The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 3, 2014, 07:44 PM   #1
chipchip

single stage press

I plan on loading 6.5 Creedmoor and 204 Ruger. Looking at single stage presses for this. Anyone better than another. Thinking about a Redding, but can get a good deal on a Lyman.
I read some where that the quality is about the same on single stage presses, it's more about the dies you use.
Old May 3, 2014, 07:52 PM   #2
Bart B.

Few, if any, single stages equal what the RCBS Rockchucker does. Except maybe the RCBS massive A2. A National champion called the 'Chucker the "Timex" of presses; "It takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'."
Old May 3, 2014, 08:32 PM   #3
Valornor

Psh, I have a Corbin Mega Might press I do all my precision work on. 70lbs of rock solid press, made by American tool and die makers with precision second to none. It'll swage lead and copper into a bullet so precise that you'll be the envy of every precision shooter out there. You'll also pay $1200 or more for it and $1700 for a set of dies. (Ok, perhaps I'm over selling it a bit.)

So yeah, save your wallet go with the rockchucker.

Looking for a new blog dealing with firearms and reloading, check out http://theheadstamp.com/
Old May 3, 2014, 10:42 PM   #4
Blindstitch

Quality of press vs quality of produced ammo seems like a better question. A $20 lee will get you just as far as the others for cheap and they stand by their products. Then you also have more money to buy the best dies. Although I also like my Lee dies but if it wern't for price I might have bought more RCBS dies.
Old May 4, 2014, 12:45 AM   #5
Clark

I own and have used a lot of single stage presses.
I can't think of any bad ones, except the one that is one inch from my elbow right now and clamped to my desk, a Lee reloader press. They used to be $20 new. They still work well for decapping and sizing pistol brass while watching TV on the computer.

So it boils down to what you like.
I don't like my rockchucker. It puts too much force on the bench, and can lift the bench, so I wind up weighting the bench with 150 pounds or bolting it to the wall.

I do like the little cast Aluminum RCBS partner presses. I have two mounted in my vehicle year round.

In the reloading room I have a pair of co-ax presses that get used the most.

I make some of my own dies and with one of them has a press on either end. So the press on top is upside down and a Lee Reloader press is nice a light for that task. The bottom press pushes the case into the die. The top press forms the soft Lead ball into the bullet shape inside the case so it will form gas seal on the brass and the lands for ultra quiet 50 cal BB gun sound.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old May 4, 2014, 01:11 AM   #6
Scimmia

For the most part, there's not a ton of difference when you're talking steel/iron O-frame presses. Lee's Classic Cast will do just as well as a Rock Chuck will do just as well as a Big Boss II. There may be some differences for heavy loads (IE swaging bullets) or very large rounds (50 BMG, etc), but since you're not talking about anything like that, they're all good. I actually prefer the Lee primer catching system over the Rock Chucker.

There are a few different ones out there, specifically Foster Co-Ax would be a good example.

Of course, on the low end you can get C-frame presses that would do just fine for small calibers and on the high end, well, things get a bit crazy.
Old May 4, 2014, 06:15 AM   #7
Gdawgs

Which Lyman press are you looking at? Most of their products are excellent quality.
Old May 4, 2014, 07:07 AM   #8
mehavey

I've used a Lyman Orange Crush since `88 (bought so I could get a Sharps 45-3¼ into the opening).
Since then I've also bought an RCBS Rockchucker Supreme for YoungSon as a gift since that's what could find at the time.

Either will do fine -- for a lifetime.

Last edited by mehavey; May 4, 2014 at 08:17 AM.
Old May 4, 2014, 07:25 AM   #9
Ozzieman

I like the Rockchucker and have been using mine for over 30 years. I will agree with Clark, you do need a good strong bench to bolt it to. The frame on mine is made up of treated 4X4 and it’s bolted to it.
If you do get a Rockchucker you will use it forever, get one of these handles. Over the years you use it you will be happy you got one.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/721...le-stage-press

The best press I have ever used is the following Sinclair press. The great thing about it is that the shell is completely open and it can be used right or left handed.
http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadin...prod33635.aspx

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old May 4, 2014, 08:06 AM   #10
chipchip

Was looking at the Lyman Crusher ll
Old May 4, 2014, 08:22 AM   #11
stubbicatt

You will be happy with the Lyman. My first press was the T-Mag. The turret would wobble something fierce, and I was unable to make that stop. I had concentricity issues which, at the time, I attributed to this wobble. In hindsight, it was probably the expander ball. Nonetheless, I sold that press and began a lifetime search for the "best" one.

Today I use both a Lee CC Turret, and am happy with it for straight wall pistol and blasting type 308. Additionally, I have a RCBS Summit, and while I haven't figured it all out yet, it works especially well, and doesn't heave the bench at all. In fact, I "C" clamp it to the dining room table, and it works fine. I would add that if you think you may be case forming or any of those really high stress type activities, your initial choice of the Lyman or perhaps a Rock Chucker would be better for you, I think.
Old May 4, 2014, 09:14 AM   #12
chipchip

That Sinclair press looks very tempting for what I'm loading.
Old May 4, 2014, 09:40 AM   #13
Hog Buster

Number 1 Forster Co-ax, Number 2 RCBS Rock Chucker, then down the list with Lee bringing up the rear.
Old May 4, 2014, 11:58 AM   #14
mikld

Ask 30 reloaders what's the best press and you'll get 35 different answers. I've owned (and sold because of a messy divorce ) mebbe a dozen presses. I have a press made in the 60s that still puts out excellent reloads; a C-H cast iron single stage. I've owned Lee aluminum presses, C-H aluminum presses, iron/steel presses from Lee, Pacific, and Redding. I was able to make good, safe ammo on each press, and none was any easier to use than another of similar design. Choose a modern press from one of the major manufacturers and you'll be set for many years of reloading...
Old May 5, 2014, 01:03 AM   #15
Lost Sheep

A new kid (old family) on the block

RCBS Summit press has an interesting design. Worth a look.

Lost Sheep
Old May 5, 2014, 01:27 AM   #16
10-96

I've been very happy with my Herter's Super 81 press- the thing is built like a tank- a big tank at that. Hardly ever see them for sale any more though.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old May 5, 2014, 07:02 AM   #17
adrians

My Rock Chucker has served me well from the get go , strong and reliable.
I also have an older Pacific super deluxe press which gets a work out every so often...and a Lee Challenger press which I use for light duty stuff although it is strong enough for more robust work..

All are great presses but the RCBS gets my vote...
Old May 5, 2014, 07:16 AM   #18
kerreckt

I have a Lee Classic and a RCBS Rockchucker and there really isn't any difference in performance. The Rockchucker costs about $50 more. Both have between 15-20 years of use. Never any problems with either press. Both are excellent tools.I guess it comes down to which color, red or green, best coordinates with your reloading room.(LOL)
Old May 5, 2014, 08:50 AM   #19
Bart B.

OK; lean, green loading machine. No wonder I had to paint my ancient, Pacific C press's dinged up light blue paint with matching metallic RCBS green paint. Used the same paint on my old Redding powder measure and beam scale's body's reddish brown to match the RCBS Uniflow measure. Those off-color tools told me they were "green with envy" so I decided to make them look like they felt.

Last edited by Bart B.; May 5, 2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old May 5, 2014, 05:08 PM   #20
WESHOOT2

Redding
Lyman Crusher II (have)
RCBS
And, of course, the Forster/Bonanza CoAx (have)....
Old May 6, 2014, 10:28 PM   #21
grisbald

I've got a Lee single stage (was my first press) and still use it quite a bit.
Old May 8, 2014, 07:46 AM   #22
SWThomas

Forster Co-Ax.
Old May 8, 2014, 07:52 AM   #23
jaguarxk120

How much do you have invested in the two rifles?

Now is the time to go out and buy a $20 press and dies.
Old May 8, 2014, 08:05 AM   #24
reloader28

I would have to say
Forster co-ax
Redding
RCBS
Lyman
Lee
in that order.