The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 9, 2009, 07:43 PM   #1
vwjoe84

Uberti Walker assembly

Took the New Uberti Walker for it's first firing the other day along with my other black powder revolver, ate through about pound of powder before the day was done. A real fun gun to shoot. Anyways i take it home for the cleaning ritual. On my smaller pietta revolver the handle comes apart easily for me to clean inside there and soak those metal pieces in soapy water. Now with the uberti i had to fight it a little get the screws out, the butt screw being the worst. I noticed that the V-spring is much different than the the spring on my other revolver, (straight piece of steel riveted to the bottom of the handle) This V-spring has a notch in it that allows it to come off from the brass handle. Now im a bit confused as to how it all goes back together. I tried several different methods of getting the handle back onto the rest of the gun but in all cases nothing ended up sitting as flush and tight together as it had been originally. Plus alot of the screw head are all messed up from the screw driver slipping (No worries i ordered new ones). When i get them in the mail I will try another shot at getting it all back together without "screwing" it up. Does anyone know how to properly get the handle back on the gun? I think the notch in the v-spring has something to do with it. thanks.
Old April 9, 2009, 08:00 PM   #2
AdmiralB

The way you get the spring back on is, assemble everything except the backstrap and stocks...then sit the spring on the triggerguard so that the slot on the spring is over the latch on the triggerguard. Compress the spring, then slide it up under the hammer so that the latch captures it.

If you have strong hands, you don't need tools. Otherwise, you'll need a mainspring vise, or you can use pliers/visegrips. You'll need to use some padding so that you don't mess up the brass on the front of the triggerguard if you use a tool, however.
Old April 9, 2009, 09:32 PM   #3
pohill

The 1st pic shows how to compress the spring with a Walker nipple wrench.
The second shows how to compress it with a tool that I bought at Track of the Wolf.
You can also use visegrips and leather.
After some time, the spring does weaken so now I can compress it and slide it off by hand.

Old April 9, 2009, 09:51 PM   #4
madcratebuilder

Great photo pohill. I had read that the Walker tool would aid in installing the V spring. Now I know how to use it, thanks.

For the OP, to avoid those buggered screw heads get a hollow ground driver set like this one from midway, well worth the cost.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=824376

These add on tips well cover just about any screw you well encounter.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=516186
Old April 9, 2009, 11:05 PM   #5
vwjoe84

Awesome, thanks everybody for the help. I did order the walker nipple puller/screwdriver, its coming in the mail with the new screws. How is the screwdriver on the walker tool anyway? I will have to look into that screwdriver set from midway, price seems right.
Old April 10, 2009, 06:05 AM   #6
pohill

As a mainspring compresser, that tool was not very popular back "in the day", and I only used it once for the pic. The screwdriver tip would work in a pinch, on some of the screws, but I don't recommend it for working on the gun regularly. I use it to push the wedge out - the tip is offset enough so you can compress the spring while you push the wedge out (although metal on metal is never good). Just watch that mainspring - it has some straight-up snap to it.
Old April 10, 2009, 09:03 AM   #7
madcratebuilder

Quote:
How is the screwdriver on the walker tool anyway? I will have to look into that screwdriver set from midway, price seems right.
My Walker tool came with my 2nd gen. It appears to be very good quality. Great for nipples and it fits the screw heads fairly well. I would only use it as a screw driver in a field emergency.
Just about every used cap and ball revolver I have bought over the years has had at least on screw head fubar. I hate that! It is my biggest pet peeve. There is no excuse for that happening. It is the sign of a lazy gun owner.
The two driver kits from Midway (above links) well give you a wide assortment of blade thickness and width. It well cover every gun the average enthusiast well encounter.