The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 29, 2007, 11:00 PM   #1
HighValleyRanch

New 10/22 stock mod project

Thought this follow along might be of interest to someone....
Started my 10/22 stock modification yesterday. I use an existing ruger stock for the project, and then bond and add wood where I need to do the modifications. The anschutz style grip has a lag bolt imbedded through it into the original stock, so it's super strong. The cheek rest wil adjust up and down on two posts with a locking allen in between. Using a nylon spacer for desired height. I installed an accessory rail under the new fore end that is now wide and trapazoid shape for bench as well.

The second photo shows a similar mod that I used to make for college and military teams shooting the winchester 52 wanting anschutz type stocks.

Will be posting a few pages on my website to show how this can be done to any traditional rifle stock. Stock will be filled, painted and stippled in grip and fore end

This glue up and work was started yesterday and done on some spare time in the shop.
Old July 29, 2007, 11:29 PM   #2
DGindlesperger

Super job and idea !!!. Been thinking about trying to build a stock for my 10/22 and never thought of using the old factory one as a base. Rock on !!
Old July 30, 2007, 07:43 AM   #3
Abndoc

Head on over to rimfirecentral. They have more modified 10/22 stocks than you can shake a stick at. Some of the posts give step by step directions with photos.
Old July 30, 2007, 07:59 AM   #4
fisherman66

Please keep us informed. I hate the Beech stick on mine, but not as much as I did before I opened this thread.
Old August 7, 2007, 01:05 PM   #5
HighValleyRanch

Update on stock mod project

I posted this on rimfire central forums as well, but there are many here who don't frequent that site, so this might be interest to someone here as well.
Remember this mod can be done to any trad stock. For heavy calibers I suggest moving to a thumb hold stock, although with a metal lag bolt going through the grip area into the origianl stock it should be strong enough for many centerfire lighter calibers.
Remeber this is what it looked like before:

(not mine, just a stock photo of the carbine stock)

Worked about two hours getting the bolt and holes drilled for the adjustable cheek rest and the hole for the locking allen cap screw. This is the trickiest part, and has to be done while the stock is still square stock for line up. You can't mold, sculp till these are done.
Then spent around two hours hand shaping the buttstock, cutout and grip on my sanding mandrel. Used drums and disc to free shape. Afterwards applied some bondo to the are by the grip so it flowed better and sanded back out. Will leave it like this until I take it to the range to see how it feels. Grip area will dremeled as well as fore end. The light bipod I welded up and fited to the rail.
You can just see the two plastic spacers in between the cheekrest and stock.

Old August 8, 2007, 05:11 AM   #6
Martyn4802

Good job!!
Looks great!!!

Martyn
Old August 8, 2007, 07:21 AM   #7
joshua

Wow! That's a great looking project you started. Please keep posting your progress. I don't have much wood working experience, I wish I had your talent. josh
Old August 13, 2007, 09:42 PM   #8
DGindlesperger

lets see more
Old August 15, 2007, 12:54 PM   #9
HighValleyRanch

latest update on project

Quote:
lets see more
My brother lives in Portland. Like that area!

Here's the latest on the project. Installed a VQ muzzle weighted barrel made for aquila subsonic SSS ammo. Even with the aimpoint 2000 and cheap walmart ammo I am getting 1 inch groups at 50 yards with the new barrel. (that's a quarter by the group and two "operator flyers"!

Haven't done anything to the action or bedded it yet. Just the stock mod and new barrel and free floated. Happy with the results so far.
Sticking with the dot sight because my eyes aren't that good for irons any more.
The finish is Krylon prime/texture paint/krylon olive camo.
The grip area and fore end are stipple with a dremel.
Notice how I topped off to expose the receiver and flattened the round portion of the grip for the more "modular" appearance. If I lay my thumb right on that flattened portion, I get an nice straight back pull with the trigger. The grip is also undercut right at the top of the stippled area for an over hang feeling. I really like this grip having wandered over from the pistol world side.
One photo shows the rail I installed- anschutz narrow type rail. and temporary home made bipod that slides into the rail. I like the rail because I will be able to fabricate other accessories such as a hand stop or whatever as I need.
Planning on using this .22 for learning my 4 position basics, but more practical/tactical/field rather than small bore. It balances really nice with the balance point just forward of the mag hole, so it will be nice for off hand. Still considering instally an adjustable butt and shortening the butt for it.
But that might run another 150.00 just for the adjustable butt plate.
I already had the 10/22 and the aimpoint 2000, so I'm only into 140.00 for the new Volquartsen barrel for this project so far....and the cost of the paint. Had the rail already

Old August 15, 2007, 01:37 PM   #10
Magnum Wheel Man

That's very nice...

Awesome job !!!

I've been wanting to play around with some wood as well... but haven't found the time...

I personally wouldn't have gone the route you did ( though I can really appriciate the work you did to yours )... after I bought a couple of thumb hole laminate Faigen stocks ( I have a camo color laminated thumb hole on my 10-22 )... I'm thinking lots more of my guns should be wearing thumb hole stocks... plus I have lots of burled Walnut stock blanks my father in law & I cut many years ago...

realistically I don't have time to work on a rifle stock right now, but plan to buy some pistol grip material & begin with some simple grips this winter...
Old May 1, 2013, 05:19 PM   #11
Moves

High Valley - I'd sure like to see the pix you had posted on this thread. Interested in maybe converting my 10/22. The only pix that is still posted here looks like the very rifle I used in college when captaining the rifle team. The good old days..
Old May 2, 2013, 12:58 PM   #12
tahunua001

WHO OPENED THE BOOK OF THE DEAD!?
THIS zOMBIE'S STILL TWITCHING!