The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 28, 2011, 02:35 AM   #1
WyrTwister

Clean and lube Lee Loadmaster

I am waiting on conversion parts ( ordered Monday ) for .45 ACP . Used up all my .38 Special brass and bullets ( need to start casting some more ) .

Decided to use the " down time " to clean & lube the LM . This time I used Tetra grease , bought to lube the Garand & M1A .

Running the LM w/o primers & brass , it seems to be operating smother than before ( last time I used some CLP I had handy ) .

I have had this press less than a week , so I guess I am still breaking it in , wearing some of the not quite smooth surfaces smoother .

Need to go search the store room & find Dad's old grease gun and give the grease zerts a shot .

The small ball fitting on the left side , motor oil ? I have been using a mix of motor oil and tranny fluid for gun oil . How would that work ?

I watched one video that used STP oil treatment , another motor oil , on the places that you smear on lube with your finger . Is that better than the grease I used ? Right now it gets HOT in the Man Cave , before I turn the A/C on .

The oil or STP might be better in the winter ? Gets COLD in here before I turn on the heat .

One video even said motorcycle chain lube ?

God bless
Wyr

Edited 06-28-2011
I went back and re-read the LM manual , Lee recommends motor oil to lube the ram .

Last edited by WyrTwister; June 28, 2011 at 08:09 AM.
Old August 6, 2011, 10:01 AM   #2
WyrTwister

.45 ACP

I am loading .45 ACP , at least 1,500 so far . Some challenges , most due to me not keeping a good eye on what is going on . Lots of things happening at the same time .

But lots of ammo gets loaded .

God bless
wyr
Old August 6, 2011, 01:28 PM   #3
GURU1911

PRESS LUBES

Engine assembly lube---amsoil / mobile 75w-90 gear oil----synthetic bearing grease. I have used these in the past many years on my 40 year old rcbs "rock-chucker" with much success.

A few drops of the above mentioned gear oil or the engine assembly lube rubbed into your case lube pad works really well !!!!

Guru1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"