The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 28, 2004, 11:41 AM   #1
phungus

Things to do to my Super RedHawk.

I've had my SRH .44 for a couple of weeks now, and I'd like to know what kind of modifications people do to these. The trigger is okay on mine, but since it's not a defense gun for me (scoped and waaay too big), I think a light trigger pull in SA mode would be great. I don't shoot DA really, so that's not a huge deal.

The cylinder, bottom of the trigger guard, and a few other places are showing some wear on my gun (it's used). I'm guessing this is holster wear but I'm not sure. Also, the front of the cylinder and around the barrell is black with powder from not cleaning (not me, I clean after everytime I shoot it).

Are these things easy for a gunsmith to fix up? I've never used one before so I don't know. Also, what else can be modified on this particular model?

Oh, and one last thing. Anyone have a recommendation for a smith in Austin, TX?
Lots of Ammunition!
Old December 28, 2004, 11:52 AM   #2
Edward429451

Is this going to be a shooter or a display piece? Shooter?, don't worry about the wear. The only thing I've ever done to my RH is nite sites and rubber grips. Ammo & more ammo. Get good with it.

A guy with a beat up 44 that can shoot it well is more impressive than a guy with a display piece that's mint but he can't shoot it. JMO.

(Just keep cleaning it, that crud'll come off eventually.)
Old February 19, 2005, 07:59 PM   #3
Harry Bonar

re-super redhawk

Dear Shooter:
If you really want a good fine finish on that super, find a smith with a bead-blaster (very fine beads) and have it disassembled and the appropriate parts beaded - looks great on a stainless 1858 cap & ball I did! Boy! Be sure to clean it off good before reassemble!