The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 30, 2009, 07:51 PM   #1
verti89

Issue with PT140 mag release

My dad has the pt140 and likes the gun now that he is used to the trigger. But he is having issues with the mag release, basically every time he fired the mag release button is getting hit and wants to drop out causing failures to feed. He is making sure to keep his thumb off when squeezing the trigger so we decided it is in the recoil that the gun is just sliding enough to make his thumb bump the release. Any ideas on an easy solution for this. He is going to try a different grip next time with his thumb below the release wrapping over his middle finger, and I mentioned that a rubber grip might prevent the movement causing the touching, or maybe even getting a gunsmith to file out the thumb recession that is barely there. Anyhow just thought I would throw this out there to see what you guys think, I suppose its also possible that there is actually something wrong with the gun. Thanks
Old March 30, 2009, 07:53 PM   #2
David the Gnome

My PT111 did the exact same thing. My hands were just too big for it. I ended up selling mine to someone with smaller hands.
Old March 30, 2009, 07:54 PM   #3
kristop64089

Common problem. It happened to mine repeatedly. It sounds like a defective mag release.
I sold it, (really liked the gun otherwise). Time to send it to Taurus. Or try to fix yourself.
Sorry it wasn't the news ya wanted to hear.
Old March 30, 2009, 08:04 PM   #4
rrstivers

The mag release button on most Taurus pistols can be reversed to the right side. See the taurus forums for information on changing the mag release.