The Firing Line Forums
Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > S.W.A.T. Magazine

Old December 16, 2002, 04:26 PM   #26
Marty Hayes

I don't think the majority of people give LEO's the credit they deserve. I would be willing to guess that most state and local cops throughout the U.S. would never start going door to door to confiscate firearms. Perhaps the feds, but there aren't enough fed's to come and disarm the little rural county I live in, let along America.

On the other hand, there is a lot that civilians can learn about studying SWAT tactics, which are little more than indivdual tactics performed in a group.
Marty Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2004, 11:37 AM   #27
yy

Academy-
not to contradict your post that SWAT tactics aren't intimidating, just "individual tactics performed in a group," but...

people are often surprised at the result of group activity formed by the sum of individual activities. Examples are the gridlock in Los Angeles, giant ant hills in Africa, and "killer" bees. Each individual perform its task in each example only to result in a group behavior that was not forseeable based on analyzing the individual.

-just my geeky two cents.

Whats my point? That the individual tactics are not intimidating. But it's exactly the "performed in a group" that gives SWAT its power. This is also why individual suspects have such a hard time evading even just two officers in pursuit who are in constant communication.
yy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2004, 12:36 PM   #28
Quartus

Quote:
Yes...

I agree with Hk. I am entering Law Enforcement, and many LE officers I speak with are very pro-second. I believe that in a SHTF scenario like you speak about (And I consider confiscating all weapons a SHTF scenario) that many police officers would simply refuse to enforce the laws or resign. I know I would.

But perhaps I am idealistic. I will see how I like LE after I have been in it for awhile.

Kudos, to you, sir, and I hope you are representative of a new generation. I'm afraid I don't share the optimism of "Firearms Academy" about most LEOs these days. I vaguely recall a survey to that effect, and the overwhelming answer was that orders would be followed.

In light of that, Martin Luther, I can't think of anything better than to have a magazine like SWAT being read regularly by LOTS of LEOs. The more the better. (I'm sure Rich agrees! ) What better way to get the message of FREEDOM into the LEO community? They sure aren't getting from the mainstream media. They sure aren't getting if from their unions. They sure aren't getting it from City Hall, in most cases. Everywhere they turn they are being told, "You are not civilians. You are ABOVE civilians. You enforce the LAW. You ARE the law. Obey orders."

Certainly it's not that blatant, but that's still the message they hear most often.

I'm glad SWAT is there giving them a healthy message. And reading a bit here and there about a gun I am wrongly prohibited from owning doesn't make me mad at SWAT.

Better to know what you don't know than to think you know what you don't know.
Quartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2004, 04:17 PM   #29
gifted

Quote:
I believe that in a SHTF scenario like you speak about (And I consider confiscating all weapons a SHTF scenario) that many police officers would simply refuse to enforce the laws or resign. I know I would.
I know that LEO isn't the only place this would happen. How many military members are gun owners? I plan to be, and would do what little I could(consiencous objecter most likely). They'd have to institute a draft to keep the numbers up, and even then they'd have trouble.
gifted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2004, 07:21 PM   #30
RWK

Martin,

Welcome, and let me make a simple – but important – point. There are a few critical and common links between TFL and SWAT (in addition to Rich’s farsighted generosity in underwriting both):
> INFORMATION. Both SWAT and TFL provide copious amounts of firearms, RKBA, and self defense related facts.
> ADVOCACY. Both SWAT and TFL promote our rights to keep and bear arms.
> COMMUNITY. Both SWAT and TFL advance the firearms and individual rights communities.
Old July 2, 2004, 10:40 PM   #31
geegee

Quote:
I would be willing to guess that most state and local cops throughout the U.S. would never start going door to door to confiscate firearms.
I've taken a few tactical firearms courses taught by SWAT officers (both in their late 30's or early 40's). I have zero concerns about them, as regards a house to house gun grab. Now as far as a new LEO, about 23, and a year or two out of the academy...that makes me want to bury a rifle or two.
Old July 7, 2004, 09:06 AM   #32
K80Geoff

To really appreciate the significance of a magazine like SWAT...perhaps Martin Luther you should read Sun Tzu.
Old November 20, 2005, 04:19 AM   #33
gdeal

S.W.A.T. Magazine

I think S.W.A.T. Magazine is a good magazine. Neat pictures too.
gdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2005, 04:07 PM   #34
Eghad

I just subcribed to SWAT and am kicking myself for not doing so sooner...

The monthly columns are chock full of stuff for the LEO and the citizen.

The Dec issue had the article about restoring firearms that were in a fire.

article about a course civilians can take

chock full of goodies that we can buy!

NRA Life Member
Eghad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2005, 04:57 PM   #35
DannyB KY

Quote:
The sad truth is, the "unthinkable", Constitutionally, will be Federal units, probably military.
Quote:
I was fascinated by the talk of "zones of control", blocking supply routes, and [shudder] "camps." I did not know which was more frightening--hearing the words from their mouths or my realizing that the feds have already made advanced plans for thi
Quote:
I would be willing to guess that most state and local cops throughout the U.S. would never start going door to door to confiscate firearms.
September 2005 in New Orleans gives us the inside "scoop".

Elderly woman tackled in her home and disarmed by CHiP

Home Owners handcuffed, disarmed by US military

Have "they" determined WHO gave the order to disarm the public?
My impression is the governor.
S&W M 27-2
Trusty old family 12ga
New toy in the near future. But not sure what!!

USAF MSgt Retired 1977-1998------------ Ft Knox-French Range----------Knob Creek Range----
DannyB KY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2005, 11:05 AM   #36
Hornblower

SWAT /2nd amendment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with Hk. I am entering Law Enforcement, and many LE officers I speak with are very pro-second. I believe that in a SHTF scenario like you speak about (And I consider confiscating all weapons a SHTF scenario) that many police officers would simply refuse to enforce the laws or resign. I know I would.

But perhaps I am idealistic. I will see how I like LE after I have been in it for awhile.

******Wait until you don't get your first paycheck and see how you would feel about confiscating your confederates weapons!!!!??
Hornblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2005, 07:22 AM   #37
Glock 31

Guns & Ammo is centered toward the 99% of us. I think SWAT teams should have something that could be considered "Just for them".
Glock 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2005, 02:10 PM   #38
Pat Rogers
Member in memoriam

Glock 31,
Their is a magazine that is dedicated to, and available only to those directly involved in police special operations.
That magazine is The Tactical Edge, the official magazine of the National Tactical Officers Association.

SWAT Magazine has a more broad based population, both as writers and readers.
There are some tactics, techniques and procedures (TTP) that are transparent, but there are others that are not.

There are no articles in SWAT that are only for police and military. Even those that (for example) review a certain weapon, piece of equipment or ammunition available only to a specific user community are included for general information- something that a great many people want (take a look at any errornet forum and see what people are interested.

From my viewpoint up here on the soapbox, i would not submit a story to SWAT that had anything to do with sensitive information relative to TTP.
There are other venues for that (such as NTOA). SWAT Magazine is a general type magazine, and covers a wide variety of subject matter for the benefit of all.

Pat sends
www.eagtactical.com
Pat Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2005, 03:29 AM   #39
Glock 31

Sorry, my mistake.
Glock 31 is offline   Reply With Quote