The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 23, 2010, 01:15 PM   #26
robhof

robhof

A very good friend of mine, when he was active duty was driving on a range road at Eglin AFB in a canvas top issue jeep. He and his crew, a total of 3 were driving along when they were joined by a doe that entered the drivers side and into the back seat. My friend quickly braked, causing the deer to tumble and start flailing, everybody got out with only minor injuries, but the deer didn't leave til the seats and canvas were destroyed. He filed a report and they had to pay for damages, as the board found that had they had the doors on; the deer wouldn't have entered the moving vehicle.
Old January 24, 2010, 09:43 AM   #27
Hunter Customs

I've never roped a deer, however my mare will go after a deer just like she does a cow.
Once the deer hit's the timber I have to pull the mare off, because I don't want to try and dodge all the tree limbs while going full tilt boogie.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old January 24, 2010, 05:04 PM   #28
PH/CIB

Google up on the internet, Buffalo Jones. This guy roped practically everything out West and then went to Africa and roped Lion, Giraffe, Hyena, Leopard, Zebra and Warthog.

He must have roped the Leopard over bait, I was in Africa, Kenya and Tanzania, and all the others are fairly easy to get close to in the game parks where they are not hunted.

Not something I would want to try, as said before deer and any wild animal on the end of a rope can turn on you and hurt you or kill you.
Life Member,,,Military Order of the Purple Heart, Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, Amvets, Disabled American Veterans, 173rd Airborne Skysoldier Association, National Rifle Association, Member,,,IDPA, USPSA, Iowa Sheriffs and Deputies Association,,Website http://www.handgunholsters.net
Old January 29, 2010, 02:50 PM   #29
Bwana4

roping

About 10 years ago we roped a 10 pointer-----1/4 mile off the Jersey Shore while striper fishing. It jumped in the river, got caught in the outgoing current and ended up offshore. We towed/helped it towards shore, got it pointed in the right direction and it swam to the beach...only to be shot by the local cops. had we known that would be the case, I would have gaffed it instead.
Old January 29, 2010, 03:20 PM   #30
nitetrane98

Quote:
I have roped cattle, dogs, goats and even a goose once (It was not flying). The roping part is not hard to do, figuring out how to stop the critter once you have the rope on them is the problem, as well as retrieving your rope.
Yeah, that kinda brings to mind the time I was bass fishing and thought what a neat idea it would be cast at a big old cotton mouth swimming near by with a Little George crank bait. About the time I got him to the side of the boat I began to realize that I really didn't want that SOB in the boat with me after all. Little Georges' were about .79 cents a piece in those days and he was welcome to it.

They do put up a nice fight when they're snagged near the tail, however!
Old January 29, 2010, 05:41 PM   #31
mr-geep

Not quit roping, but when I was a kid, my "crazy uncle Dick" took me out deer hunting. After walking for several hours, we spotted a little 4 point whitetail buck. Uncle Dick shot it and it went down like a sack of bricks.
We took off our packs, leaned the rifles against a tree, Uncle Dick took out his knife and we walked over to it. Just as my uncle bent down to grab the deer, it jumped up to all fours, Uncle Dick laying across its back holding onto an antler with one hand and stabbing wildly at its neck with the knife with the other hand. That deer shook him off but he wouldn't let go of its antler and kept stabbing it in the neck with a 3 1/2 buck knife. That deer was shaking its head so violently, his whole body was jerking around like a rag doll.
The deer finally dropped on its front legs and Dick kept stabbing like a wild man. Me, being about 12 or 13 at the time just stood there in amazement that the deer had gotten back up.
When the deer finally fell over, I can still picture him sitting on his knees, stabbing it 4 or 5 times on the ground, then sat there looking at me panting with blood all over his face and chest. I think about half of it was his own.
After we gutted it and took it home, the first thing my Aunt said to him when he walked in the door was "You got into another fight at the bar again, didn't you!?!"
Old February 14, 2010, 09:56 PM   #32
ky hunter

fun day of sorta fishing.

Some friends of mine once roped a big buck that was swiming the river while they were fishing.It was just for fun two men in a 12' john boat, they tied him to the front handel. They thought they had him till he hit the bank . IT was the fastest that boat ever went . Bouncing off trees till it got stuck long enogh for them to untie the rope. Both of the men survived but sadly the boat did not. It was an extremely long walk back to the truck. But boy did they have a lot to talk about.
Old February 16, 2010, 11:14 PM   #33
Big Bill

When I was a young guy, I was driving my pickup on the road between McCall Idaho and Yellow Pine, Idaho elk hunting with two friend. Just after we left the main road out of McCall, all of a sudden, a cow elk jumped in front of us and started running straight ahead of us on the road. I was already going quite slowly and since there was thick brush and trees on either side of the road, that cow just kept running in front of us.

Then, my friend that was sitting by the passenger door got the idea to get out, crawl on the hood of the truck, and bulldog that elk. So, he proceeded to do just that and got out the door and onto the running board. Then he slung himself onto the hood and about that time the cow sprinted off on the right side of the road and into the brush. I slowed down and stopped and let him back into the truck. Then we all had a good laugh and continued our hunt.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old February 17, 2010, 12:46 PM   #34
Bolosniper

I have never roped anything but cows and horses, but one of my friends Ty Rose did rope a coyote last winter while we were checking cattle at the Rocking H ranch in the Big Hole. Ty ain't too tightly wrapped anyway and he wouldn't have been able to pull it off if the snow hadn't been deep enough to slow the yote down so that he could ride him down before he made the tree line. When he took off at a dead run I didn't know what he was doing as I was still on the ground closing the gate and he had apparently seen the yote running along the fence line making for the timber.
[URL=http://www.mpirifles.com]
Old February 17, 2010, 03:07 PM   #35
publius

I've seen that story and it's funny as hell. I can tell you that there's no way that i would rope one. we accidentally caught a small 8pt. in a hog cage trap once. when we approached the trap that thing went crazy (much more violent than any pig I've ever seen. You WOULD have died if you had been in that trap. With a pig you would have a good chance of jumping up on the side of the fence and getting out. No way w/this thing, he was attacking every square inch of the cage, very rapidly. Scared the hell out of me. I cut the entire top off the cage that day, it had half a top before.
Old February 21, 2010, 06:55 PM   #36
waterfowler

Anything is possible
Old February 21, 2010, 07:40 PM   #37
hollowpoint2010

hogdogs that ROCKS!!!

I haven't laughed so hard in months! Sorry to laugh at your pain but its always funnier if its someone elses.
Old February 22, 2010, 11:31 PM   #38
slab11

I had similar imaginations of what might happen even before i read the story. That is hilarious. it's a shame he didn't keep it after all that work.

However, if a deer can take a 300win mag straight through the vitals and run 100+ yards, i would never, ever want to try to rope that animal.
Old February 23, 2010, 12:02 AM   #39
Chaz88

I once new a bulldoger that was ranked among the top in the world. He was not necessarily all that bright though. One day he decided to bulldog an antelope from the back of a P/U. The short story is he bailed off and got a good hold on the antelope. When the antelope finally let go of him he looked about half dead but a trip to the ER and a couple of days in the hospital took care of most of the damage and I think he might even be a bit brighter than before.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old February 23, 2010, 02:46 AM   #40
wyobohunter

"Did you know that Deer bite?"

That's the best part.

I tried to tackle a Muley a few times. It was sorta a right of passage thing. The Muleys always ate the grass at the neighborhood school so we'd try our best to put the sneek on em' and tackle em'. Lucky for me the cover was sparse and I never became a man Although I was able to slap one on the hind quarter once.

I had a buddy (ranch hand/trapper/Elk guide) who, along with his ranch hand peers managed to rope a Wyoming river bottom Whitetail around Christmas time. They only helm him down long enough to tie a bow and bell around his neck. Legend has it that you could hear a very special sorta jingle jingle every fall (right around the rut... go figure). Somebody ended up shooting the poor Ol' festive bugger.