The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 16, 2009, 12:08 AM   #26
jbrown

the barrel isnt normally removed.
Old February 14, 2010, 08:55 PM   #27
bmurr

BAR bolt removal

Mr. Brown,

I need some help on a BAR bolt removal. Do you still have the information available to remove them?
Thank you,
Old August 23, 2010, 09:28 AM   #28
ARDogman

Hey guys, sorry to re-ignite an old thread, but I didn't want to muddy the "search" waters for those who may search for this type of thing going forward. I figured one less thread to sift through would probably be helpful. I've taken these guns apart a few times and know how to do it. What led me to post here on an outdated thread was that I've had a small issue with my 1967 made Belgian BAR. I believe it to be a common occurance that the bolt doesn't want to return to battery (let me know if I'm using that terminology incorrectly.) It would load another shell, but the bolt handle would not return forward as far as it should have. After that, I'd try to fire again, and nothing but "click." My SOP led me to rack the bolt back (figuring on a faulty primer or whatever.) This would obviously lead to problems, because the extractor wasn't engaged on the rim to eject the chambered round...so I'd wind up with one in the chamber, and one floating around in front of the bolt, not being able to go into the already occupied chamber.

This rifle, one of the earliest made was new to me in probably 2001. At that time that I got it, it had never been fired. It had some cosmoline type greasy substance inside the receiver, which I cleaned out as best as I could at the time. I went on to shoot it, periodically having the issue I described above. I figure the bolt mechanism was probably gummed up with the same cosmoline or whatever it was, and that this was what was causing the failures. Anyway, Saturday I took the gun apart to remove the bolt for a thorough cleaning to see if that would do the trick. I reassembled on Sunday and proceeded to test it out at the range. Problem solved. I filmed the disassembly procedure so I could show it to you guys so as to help out anybody who's having problems. Today, I left the cord that connects the camera to my computer, so I'll have to upload it tomorrow. Once I get it uploaded, I'll post a link to this thread.

In the meantime, if anybody has issues with BAR disassembly, I may be of some help to you all.
Old September 4, 2010, 09:42 AM   #29
Seapg

BAR Disassembly Video?

Hey, ARDog.....any luck with that video? Please send to me if you can. [email protected]
thx so much
Old November 15, 2010, 06:20 PM   #30
jbrown

instuctions online

I have found the instructions online.
http://books.google.com/books?id=Wj4...page&q&f=false

Last edited by jbrown; November 15, 2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old November 15, 2010, 09:49 PM   #31
gyvel

GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ GUYS!!!!!!!!!

Hasn't anyone ever heard of the NRA Firearms Disassembly books???? Fully illustrated disassembly instructions in the long arms volume; In fact, my copy has the BAR on the cover partially disassembled.
Old November 19, 2010, 11:01 PM   #32
jbrown

thats the link I posted.
Old January 16, 2012, 12:18 PM   #33
wkerns

BAR instructions

hey Jbrown,id like to get a copy of the BAR disassemblly info,ive got a old 30-06 browning BAR,got her broke down yesterday,no big problem,remove the butt stock,screw the long butt plate bolt back in the plate,work lightly an turn the plate for removel,keep the receiver bolt forward and the trigger cocked with safty on,and that hole assy comes out slides out the rear,remove charging pin,and bolt falls out the bottom,but my problem is barrel removel for blueing the receiver,gunna get with midway or browning an figure it out,hope this info helps someone,as with patience any firearm can be worked

a MAN built it a MAN can fix it