The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Closed Thread

Old June 1, 2015, 10:13 PM   #1
Vet66

I'm finished with Ruger

I've had two defective and, poorly finished revolvers. Models are the recent SP101 4.2" .357 magnums, first had so much cylinder left to right slop at lockup
that the bullet shaved and would never hit target with any accuracy. Also the spit back from the cylinder gap was excessive to the point that my face would get peppered with powder and, whatever other fragments expelled. I had to send that back to Davidsons, second one arrived....geez...rear sight loose, out of elevation, can't keep POI , better groups with a shotgun. Sure Ruger says send it back, for what??? Get it back with new problems? I own five Ruger's but, no more. I'm done with them, quality is no longer there. Sad indeed.
Old June 1, 2015, 11:39 PM   #2
Model12Win

Ive bought two new GP100s in last few years and they have been stellar.

I dont know what your problem is with them, but Ruger makes some of the best revolvers in the world.
Old June 2, 2015, 02:16 AM   #3
Taco-XL

Go Smith and dont look back.
Old June 2, 2015, 02:27 AM   #4
UncleEd

I haven't seen lack of quality in either new Smiths or Rugers.

But I have seen bummer examples from both makers over the years.

Send the SP 101 back directly to Ruger and Ruger will "personally" make it right, I believe. Call them and get a free shipping label.
Old June 2, 2015, 05:29 AM   #5
Salmoneye

Quote:
Right...

Cuz S&W never have a lemon...

http://www.smithandwessonforums.com/...l-feature.html

Old June 2, 2015, 06:53 AM   #6
Wishoot

Quote:
Sure Ruger says send it back, for what??? Get it back with new problems? I own five Ruger's but, no more. I'm done with them, quality is no longer there. Sad indeed.
I understand your frustration. I would hate to get a brand new gun with issues right out of the box.

But why not give Ruger a chance to make it right? The one time I had to send a gun back to them (an LC9), the issue was quickly resolved and the gun performed the way it should.
Old June 2, 2015, 07:03 AM   #7
Real Gun

Quote:
See that's the thing...in terms of new production, going Smith doesn't work either. Guns these days are typically works in progress. I have had no issues with my Ubertis, but most of the Smiths, Rugers, and one Charter Arms had to have at least one trip back to the maker or the gunsmith. My Springfield 1911 went back. My Kimber went back. The Glock is no problem. It seems the mode these days is quality by rework.
Old June 2, 2015, 07:06 AM   #8
Real Gun

Quote:
I understand your frustration. I would hate to get a brand new gun with issues right out of the box.
It has gotten to where it seems being perfect from the box is the exception.

Quote:
But why not give Ruger a chance to make it right? The one time I had to send a gun back to them (an LC9), the issue was quickly resolved and the gun performed the way it should.
Yeah, but do that a few times, hoping for just one that is right, in the box, and it gets old.
Old June 2, 2015, 07:33 AM   #9
madmo44mag

I spend hours every day on forums like this I hear the same story on every gun manufactures out there. Even companies like H&K has issues.
For the past 7 + years gun manufactures have been running at peak production just like the ammo companies.
I have to give them credit; they do a good job considering the demand.
Ruger is a great company and will make it right.
Old June 2, 2015, 07:43 AM   #10
Hal

Quote:
I've had two defective and, poorly finished revolvers. Models are the recent SP101 4.2" .357 magnumsI've had two defective and, poorly finished revolvers. Models are the recent SP101 4.2" .357 magnums
I've noticed a decline in quality of just about all new guns over the last 15 years.
Spotty fit and finish, loose screws right out of the box, rough bores, horrible rough gritty triggers, multiple small pieces breaking prematurely, ....
I could go on and on.

It hasn't been limited to one maker either - - Browning, Ruger, S&W, Winchester, Marlin....
All of them in one way or another have been far less than acceptable.
Some I sent back, most I just lived with.
The Winchester Trapper with the loose screw that snapped off & is now pretty much a tomato stake....

Oh well...

FWIW - - I've noticed it's not been limited to firearms.
I owned a string of Hondas from 1994 through 2014.
Talk about a nose dive in quality.....
No more Honda for me!

I'm sorry - I got all caught up and forgot to mention what I wanted to suggest!
LOL! I guess I'm getting "defective" too!

I just stay away from the new stuff and buy the older & better made stuff.
Old June 2, 2015, 07:51 AM   #11
Skeets
Member in memoriam

I too understand your frustration.I try to buy only what I see and handle.A right of refusal is agreed upon,Before placing necessary orders.Works for me.
Old June 2, 2015, 08:57 AM   #12
Carmady

It isn't just Ruger, just guns, just hanguns, or just anything else.

We live in the times of "Do less, charge more."

That's just the way it is.

+1 to the deal directly with Ruger comments.
Old June 2, 2015, 09:08 AM   #13
jmr40

I've had to send more Rugers back than all others combined. But I've had a lot of Rugers and they have always made it right. I'm pretty impressed with the company as a whole. But the 10-22 is the only thing they sell that would be my 1st choice in any category of firearms. But one of their offerings would either be my 2nd choice, or at least near the top in any category. Well except shotguns, they can't seem to figure that out.
Old June 2, 2015, 09:30 AM   #14
ZEBRARANGER

Quote:
I'm done with them, quality is no longer there. Sad indeed.
I've heard the same thing about S&W, I have a few of both. Bottom line is that all manufacturers will produce a few lemons. Unfortunately, you drew two in a row.
Old June 2, 2015, 09:49 AM   #15
pete2

I've had quality issues with Ruger, S&W, Taurus, Browning, Kimber. The only one lately that was good was a Colt LW Commander. Not just one gun either, 3 S&W, 2 Rugers.
pay your money and take your chances.
Old June 2, 2015, 10:20 AM   #16
Taco-XL

Never said Smith never have problems, but ill take my chances with them over ruger. Two friends had issues with their rugers...wrong slide stop spring from the factory in an SR-9c and the worst was an AR that didnt even have blueing under a plastic packaging piece on the barrel. And giving them kudos for fixing it is like thanking them for screwing somthing up that should have been right to start with. Any respectable gun maker will fix the firearm if you send it back to them so i dont view that as something that separates them from any other company. You get lemons with every brand but 2 in a row? Sorry, you just lost my business
Old June 2, 2015, 10:21 AM   #17
2ndsojourn

I see quality issues with a lot of modern gun manufacturers, including S&W, Ruger, Sig....the list goes on. There really isn't anything modern made that I don't already have that interests me. So I just keep my eyes peeled for the out of production guns that I like, or older manufactured ones.
Old June 2, 2015, 10:28 AM   #18
hdbiker

Ruger

I have all three Ruger single actions,a SP101 .357,and a Mk1,plus a 77 in .308,every one is magic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hdbiker
Old June 2, 2015, 03:42 PM   #19
WVMountaineer

madmo said it right. Everybody wants to blame modern times and the lck of quality control.nobody stops to think about the numbers of guns these gun companies are producing. Remember the shortage of AR's. As many makers as we had, they were hard t find three days after Sandy Hook. Demand for any firearm that was on the chopping block still is high. It took the gun companies nearly two and a half years to meet and exceed demand in the AR field. They haven't met demand in the handgun category yet.

I understand your frustrations. SEND it BACK. RUGER will make it right.
Or sell it to me at a reduced price and I'll do it.
Old June 2, 2015, 05:01 PM   #20
abowlieb

Cutting off a company that stands behind there product 100% is kinda silly.

There are plenty of people that are more then pleased with the service Ruger has given.

I personally take what you are saying with a grain of salt because you didnt even allow Ruger to fix it for you, u just assumed it would come back with a problem again.

For every complaint they get, there are hundreds that praise Ruger for there customer service.

Shoot, not to long ago. I read a guy brought a used Security six that broke, sent it back to Ruger who then replaced it with a new sp101.

Imo that sounds like a darn good company to me. Think you are allowing your frustration to get the best of you.

Anyway, good lucky with S&W or whatever company you choose to deal with from here on.
Old June 2, 2015, 05:18 PM   #21
stagpanther

I've had issues with about half the firearms I've purchased in the past ten years--maybe something to the "people don't care" and I've had my share of problems with Rugers--but it's true they will do what it takes to make it right. If I had to guess your cylinder is off timing a bit--something that can happen fairly easily with a revolver but also fairly easy to fix if you can do a complete strip and reassemble that might be a good place to start--or just send it back to Ruger.

Gun reputations are funny things--I remember my first factory-built AR's were DPMS's and boy oh boy did I take a raft of manure for how badly made they are--don't shoot well or reliably etc. I've had several AR's since then and have built a couple as well--but those original DPMS's are still with me because they shoot so well and reliably--no matter how often I'm told they are junk.

BTW--just bought a new SBH hunter today. : )
Old June 2, 2015, 05:39 PM   #22
bedbugbilly

OP - I don't blame you! I'd give up shooting all together if I was you!

I recently bought a new car . . . got it home and had nothing but problems with it. It irritated me soooooo much that I am DONE with cars. I'm NEVER going to buy a car again! I'm going to go back to riding my horse . . . :roll eyes:

So . . . you had a problem with a Ruger? Every make of gun can sometimes "have a problem". Ruger is known for good service . . . they'll make it right. You say you already own other Rugers . . . just curious . . . are you going to "dump" those as well? After all . . . they "could" develop problems too.

ANY company can have a few "lemons" . . . yea . . . maybe they shouldn't have passed QC but it happens with every product made . . .

I own a half dozen Rugers . . . among many other brands . . . Sig Saur, Colt, Smith & Wesson, Uberti, etc. and, knock on wood, have never had a lick of problem with any of them. Maybe next time you purchase a handgun, you should buy it in person and look it over before you take delivery on it . . . that way you'll know that it meets your high standards?

Quite your bellyachin' . . . put your big boy pants on and give Ruger a call . . . they'll take care of it. If you're that "dissatisfied" . . . sell the rest of your Rugers that you have . . . go buy a Taurus . . . . I hear they have no problems at all. Must be true . . . . "I read it on the 'net".
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old June 2, 2015, 06:42 PM   #23
Homerboy

Friend of mine had a Six revolver in blue. He got it from his father. Gun was over 30 years old. I took my first shot of 357 out of that gun when I was about 15. Gun was shot thousands of times, mostly 357. My friends father reloaded and he believed in 357 ammo out of a 357 gun. No 38 specials for him.

When his dad died, my buddy took possession of it. It hadn't been shot in many years. It had also been stored in a leather holster in a basement. My friends dad had altzheimers and caring for his guns weren't on his radar anymore.

My friend calls Ruger. Says the gun is a mess. Hammer wouldn't come fully back and cylinder felt like it was in sludge. Sure, I could have detail stripped it and made it better, but he figured let Ruger look at it. They sent a pre-paid label and everything so why not?

Gun needed a complete tear down to the bones. Couple of small things they were able to fix (this was about 7 years ago). They asked my buddy if he would like the gun reblued. He asked how much. No charge, they said!

Gun came back in less than 3 weeks. Looking totally new. No charge for any of it.

Ruger has the best service in the business. I love my S&W revolvers, but if I was buying another wheel gun today, it would be a Ruger.
Old June 2, 2015, 06:45 PM   #24
Super Sneaky Steve

Last Bearcat I bought had timing so bad lead would splatter on the cone and lock it up tight.

I sent it in, came back with a new cylinder, same problem.

After that I had to take it to a gunsmith to fix it. Cost me big money to get a new revolver to work.

I've also had all my Ruger .45's come with undersized chambers, enough that it would strip the lube off my bullets and I'd have a blue wad of wax hit my target next the the bullet.

I sent it back, Ruger did nothing about it. So I bought a reamer and did the job myself.
Old June 2, 2015, 07:27 PM   #25
FITASC

Quote:
We live in the times of "Do less, charge more."

That's just the way it is.
No, what we live in are the times where everyone wants something for the same price from 30 years ago so makers cut corners to keep the price point that many folks come on here and whine about. Too many expect to get top quality for very low prices - just doesn't work that way........
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Closed Thread