside coat pocket and hang it on the door. OR take the holster off and place it on a the top back of the commode. If I was wearing a shoulder holster then I would just take the coat off, and unfasten it from my belt. Nobody can see you in those stalls unless they make an effort. If they do and see you with a gun, you won't get in trouble because, in my mind (and I'm sure any cop's too) it is no different than them opening your coat or lifting your shirt to see what cell phone or knife or gun you have on your belt. They have invaded your privacy crossing your boundaries, you have not brandished anything. If they do see the gun and call anyone, the more important question is "what business did they have looking in your stall anyway?"
Old January 18, 2007, 05:21 PM   #25
Glenn E. Meyer

Sorry for being silly. However, carrying a Nazi youth knife - talk about a defense lawyer's nightmare.

Only crap in legit locations - like Nordstrom's or a high class restaurant. If you frequent low life places - what do you expect?

Use the handicapped stall to have more room to hide the gun.

I again wonder about how many folks with reasonable choice of excretory venue have had trouble with their concealed firearm when on the throne?

Such that they were disarmed, discovered as armed or successfully attacked? Being attacked because you were in the sleaze bag bar at 3:00 AM - no sympathy from me.