The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 18, 2016, 10:35 PM   #1
ADIDAS69

220 grain Nosler partition

Has anyone loaded 300 Blackout with 220 grain Nosler partition?
Old October 19, 2016, 01:50 PM   #2
math teacher

What is the point of using a partition at Blackout velocity? Any good cup and core bullet would perform as well and cost a lot less.
Old October 19, 2016, 02:38 PM   #3
ADIDAS69

Tooling around on ye'ole YouTube I've seen some less than stellar subsonic heavy 300 blackout results but I shoot the Nosler in my other 30 cal stuff (super sonic) and so was debating between a 45 ACP or 300 black for a PDW. The whole point being to shoot subsonic suppressed.
Old October 19, 2016, 02:46 PM   #4
ADIDAS69

All the Hodgdon load data for 300 black is for the Sierra 220 HPBT which has a significantly different bearing surface than the partition so was mostly wondering about load data and expansion. Whilst the 75-100 velocity would be below the Nosler published preferred min. velocity to guarantee expansion that doesn't mean it won't so was curious if anyone had tried it.
Old October 21, 2016, 01:40 AM   #5
bacardisteve

Im sure it could be done but why? If you have em on tje shelf already i can understand that but you would be paying for a premium bullet designed to stay together at high velocity and in big game. At subsonic speed i doubt they would expand much if at all.
Old October 21, 2016, 07:21 AM   #6
Mobuck

I shoot Hornady 208 A-Max subsonic and my best guess is they destabilize/tumble immediately upon entering anything soft(at 100 yards anyway). I haven't been able to recover any since they don't track after this point-usually exiting side/top/bottom but leaving the little red tip in the first water jug.
The "expanding" subsonic bullets I've seen featured very soft jackets with blunt noses which may be detrimental to feeding.
I haven't test fired the suppressed 300 inside a closed space but I'm not really sure you'll notice much diff between sub and super in this scenario.
Old October 21, 2016, 10:57 AM   #7
ADIDAS69

Bacardisteve

So Noveske retails a 300 black cartridge that employs a Nosler 220 grain bullet albeit with a glow in the dark polymer tip. I have strong suspicions it's the same bullet I am using just with a polymer tip so maybe they've seen good expansion but maybe only because of the polymer tip though I think that's just a gimmic.

Last edited by ADIDAS69; October 21, 2016 at 11:04 AM.
Old October 21, 2016, 11:12 AM   #8
ADIDAS69

I've not purchased the upper yet and based on this discussion and the research I've done revolving around it I am leaning toward just buying more magazines for my FNX45 and then also training a fair bit more to get used to having the suppressor on it. I've long wondered why anyone likes the 300 blackout and had personally categorized it as a niche cartridge for hog hunters, i spose if I go super sonic it will serve a purpose.
Old October 21, 2016, 01:01 PM   #9
T. O'Heir

"...is for the Sierra 220 HPBT..." Doesn't matter who made the thing. You load for the weight. Can't say I'd pay the No$ler premium price though.
Hodgdon's site also says you need a magnum primer for the BO using powders like H110, but not for a .30 Carbine. Magnum primers are about the powder used, not the cartridge.
Old October 21, 2016, 03:14 PM   #10
ADIDAS69

The actual bearing surface (barrel to bullet contact) doesn't change resistance enough to affect powder charge? Note that I was reporting from info from Hodgdon whose site specifies the Sierra brand and whilst i'd concede that any 220 grain HPBT from any brand would have to be nearly identical the Nosler as I have mentioned dose have a much larger length of full size shaft. I also assume Hodgdon is either promoting the Sierra brand or are simply reporting exactly the bullet they tested. Also note i'm not wedded to any brand of anything, whomever makes the best of what I can afford is what I purchase. For example melee mods www.meleemods.com makes the best available and affordable firearm mounted non bayonet blades so those are the ones I buy.