The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old September 25, 2000, 07:37 PM   #1
LASur5r

I was at the local range doing a little stress relief, when a bunch of businessmen came in. I was packing up so I backed out of the bay and watched for a few minutes.

They were Japanese, (Dragontooth?) and obviously there was a lot of respect going on. They had rented two bays and after a little discussion, one after the other of the businessmen took off their jackets and fired (looked like a stainless S & Klinton .38 with a 7 inch barrel. They all quietly watched and what was probably the big boss came (he was older than the rest and everyone moved aside to let him shoot) He fired a couple rounds, then they all applauded politely. I couldn't figure where the rounds were going...they were shooting at 21 feet at a B-27 target.
Then what was obviously a young man junior to this group was encouraged to shoot the gun. First round in the 10 ring, second one same place...A collective sound sort of like a low moaning came out of the group.
There was a young attractive lady who was standing in the background...the wife or girlfriend? The young man was immediately sent to the other bay to show the young lady how to shoot while the rest of the group stayed to play up to the older man.
Since they were speaking Japanese, i couldn't figure it all out without subtitles. Sorry. Dragontooth? What is your interpretation?

Another time when I was visiting a local range, I was starting to unpack when I saw this young man in dark glasses, the wraparound type non-shooting ones, stood with his left side facing down range and his body parallel to the baffles...from time to time, he'd jump into an isoceles stance, deep squat, and make shooting noises. He'd do this a lot of times, then finally he'd cock the pistol and touch a round off, but the recoil would push his hands up until he pointed the barrel at the ceiling and he would almost lose control of his weapon. It sounded like a 9mm.
I repacked my gear keeping my eyes on him all the time, went outside to alert the rangemaster, then left.

One time I saw a very brave (or very foolish) act, but since it worked, it was very brave and foolish.
There were three guys on the range with one guy going into rapid fire with no control over his weapon after he fired the first round.
The first time, one of the rangemasters announced over the loud speaker, "No rapid firing."
The second time, a range master came onto the firing line and said quietly to the threesome that the range did not permit rapid firing.
The third time, the same range master came and ask the violators to pack it up. He wasn't packing, but he executed the sweetest disarm that I've seen on the big mouth of the group.
When his buddies turned with their firearms in their hands, I heard about six or seven hammers get eared back and as I looked, there were several guys from their positions on the firing line, who had their guns at low ready facing the direction of the bad boys. I was impressed...Here's a bunch of shooters',strangers to all,but sharing the shooting sport in common, ready to back up the range master.
They packed up and left in a huff, after paying the range fees of course.

Anybody else have any stories about the times they've been to the range and seen such goings on?
Old September 25, 2000, 08:20 PM   #2
johnwill

I stay away from such ranges, both of the ranges I go to are private clubs. That kind of stuff only happens once, and you're out on your ear.
Old September 25, 2000, 08:49 PM   #3
Mal H
Staff

Moving to the range report forum - "Lock and Load"....
Old September 25, 2000, 11:06 PM   #4
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Commercial ranges often can not afford to replace light fixtures and target carriers after getting hit by careless shooters.
Often these shooters fire as fast as possible and dont understand that rapid is different from "as fast as you can".
Old September 26, 2000, 07:37 AM   #5
M1911

I'm with John Will. I don't go to public ranges. I'm a member at a couple clubs. And as the VP and chief range safety officer of one of them, I can attest that such behavior will get someone thrown out permanently.

M1911
Old September 26, 2000, 10:24 AM   #6
Gopher .45

The major problems I have had at any range have not been with intentional idiocy, but with ignorance and mostly with ignorance of safety. All but one event where I felt threatened by a person with a gun were on gun ranges and careless behavior, the other being a "show and tell" in the back room. I usually try to nicely provide a verbal correction to what is being done wrong and usually people take it to heart. Then again, I have left a public range on more than one occasion because of safety concerns.
Old September 26, 2000, 01:02 PM   #7
dragontooth73

i just happened to read this thread by chance ... hmm LASur5er it sounds definitely like a company outing *duh*

my read? well i'm missing out on some of the body language but ...

(1) the boss definitely brought his retinue along ... the probably set the whole excursion up as a way for him to show off his macho alpha dog theatrics.

(2) the chic is definitely his daughter (remarriage is traditionally frowned on in japan and very uncommon) ... notice she is in the background (subservient role) ... older wives would never goto a shooting range (too barbaric?)

(3) the young man is either a relative such as a nephew, or a protege of the boss groomed for something.

(4) the low moaning you heard, LASur5er, probably sounds like "ohhhh (my gawd)" ... which is the same as "ooooo (nice shot") ... try golfing with a whole bunch of japanese, when they make sounds like they've flubbed a shot it actually is a compliment (but most corporate japanese suck at golf so they DID flub the shot, but that's something else).

(5) the young guy helping out the girl means probably that he's a protege and maybe slated as a potential marriage candidate.

that's my read on it ... speaking of range theatrics there was a case where a girl last year in japan carried home a box of .223 rounds ... which in japan is a strict no-no at the range coz private home possession of firearms and ammos is illegal ... so to ditch them she threw them out in the trash can outside her home ... when the garbage truck started to compact the bags the rounds went off inside ... garbage men had a fright ... nasty incident ... needless to say her shooting license was revoked.

in japan, there's a saying ... "stupidity is an incurable condition" ...

[This message has been edited by dragontooth73 (edited September 26, 2000).]
Old September 27, 2000, 12:31 AM   #8
jcoyoung

My guess is that the crack shot dude was sent away because he was shooting better than his boss. To show that he is a better shot is a great disrespect to the elder shooter.
Old September 27, 2000, 08:56 AM   #9
dragontooth73

it's not disrespect, it's just embarassment to be in the same place at the same time ... for the young guy to remain there while the boss was shooting, he'd have to start flubbing a few shots to prop the boss's "face".

besides, i think the whole group knew that the young guy could shoot ... which is why they sent him off to teach the young lady. which might also be a reason why they all showed up there in the first place (so he could show off his skills, and the couple could have an excuse to get together) ... and the boss gets to blast off a few .22s and look good
Old September 27, 2000, 09:05 AM   #10
DorGunR

I think dragontooth73 nailed it with his last post. His assessment sounds right on.
What do I base this on?
I spent 15 years in the Far East and my wife of 27 years is Korean.

------------------
"Lead, follow or get the HELL out of the way."
Old September 27, 2000, 09:52 PM   #11
dragontooth73

so is my mom you're very lucky sir, koreans cook so well
Old September 28, 2000, 08:07 AM   #12
DorGunR

dragontooth73,
You are right about Koreans being great cooks, I'm always having to watch my weight.
You must be like my Son....a hapa haloe (SP?) he is now 24 yo and has a black belt in Tae Kwon Do and is currently studying Kungfu.
Take care.
Old September 29, 2000, 11:47 AM   #13
dragontooth73

komaossumida, DorGunR, chinese-korean-haole here sir, mahalo for the greeting