The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 2, 2012, 04:44 PM   #1
Blade37db

Benelli question: ComforTech vs Inertia System

I'd love to be able to rent/try each of these before buying, but that's not going to be an option. My question to those to who have tried both: which has less felt recoil - a pump (SuperNova) with the ComforTech system (stock) or an inertia driven semi (M2) without the ComforTech system ? Both in 12 gauge "tactical".

Thanks.
Old July 2, 2012, 05:45 PM   #2
BigJimP

There won't be a huge difference in my experience...

but I think the pump gun - because its a fixed breech ...if you fire the same shell in both guns ....will give you a little more recoil than the semi-auto without the comfort tech system in it.

Some of it will come down to the weight of each gun ... the M-2 Tactical without the comfort tech is about 6.7 lbs ...and the super nova tactical is around 7.8 lbs... and the extra pound of weight will reduce the recoil about 15% ( just based on the weight of the gun --- which is a major factor in calculating recoil )...but I still think the M2 Tactical will shoot a little softer / not nearly as much as if it had the comfort tech system in it of course.
Old July 2, 2012, 08:28 PM   #3
jmr40

I own a couple of M-1 Benelli's made before the comfortech stocks. My guns are right at 7 lbs. The older Nova (again pre-comfortech stock) I used to own was almost exactly 8 lbs. The M-1's are softer shooters. The Nova can have the Mercury recoil reducer added to the stock, but it is another 1/2 lb on an already heavy gun.

That is not exactly what you are looking for, but was what I've owned and shot. Hope it helps with a little perspective
Old July 3, 2012, 09:19 AM   #4
Blade37db

Thanks guys! Based on the Benelli site, it looks like the SuperNovas are only a 1/2 pound heavier than the M2s.
Old July 3, 2012, 09:38 AM   #5
DAP90

I don’t have an M2 but I have a Supernova and a Vinci; both with the ComforTech stock.

Neither beats me up but I’d say the Vinci kick’s a hair more just due to its lighter weight.
Old July 3, 2012, 11:53 AM   #6
BigJimP

1/2 lb is still going to make a difference in recoil reduction - maybe 8% or so ....weight of the gun is a big factor ( and a big misunderstood factor by a lot of new shooters )...

but most any semi-auto ....merely because its not a fixed breech gun / will absorb more energy even though they're quite a bit lighter.

( the only semi-autos I shoot much at all anymore are Benelli Super Sport models - with the comfort tech system in them -- in 12ga and 20ag ...and they've been very good guns for about 6 yrs or so...)...
Old July 4, 2012, 12:58 AM   #7
Creeper

This is a personal, somewhat subjective, or "limited perspective", observation on my part... but it's worth a look if you answer yes to a few of the "Ifs".

If this going to be a tactical gun... and if, at 14.4", the LOP might be a bit long for you... or you tend to wear lots of (bulky) layers of clothing... and if you don't mind a pistol grip... and if you think you might be willing to spend a few extra bucks for a stock (lots of "Ifs" here)... you may want to consider a Mesa Tactical Urbino stock, for either M2 or SuperNova.

I picked up a M2T with pistol grip stock a few years ago and, due to many previously broken bones, had difficulty shooting more than 100 full power rounds thru it, at a time, without pain. With the Urbino stock, which has a 2 inch shorter LOP and a nice Limbsaver pad... I can literally shoot all day.

Cheers,
C