The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 8, 2001, 10:13 PM   #1
Little Buck

Low Recoil Buckshot?

I've seen these advertised, but have never seen, let alone used, them.
A few questions.
Is the recoil reduced that much?
What do these loads pattern like (compared to standard loads)?
Who makes them, and who has the best prices?

Thanks
LB
Old October 9, 2001, 12:16 AM   #2
9mmLaw

I have tried the Winchester Reduced Recoil and I cannot tell the difference. I cannot answer your other questions although the Winchester does tear up a target @ 21 feet.
Old October 9, 2001, 06:48 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Predicting the best buck for a particular shotgun is like predicting the winner in the 7th at Hialeah next Monday. You have an idea, make a guess, but nobody knows for sure until it's over.

Standard buck works for me. I'm big, experienced, and LIKE shotguns. However, I did try some reduced recoil buck from Estate, and found it was a tighter pattern in my buckshooters than my old duty load(Winchester standard 00, or the Federal equivalent. Recoil was less, but I hesitate to quantify.Others here also tried some out, and universally approved of same.

If regular 00 bothers you, this will also, probably.

One nice thing. Natchez sells this, the SWAT load, for $2.19 a TEN pack on sale periodically. it's cheaper, patterns tighter, kicks less. No visible downside,but YMMV....
Old October 9, 2001, 09:09 AM   #4
Recon

Federal Tactical has less recoil and patterns tighter in all of my guns. If you are using a semi some have problems with anything but fullhouse loads. It is definetly the ticket in 3 gun style matches and a lot of dept. are going to it rather than actually spend the time and money to teach proper usage of the shotgun. It does help the smaller officers.
Old October 9, 2001, 09:14 AM   #5
LIProgun

I feel a significant reduction in recoil in "tactical" buck (and slug) loads. In my experience, these loads tend to pattern tighter than standard or magnum loads, but each gun is different, and may pattern better with the hotter loads.

In addition to the excellent Federal and Estate tac buck loads, there are also the Remington Reduced Recoil loads (8 and 9 pellet 00; slugs). The 8-pellet 00 load is starting to develop a reputation for particularly tight patterning in different guns. I'll speculate that the loss of one pellet (i.e., the typical 00 load is 9 pellets) allows for less bumping and deformation as the pellets travel down the bore.

- Leonidas of Sparta, 480 B.C.
Old October 9, 2001, 09:30 AM   #6
RHC

I feel some reduction with the Estate tactical, but not a huge amount. The 8 pellet does indeed pattern much tighter for me.
Old October 9, 2001, 11:19 AM   #7
Clayton

The Federal Tactical load is the most popular. I have fired quite a bit of it, and it is excellent. The Winchester 00B load is also good.

www.ammoman.com
Old October 9, 2001, 11:48 AM   #8
PJR

I've used both the Federal Tactical and Winchester Low Recoil offerings and they seem to drop the recoil down to about a heavy trap load.

The Winchester didn't pattern that well through my 18" cylinder choked Remington but the Federal Tactical patterned very well. I attribute the improved performance to the copper plated pellets in the Federal.

A couple of Federal Tacticals in a two-shell belt holder go with me on upland hunting trips. Even out of my light game gun, the Federal is not too punishing and is just the ticket for coyotes or other predators requiring something a little larger than birdshot.
Old October 9, 2001, 09:51 PM   #9
shooter1201

I'm an LEO and am currently using Estate brand SWAT 'low recoil' tactical 00 in my Beretta 1201FP and Mossberg 590. IMO, the recoil is MUCH reduced...akin to firing skeet loads. I shoot a LOT of hi-brass 12GA and was immediately aware of the reduced recoil. So far, the patterns(out to 25 yards) have been slightly tighter than when using Magnum 00.
Old October 10, 2001, 07:15 AM   #10
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Little Buck, you may note the vast differences reported. Some folks do not see much reduction, some do. There's a couple of reasons for this.

People vary in how much kick they can tolerate. Shotguns also vary greatly in weight. A load that may be a hard kicker for a tyro with a standard 870 riot gun that weighs about 7 lbs will seem a creampuff to a veteran shotgunner using better form and a 9 lb over-accessorized Loudenboomer SP Mag.

The new reduced recoil buck can be a boon to the average dept/agency for getting the non shooters in the ranks more effective.These oft unmotivated and lackadaisical troops never, repeat, never practice on their own time, regard range training as an ordeal, and are as effective with a shotgun as a 16 year old new driver would be in a NASCAR race. Starting these types off as rookies in training with the lighter stuff means fewer build flinches right from Shot One, and thus are more likely to be dangerous only to the right people.

CAVEATS:

I do not like the idea of 00 Lite for deer hunting. Buck is, IMO, marginal anyway for that purpose. I do know that some hunters use it safely, effectively and ethically, but plenty of them do not.

And, the same old song about patterning and practice still rings true. It takes range time to determine the best load for a particular situation.
Old October 10, 2001, 12:21 PM   #11
5pins

For the most part I’m not much a shot gunner but though I would try some buck shot in my Beretta Vitoria auto 12ga with a 24in barrel with a modified choke. On my way to the range I stopped at the store to pick up some 00 buck. They had some Federal Tactical 00 buck (H132 00), so I got one box of this and one box of their standard 00 buck (F127 00).

At the range I set up a NRA B24 at 10 yds and shot one round of each type. First was the standard buckshot. It hit point of aim with a 7in spread with all pellets inside of the 8 ring. Next up was the tactical load. It also hit point of aim with a 5in spread. It would have been a 4in spread but one pellet pulled put from the main group just out of the 9 ring. I then set the targets out to 20 yds and repeated the test. The standard buckshot had a spread of a little over 11 in with most pellets hitting a little high and left. The tactical load had a spread of 101/2 in with an even spread.

The tactical load had a notably less recoil then the standard load. Functioning of both loads was good with no malfunctions. Although five rounds of each type is not a conclusive test, I think that if I ever have the need for buckshot I will go with the 00 buck tactical load.
Old October 10, 2001, 06:18 PM   #12
DOCSpanky

WARNING!

If your tuned clays gun is also your "house gun" be aware the reduction in recoil may not properly cycle some automatic actions. Buy SEVERAL boxes from several brands and make ABSOLUTELY sure they will cycle your action properly. $30 in ammo beats the hell outta your action failing to cycle when you need it!

DOC