The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 13, 2012, 05:04 PM   #26
Webleymkv

Blue Train, I actually have an idea that would, I think, present a solution to the conundrum you describe. Were it up to me, a basic firearms safety course would be incorporated into the curriculum of the public school system. While I'm sure that the anti's would object furiously, other controversial subjects like Darwinism and sex education have been incorporated into the curricula of most public schools despite objections, and I fail to see how firearm safety is substantially different.

Originally posted by Glock Guy
Quote:
I think it's a terrible idea. The maturity difference in the two ages are too far from each other imo.
If that's the case (and I'm not saying that it is), then perhaps we should also raise the age to serve in the military, vote, enter legal contracts, marry, and be prosecuted as an adult to 21 as well. After all, if someone who is 18 isn't mature enough to carry a firearm, then he/she probably isn't mature enough to be regarded as an adult in most other respects as well.
Old March 14, 2012, 06:59 PM   #27
BarryLee

Well, good news various firearms related bills are still floating around, but bad news the Brady Bunch is in town for a rally. I have attached a little update from the Atlanta media.

http://www.ajc.com/news/georgia-gove...n-1385249.html
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old March 14, 2012, 08:43 PM   #28
Tom Servo
Staff

Apparently, the Bradys have reached out to Georgians for Gun Safety, an organization that hasn't received a dime in funding since 2004. They haven't even been able to update their website in years.

Let 'em have their rally: all twelve of them.