The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 24, 2013, 09:57 AM   #1
adamc

Connecticut Gov. Malloy raises the bar.. makes Coumo look like a whimp

The CT Gov could not wait for his panel to make recomenations.. so
double barreled Joe must have whispered in his ear...
He came up with his own 2A stomping proposals..

Meanwhile the rest of the Hartford Gang is going full bore to stomp out
the costitution & 2A, and squish legal, law abiding owners.
They forget that CRIMINALS don't care about laws

If you want to churn your stomach and boil your blood pressure
just read some of these Connecticut lawmakers proposals that are on the table..

get ready for dry heaves..

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/rpt/2013-R-0118.htm

I cannot believe that this is the Connecticut that I was born & raised

Malox all around

Connecticut was the Cradle of the Gun Industry, NOW it is just a Pine Box,
Courtesy of our Governor "Chairman MAO Malloy"

Last edited by adamc; February 24, 2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old February 24, 2013, 10:00 AM   #2
Conn. Trooper

I just got a response from Rep. Miner, who is my rep. He seems pretty pro RKBA. Fingers crossed.
Old February 24, 2013, 10:15 AM   #3
1stmar

This state gets worse every election...a state so rich in gun history. Maybe if they embraced it they could bring back manufacturing jobs instead of high unemployment. I don't see any bills addressing jobs..
Old February 24, 2013, 10:22 AM   #4
adamc

Miner seems to be on the level, but
Still a politian............
it is the rest of the crowd (did you read it all?)
it sure looks they have it out for "US".

I can't wait for next election season

Funny as NOT ONE of them has publicly supported 2A, in other states
some politicos have announced and stood their stance..not to mention their political actions...

My guess is that anyone who "Played Ball" with the O'man , Biden and DF team
will get a big Washinton job, appointment, etc..
Next year in 2014... I am posting my prediction NOW..

The Connecticut crowd, Coumo, Bloomberg, Christie, etc..
just wait..

Old February 24, 2013, 10:26 AM   #5
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill 5935 (Rep. Fleischmann)
● Requires mental health screening of individuals seeking to purchase firearms and their immediate family members sharing a residence . . . .

● Establishes a task force of legal scholars and jurists to examine the meaning of a “well-regulated militia” and report to the General Assembly on a proposed definition

On the first: So now, if I live with my brother and he wants to buy a gun, I have to undergo mental health screening before he can do so?!?

On the second, SCOTUS has already told us what that means.

No slight intended to the fine citizens of CT, but stuff like this makes me proud of my state's General Assembly.
Old February 24, 2013, 10:30 AM   #6
KMAX

Truly revolting! I see a number of civil rights violations. #1 being the proposed prohibitively high sales tax and fees. Build a huge pen and put those politicians inside "for their own good", of course. More realistically, remember these proposed bills and point them out to all the voters who could make a difference the next time these senators,etc. come up for election. Get 'em outta here! I am glad I do not live in CT, NY,MA, NJ, etc if this is the way things are going there. No offense to any good freedom loving folks there, just sounds like the laws are quite oppressive to the law-abiding. The thing that scares me is if those draconian, oppressive laws can be passed there how long will it take for that disease to spread to more free states like in the West?

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old February 24, 2013, 10:49 AM   #7
HarrySchell

It would appear CT and OR are going exactly where the anti's reassured "the paranoids" they weren't...
Old February 24, 2013, 11:43 AM   #8
Yankee Traveler

Quote:
Establishes a class C felony, except for certain military and law enforcement personnel and certain gun clubs, for (1) purchasing, transferring, transporting, possessing, or using a gun except one made to fire a single round; (2) firing a gun containing more than a single round; (3) receiving from another jurisdiction a gun made to fire multiple rounds; or (4) purchasing, transferring, transporting, or possessing a magazine or clip capable of holding more than one round
Wow, just wow.

Quote:
Prohibits civilian possession of body armor
What's next, prohibit locks on doors and windows?
Old February 24, 2013, 12:33 PM   #9
ScottRiqui

Interesting. What this (and similar proposals) tells me is that in a political climate where the politicians realize that they're not going to get any sweeping gun reform, they still feel like they'll get more future votes by pandering to the antis with an "a least I tried" shot at the moon than they would by publicly coming out in favor of gun rights, or by doing nothing at all.
Old February 24, 2013, 12:37 PM   #10
adamc

'Bad Thoughts' are next to becone a class C felony

I sure the criminals will read and obey these new proposals...

Group hug everyone

Old February 24, 2013, 02:41 PM   #11
1stmar

I read it all, it's disgraceful. These guys are even more out of touch then the Feds and there is no one to balance it out. CT State legislaturors fear no republicans. Too many party line voters.
Old February 24, 2013, 03:44 PM   #12
Aguila Blanca
Staff

CT Governor Malloy was a gun grabber when he was mayor of Stamford, and he is a gun grabber today. It appears that the blue ribbon task force he empaneled isn't moving fast enough for him (and the feedback he's getting from his staffer assigned to the committee probably indicates they probably aren't going far enough for him), and the bi-partisan legislative committee working on finding an acceptable bi-partisan approach isn't pushing anything as draconian as what he wants -- so he is co-opting his own task force and proposing what he wants most likely in the hope of shaming/coercing them to propose what he wants.

Sadly, he has a heavily anti-gun, Democratic legislature, so it's going to be difficult for the forces of reason to put this genie back in the bottle. I suspect there will be a number of lawsuits filed in Connecticut, and the issue will ultimately be thrashed out in court. Which is unfortunate, because CT is functionally bankrupt and the taxpayers of the state really don't need to be wasting their tax money defending indefensible laws.

That said -- what does the link have to do with Gov. Malloy? HE didn't write those 90 proposed bills. The names of the legislators proposing them are listed next to each bill in the summary table.

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; February 24, 2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old February 24, 2013, 07:37 PM   #13
hermannr

Do you really think that these legislators actually write these bills??? Supposedly Senator Kline in WA wrote and was prime sponser of the equivalent here in WA and when some of the provisions were pointed out to be contrary to our state constitution..Kline said..."well, you know, I haven't read it"

These bills are not written by their prime sponsers, probably not even written by their staff....they are given these bills to sponser, along with a nice campaign contrabution. Look no farther than the Joyce Foundation and their lackies.

The Joyce foundation should be found a subversive organization and loose their tax exempt status.
Old February 24, 2013, 08:33 PM   #14
JWT

CT legislators have certainly outdone themselves, talk about creative writing.

Lived there for 22 years and left 13 years ago. Never looked back and am now even happier that I moved. I feel sorry for the gun owners I know that still reside there.
Old February 25, 2013, 12:47 AM   #15
LogicMan

Are these from the governor? From what I can see, these are just various legislative proposals put forward by a variety of legislators in the state.
Old February 25, 2013, 02:24 AM   #16
Dr Big Bird PhD

That was the most dystopian thing ive ever read
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old February 25, 2013, 04:01 AM   #17
Doc Intrepid

Some of the proposals are so bizarre that you indeed get the sense that the various authors were collectively throwing stuff against the wall to see what might stick.

Not even all of the Newton parents were seeking draconian gun bans by the State. I've a hard time thinking many of these proposals will actually become law.
Old February 25, 2013, 06:17 AM   #18
Aguila Blanca
Staff

The problem is that with one guy asking for single-shot firearms only, those seeking 10- or even 5-round round limits can position themselves as the voice of reason.
Old February 25, 2013, 06:51 AM   #19
rc

In the california law that was struck down requiring face to face ammo sales, limits on purchases and all sorts of horrendous stuff, the were things included as ammunition such as speed loaders, clips, magazines, etc. Basically anything that can be fired from a gun...... So these people are headed to try tou outlaw rocks, glass, nails... even air if it can be fired from a..... (gasp)... gun....
Old February 25, 2013, 08:24 AM   #20
adamc

I realize I forgot
to include a link.. sorry..

http://www.boston.com/news/education...YrJ/story.html

Old February 25, 2013, 10:10 AM   #21
Baba Louie

Yet not a word on mental health issues and/or "registering" those who need help and should have some control in this regard.

I know, they can vote too and we would not want to deprive only a select few of their rights. Better to deprive the entire population I suppose.

How about an excise tax of 11% on magazines with monies to go solely towards mental health support? Nah. Never pass muster by the firearms community.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old February 25, 2013, 10:12 AM   #22
adamc

In the works is a 50% tax on ammo here in CT

Old February 25, 2013, 11:43 AM   #23
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
How about an excise tax of 11% on magazines with monies to go solely towards mental health support? Nah. Never pass muster by the firearms community.
Nor should it. Why should we pay an excise tax for something we didn't do? That would be like adding an 11% tax on gasoline to cover medical costs from drunk driving accidents.
Old February 25, 2013, 09:03 PM   #24
Jayster

I wonder if someone has ever pointed out to them just how much the criminal will love laws like this? Maybe. Because those criminals, if they can vote, will definitely vote for these guys.

I mean as far gun control laws the criminals must be ecstatic these days.

If I was proposing something I KNEW a criminal would be in love with I like to think I might see the error of my thinking..........
Old February 25, 2013, 09:32 PM   #25
Daugherty16

Recently relocated from CT, and not looking back...

The one-bullet gun proposal is from a guy i know, Ed Meyer. I rode the Metronorth train into NYC with him every day for years before he retired from the legal profession and ran for office. I actually voted for the guy once. He used to work on the train, both coming and going, and seemed to have a work ethic and was reasonably intelligent. He said he understood the miserable condition of those broken down trains and would fight for money to revamp and modernize. Not that i like big gov't expenditure, but the trains were literally falling apart. Duct tape holding seats and flooring together, i kid you not.

He lied. His first term, he didn't lift a finger for commuters. it didn't take him long to forget his constituents. I have emailed him many times on prior gun and hunting issues in CT and got back some stupid canned response from a staffer.

Yeah, he was a disappointment. Still, even i never thought he was so off-the-chart liberal he could pull this one-bullet thing. the collective wisdom says Joyce dropped it in his lap. They must have some new plays in their playbook then because this is the first of its kind i've ever seen. Its true, a 7-round magazine limit looks reasonable next to this.

Come to New Hampshire, CT folks. I can shoot right in my backyard, i see moose from time to time when i hike on the back 40, and i can buy any damn assault rifle i want with the dangerous bayonet lug and the sinister threaded muzzle...
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness... How pathetic." - - Ted Nugent

"Cogito, Ergo Armitum Sum" - (I Think, Therefore I Am Armed)- - anon.