The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old July 10, 2015, 10:59 PM   #1
Beagle333

The Turtle Buster is going to be used in a Group Buy!

You might have seen this one before, because this is my favorite bullet and I post more pictures of it than others. It is the 358432 wadcutter with a HP pin in it and I call it the Turtle Buster. The HP version was designed and the first two molds made by Rangefinder. I do love this one and use it quite often to help cull some of the turtles in my catfish pond. (My neighbors love to eat the turtles too.)
And now, I'm casting some examples this weekend to send to NOE for a Group Buy. I'm excited because soon I can buy a 4 cavity NOE mold and don't have to piddle around with the single cav one-pin molds anymore. NOE will include the HP, FP and cup point pins with the RG models. (RG stands for "retractable guide" and simple indicates a multi-cavity hollow point mold.)
The FP will make the flat point original wadcutter as Lyman/Ideal made it, at 160 grains. The HP pin should make a hollow point that is close to 148 grains. That is the hope, since there is a LOT of load data out there for those two weights. The cup point will of course be somewhere between those two, but not sure what it will weigh, at this time. The HP cavity on these is 0.172" in diameter and I'm not sure if NOE will duplicate that exactly or not. I'm just supplying examples of mine.

(This is just the model for their bullet. I don't get any royalties or any more discount than anybody else in the Group Buy.) But it will be nice to have a mold that will really crank them out fast.

Have a Colt and a smile.
Old July 10, 2015, 11:18 PM   #2
skizzums

very cool. will they call it the 358-160-TB? i really liked those bullets too, i may even have a few left. i will personally have to pass, only because i really enjoy shooting the 92 and need my molds to be ompatible for both the wheel and the lever. they do feed better than i wadcutter though, just gotta tip the barrel down when feeding.

congrats on your dream mold......you should really get a discount though
Old July 11, 2015, 05:18 AM   #3
FrankenMauser

I do love that bullet design, but I can't really justify it for .38 Special. ....But I am wondering about a single-load proposition for .35 Whelen.

I guess I should slug that throat (brand new barrel - only 20 rounds through it) and see where I'm at...
Old July 11, 2015, 06:34 AM   #4
Beagle333

I'm sure I'll try that in the Whelens. I'm hoping that he makes it a 360-432 and it will size nicely for anything. Everybody that gets in on any NOE Group Buy gets a 15% discount, and if you are a new member to the $1000 Club you get a one-time additional 10% off. I mentioned that I didn't get any more discount than anybody else so the mods would know this isn't spam and isn't my product. This benefits anybody who would like another option for a HP wadcutter besides turning a hollow-base wadcutter around backward.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old July 11, 2015, 04:57 PM   #5
Beagle333

Got the samples cast and ready to mail.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old July 12, 2015, 08:02 AM   #6
FrankenMauser

You don't have to worry about us, Beagle. I think the mods understand, as well. It would probably just be lurkers or unregistered visitors that might think you're trying to advertise a product.

--

Man... long day yesterday. Maybe I'll get to slugging that throat today.
I'll have to really think about it, though.

As much as I REALLY want a turtle buster mold, the Whelen barrel has one of the roughest bores I've ever seen. It fouls like mad with copper. Even with only 20 rounds through it, thus far, I can tell it's going to be a temperamental beast.
So, I'd probably have to lap it, a lot, before I tried lead (a big disappointment, but at least the rifle is finally done! ).

Now... If we could talk Al into a .32 caliber version, I'd be ALL OVER that thing! My .327s would get a lot of use with that. ...And probably the 7.62x54R, and maybe the .30-06, as well. (The .30-30s are gone, otherwise they'd be major contenders, too.)
Old July 12, 2015, 08:08 AM   #7
A pause for the COZ

Quote:
Now... If we could talk Al into a .32 caliber version, I'd be ALL OVER that thing! My .327s would get a lot of use with that. ...And probably the 7.62x54R, and maybe the .30-06, as well. (The .30-30s are gone, otherwise they'd be major contenders, too.)
ohhhhh man me too!!!
Old July 12, 2015, 09:34 AM   #8
Beagle333

It's still in the discussion phase until Al gets the samples and makes the final design. You could always add your requests and suggestions until it goes "live." Maybe it could be like that GB that Miha did with the 38/44/45 HBWC GB last year. I know I'd like a turtle buster in .44 and .45 as well!!!
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old July 12, 2015, 03:55 PM   #9
FrankenMauser

I'll head on over to the NOE forum, and see if I can remember my username....

Here's the link for the .32 caliber version discussion.
If we need to discuss it further, here, I'd say we should start another thread.

Last edited by FrankenMauser; July 12, 2015 at 05:35 PM.
Old July 31, 2015, 10:41 AM   #10
Beagle333

Progess!

We have a prototype:

And we liked it, but we wanted a crimp groove like the original, instead of 3 lube grooves, so this was posted today, and he's going to try to get the Group Buy started over the weekend.
It's going to happen!
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old August 2, 2015, 01:03 PM   #11
Beagle333

And it has happened. The Turtle Buster is now an actual Group Buy. Sign up now if you want the 15% discount.

http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index....g8876.html#new
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old August 2, 2015, 07:52 PM   #12
straight-shooter

I'll be keeping a eye on this one but I just picked up a blue S&W 19-3 with the box, manual and tools. I'll hopefully get to jump in before the buy ends as it looks like a very nice projectile to own. RG4 in aluminum please

Revolveritis is a tough thing to live with but I'll survive.
Old August 2, 2015, 10:29 PM   #13
Vance

How about a no lube groove with crimp groove version for the powder coaters?
Old August 3, 2015, 04:57 AM   #14
Beagle333

I guess you'd have to ask Al. It is beyond the discussion phase now and into the buy, but I don't know if he can just simply tell the machine to leave off the grooves when milling the blocks, or if it's a mass run type of thing. Since he makes various cavity blocks and various cavity HP's.... it might be possible to cut blocks differently, but I could not tell you that.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old August 3, 2015, 07:04 AM   #15
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I guess you'd have to ask Al. It is beyond the discussion phase now and into the buy, but I don't know if he can just simply tell the machine to leave off the grooves when milling the blocks, or if it's a mass run type of thing. Since he makes various cavity blocks and various cavity HP's.... it might be possible to cut blocks differently, but I could not tell you that.
I believe Al is still cutting cherries (reamers) for each variation of a bullet.
As such, he'd probably need at least 5 people to show interest in a powder coat version, in order to justify it.

--

At this point, it would probably be pretty easy to tack on the straight-sided version in the discussion thread, to see how many other people might want one.
If you wait, interest may wane and the chance of getting it cut will be diminished.
Old September 6, 2015, 11:05 PM   #16
Beagle333

Well here it is!!! Finally! The NOE production model of the Turtle Buster!

Have a Colt and a smile.
Old September 7, 2015, 12:22 AM   #17
FrankenMauser

Very nice.
Old September 7, 2015, 04:00 AM   #18
skizzums

Congrats buddy. I'm sire your proud of that one.