The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 29, 2013, 07:34 PM   #1
Caliber

P22 Problem

I've had my walther p22 for years now and today after shooting it "haven't shot it in 4 months" the double action is not working... if you de-cock manually by holding the hammer and depressing the trigger etc.etc. when you pull the trigger you get a click "the hammer cycles" but fails to strike to cartridge.... the problem is also happening if you decock by pulling the trigger and letting the hammer fall while the gun is on safe. I stripped it down checked for worn springs, bent pins etc. can't seem to find anything this is hacking me off because It's been working fine for years, sat a few months due to the ammo shortage now it's not working. in single action or when it's cocked by the slide after firing a round it works fine. full and deep firing pin marks on the rounds after firing but if you de-cock the pistol it fails to fire until you manually cock the hammer. Seems as if it's hitting something in double action mode rather than striking the primer. Use to allways just have it in fire, pull the rigger in on first round in DA and bang it goes off now If the pistols is decocked it needs the hammer manually pulled back before it'll fire so I'm pretty much stuck in 1911 mode.
Old May 1, 2013, 07:33 AM   #2
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

You say that the firing pin is hitting the rim both ways (DA and SA)? If so, it almost sounds like a weak hammer spring.

Did you try any other brand ammo?
Old May 1, 2013, 02:51 PM   #3
Caliber

the firing pin is NOT hitting the primer in DA only in SA. and in SA whichever brand ammo I use i get deep primer hits "almost enough to deform rear of cartridge" I even get deep strikes using nickel cased CCI stinger ammo
Old May 1, 2013, 02:54 PM   #4
Caliber

I just used stingers to see if the firing pin would make a mark I don't recommend using them in this gun they are pretty harsh on it.
Old May 1, 2013, 04:35 PM   #5
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Where it worked beforehand, I'm thinking that it could be something either fouling up the firing pin, or the firing pin safety. Each have their own springs, and are contained in the breech block.

Get you some really thin gun cleaner, and soak the end of the breech block from each end of the firing pin, let is sit for a bit, and then watch the firing pin as you manually work the hammer against it. See if the hammer will go all the forward under both DA and SA. Under SA, with the trigger pulled back, and the hammer down, see if the hammer is going forward enough to push the firing pin in.

Last, if it has been dry fired any, there is the possibility of a broken firing pin. It is the flat type, and if it was broken, it would not work correctly unless enough force was applied to it.
Old May 1, 2013, 11:46 PM   #6
Caliber

I tried your suggestions, broke it all down soaked everything put it all back together and still doing it. nothing about the problem makes sense. it's like in DA mode the hammer is hitting something rather than the firing pin. I measured with a dial caliper how far back the hammer goes before releasing and it's fully cocking and releasing but still no firing pin strike. guess I'll have to take the expensive route and order all new springs, firing pin etc. could the magazine safety be causing the problem ? doesn't it block the hammer from moving if the magazine isn't in the gun ? it might be broke/malfunctioning and causing some weird problem honestly don't know what else would block the hammer from hitting the firing pin other than the safety but it can't find anything wrong with that.
Old May 2, 2013, 08:11 AM   #7
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

It could be. I was hoping that the firing pin safety might only be fouled with dirt.

There is a little hand that comes off the sear that should allow the firing pin safety to drop down from the firing pin, if I recall, with the sear in the fire position. However, since it's cocking, and working in DA mode, that means the sear is moved out of the way too, as in SA, along with using the cocking lever hooked to the hammer. Both instances should allow the firing pin safety to move down under its own spring pressure.

You might check the magazine safety too, it could be it. I was hoping you might not have to tear it down to find the problem.