The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 27, 2009, 12:46 PM   #1
RobsImprza00

Converting to Autoload

I bought a new mini 14 ranch rifle, nonautoloading version. It came with a shorter yet thicker barrel making it more accurate than the traditional mini.

My problem is i really hate how its nonautoloading (semiauto). From what i understand the only thing that is different from this version is the gasblock and the non ported barrel.

I cant find any legal statements from NH that say its illegal to modify the action from bolt action to semi. Would there be any flaws to this plan or can someone point me in the correct direction to find this information?

Thanks,
Rob
Old June 27, 2009, 01:41 PM   #2
Notenoughguns

Ruger makes a mini that you have to manually cycle the bolt? Or are you talking going full-auto?
Old June 27, 2009, 02:24 PM   #3
publius

If it's a bolt action it's not a Mini 14 and there is no way you are going to turn it into a semi auto.
Old June 27, 2009, 06:27 PM   #4
Slopemeno

Post a pic of that Mini- sounds like it was customized by someone..
Old June 27, 2009, 07:29 PM   #5
jaguarxk120

If you go on to the Ruger web site they have serial number listings as to when your rifle was made. The mini 14 ranch rifle was always a auto loader. You can find out the year of mfg. from the number listings.
Old June 27, 2009, 07:34 PM   #6
hoytinak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobsImprza00
My problem is i really hate how its nonautoloading (semiauto).
From this statement, I'm getting that he want's to convert it from semi-auto to full-auto....which is a great idea if you don't have any plans for the next 10 or so years.
Old June 27, 2009, 07:56 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

If by NH the OP means New Hampshire, converting a semi-auto to full auto is illegal in the entire U.S., under federal law.

Besides, it would not be easy. Ruger makes a full auto version of the Mini for police use, but the internal parts are different. Neither the full auto guns nor the auto parts are sold to the public.

I do wonder, though, if the OP might have a gun that someone changed from a semi-auto to a straight pull bolt gun, maybe for hunting where semi-autos are illegal or restricted. If so, that change could probably be reversed.

Jim
Old June 27, 2009, 09:50 PM   #8
Walther22lr

After reading RobsImprza00 posts here http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=343380 it appears that his gun is missing the essential parts to properly function as a semi-auto. It was built as a straight pull from the description in the thread above.

I would try Ruger to see if they can convert it to a normal semi-auto configuration. Failing that, see if the seller will take it back as you were under the impression you were purchasing a semi-auto and not a manual straight pull.

If that does not work, see about selling it as a collectors item. I am sure someone will want it.
Old June 28, 2009, 01:21 AM   #9
Bill DeShivs

He said he bought it new. I doubt Ruger makes such a monster.
Old June 28, 2009, 03:28 PM   #10
RobsImprza00

The gun is bolt operated after each round. I always thought the mini 14 was semi auto. When i shot it the first time, it didnt cycle. So i broke it down because i thought it was missing somthing. It didnt have a ported hole or the gas block.

I contacted Ruger support gave them the serial number and they verified that this # was a special run series put out by Ruger.

I gaurantee it is not autoloading.

Quote from RUGER!

Quote:

Response:
This model was a special run we made and cannot be made into a auto-loading rifle.

If you need further information, please visit our website at www.ruger.com or contact us at:

Revolvers, shotguns, rifles, 10/22 Charger Pistol: (603) 865-2442
Pistols: (928) 778-6555
Serial Number History Information: (603) 865-2424

Please note: This e-mail is sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

Sincerely,
Ruger Firearms

Old June 28, 2009, 03:29 PM   #11
RobsImprza00

I just figured since all it needs is a gas block and port it is fesible.

But Im just trying to verify if there are any laws that i would break if i did so.

old pic but, that is the gun
Old June 28, 2009, 07:05 PM   #12
James K
Member In Memoriam

To quote someone, "I'll be dingdonged!"

I never heard of that or knew that Ruger made such a gun, and I think I would take Ruger's word that the rifle cannot be converted to a semi-auto.

Aside from the mechanics, I wouldn't touch it, as it should be a highly desireable collectors item. I suspect Ruger collectors would pay you enough to buy a couple of regular semi-autos if that is what you want.

AFAIK, no federal laws would be broken in making it a semi-auto, and I doubt there are any state laws, except maybe in CA or NJ.

Jim