The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 30, 2011, 12:47 AM   #1
BoyScoutForLife

Scope advice needed

I recently inherited my first rifle, a Remington 760 pump action. The only thing standing between me and my first hunting trip is my unmounted scope. I also inherited a vintage Tasco ranger scope along with the rifle and am eager to get the sucker mounted and sighted in. My rifle is tapped but I have several questions about rings and or base plates. My questions are,

1. Do you have to get certain ring sizes for different diameter scopes?

2. Is it better to get a base plate mounted set or individual standing rings?

3. Pros and Cons of high vs low mounted scopes.

Any advice would be appreciated greatly

God Bless America, Texas, and the 2nd Amendment.
Old July 30, 2011, 03:52 AM   #2
M.O.A.

go with the lowest rings you can with the scope not touching the barrel

as for rings and bases i like one piece mounts but i dont know if you can get them for ur gun

so try to find steel bases and a good set of rings to match
Old July 30, 2011, 08:26 AM   #3
PawPaw

Congratulations on your rifle. The Remington 760 is a fine hunting rifle, capable of nearly any hunting situation.

Bases and rings abound. The Weaver #62 will fit it, and Leupold, Redfield, Millet and EGW all make bases for the rifle as well. I'd suspect that the old Tasco scope you have uses 1" rings. I'd also suspect that low or medium rings would put the scope close enough to the barrel for a good cheek weld. My 760 has a monte-carlo stock and a cheek weld is easy to maintain. Yours might be different.

There are some newer base/ring sets being made these days in which the rings and bases are one-piece. One example is the DNZ line of one-piece scope mounts. I haven't tried them yet, but they look plenty strong.

Again, congratulations on your rifle.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old July 30, 2011, 08:52 AM   #4
BoyScoutForLife

Thanks a whole lot for the advice yall. Ill soon be on my path to buckskin moccasins.
Old July 30, 2011, 09:45 AM   #5
Zmax

Dnz Game reaper

I use the dnz game reaper mounts in low on my 7600 (newer model 760) and it works great. the way the gun is set up lets you mount a scope lower than on a bolt. Good luck.
Old July 30, 2011, 07:38 PM   #6
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Talleys are perfect , don't weigh a thing compared to most other systems !
Old July 31, 2011, 05:52 PM   #7
Doyle

The 760 is a great rifle (I have a BDL in 30-06). The advise you have been given so far is good, but misses one thing that is important in my book. Since the 760 has iron sights, take advantage of them. Get a quick release mounting system and you'll be able to pop the scope off if it is damaged so that you can continue to hunt. I'm partial to the Leupold QR system but there are others that are just as good.
Old July 31, 2011, 08:17 PM   #8
tahunua001

you need to find scope rings that leave the scope sitting in front of your eye rather than forcing your eye to line up with the scope. you want to rest your face on the buttstock like you would while shooting and then site down the scope, if you have to raise your cheek off the buttstock you need lower rings, if you have to mash your face into the buttstock you need higher rings. then you rest the scope in the rings and move it back/forward till you can sight through it in your natural firing position. that way you have minimal adjustment to work out once you bring your gun up to your shoulder to fire. its a long and difficult process but it's well worth the effort in the long run.

also tasco has a really bad reputation for being cheaply made. you may want to eventully move up to a good nikon or leupold scope. nikon prosaffs are about $120 but very reliable scopes for hunting, I have one on every hunting rifle I own. you say yours is vintage so I dont know if they've always been cheap but you may want to read up on them.
Old July 31, 2011, 09:44 PM   #9
BoyScoutForLife

Cant find anything about it online, guess I'll find out when I sight it in. It'll probably be fine though cause the main thing I''ll be going after is probably hogs. The nonexistent limit and unending season is pretty attractive.

Tags
advice , rifle , rings , scope mounting