The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 12, 2001, 06:32 AM   #1
Rob96

For a general purpose Defensive shotgun.......

Do you get just as much utility out of the Mossberg Persuader, Winchester 1300 Defender or the Remington 870 Home Defense as compared to the Mossberg 590? For that matter how does the Maverick Home Defense shotgun compare to the others ? As you can tell I am in the market for a defensive shotgun but don't know a lot about them.
Old October 12, 2001, 06:40 AM   #2
Captain Bligh

If you really want a "general purpose" defensive shot gun, you might want to consider getting a non-home defense version like a regular Remington 870 Express. Then pay an extra $100 more or less for a 18 1/2" home defense barrel for it. Then you have a gun that is truly general purpose. With a long barrel it's suitable for shooting clay pigeons or for hunting applications. When it's wearing the short barrel, it's a home defense gun.

I find dedicated home defense gun to look way cool but have limited use beyond home defense. Added to that, I'm not convinced that most of us everyday citizens need the extra rounds carried in an extended magazine of a home defense gun.

But, just in case I am wrong, I keep an extra five rounds handy in a butt cuff on my 870 Express.

If you truly decide you want a home defense gun, I think any of the big three would be suitable: Remington, Mossburg, Winchester.

RJ
Old October 12, 2001, 08:33 AM   #3
AAshooter

Consider: www.vangcomp.com

They make great tactical shotguns used by many police departments.
Old October 12, 2001, 08:58 AM   #4
Benjamin

Quote:
Do you get just as much utility out of the Mossberg Persuader, Winchester 1300 Defender or the Remington 870 Home Defense as compared to the Mossberg 590?
If they fit you and are as comfortable to operate, then yes.

There are at least a dozen old threads on choosing a defensive shotgun - I would recommend that you search for them. The search button is in the upper right hand corner of your screen.

The real deciding factor is how comfortable you are with its operation, and how much time you are willing to spend practicing.
Closed Thread