The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 9, 2004, 05:29 PM   #1
Full Metal Jacket

Hydra-Shok ammo

I am consideirng buying some Federal HS loads for my .357 magnum revolver , and was wondeirng if any of u guys know the main advantage to this? I know alredy it supposedly adds muzzle velocity, but is it really good for home self-defense reasons, and is it a good "stopper" bullet? Any other info I need to know?
THX
Old December 9, 2004, 09:32 PM   #2
mete

Any premium ammo like the Hydra-shok will perform very well.It doesn't add muzzle velocity. My experience with .40S&W 155 gr on woodchucks and feral dogs is excellent.
Old December 9, 2004, 09:42 PM   #3
E505

Right now I have both of my Wilson Combat CQB .45’s loaded with Federal Hydra-Shok 230 gr. JHP.

I went with this round for two reasons; one was that Wilson Combat recommended it for the CQB.

Two, at the muzzle it will give me 850fps with 370 foot pounds of energy, at 100 yards I’m now down to 770fps and 305 foot pounds of energy. Not a very big loss of velocity or energy over a very large distance for a handgun.

Most Federal ammo is a very reasonable price and readily available at most sporting stores.
Old December 10, 2004, 09:44 AM   #4
mvpel

I carried .45ACP Hydra-Shok in my Glock 30 for about a year, but switched to Speer Gold Dot a couple of months ago since that's what my local police use.

I found that in my FEG brand HiPower 9mm, Hydra-Shok's didn't feed very well, so I switched to Remington law-enforcement ammo.
1 Samuel 13:19

Last edited by mvpel; December 10, 2004 at 12:05 PM.
Old December 10, 2004, 11:28 PM   #5
Smith66

I used to carry 130 Hydra Shoks in my .357 magnum for CCW, but I've since switched to 145gr. Silvertips. Hydra Shoks are a great personal defense round, IMHO. They designed to shoot large holes in soft targets. Federal says they make 1300 FPS and 490 ft. lbs at the muzzle, but I never cronographed them. They felt plenty hot out of my 2 1/2 K frame. I actually find that the Silvertips are cheaper in my area, so I've gone with them, and they are also a great round.

Good Shooting
Old December 13, 2004, 04:31 PM   #6
Cazach

The best "stopper" bullet for HD is 00buck. Beyond that, the Hydra Shok has many years of history as a good defensive round. The Sabers, Gold Dots, Rangers, etc. are all supposed to be as effective and it really comes down to two things:

1. What works best in your particular weapon

2. Ford vs. Chevy.
Old December 13, 2004, 05:21 PM   #7
WillBrayjr

The Federal Hydra-Shok is very potent, but so are other premium hollowpoints. I suggest picking up a few different brands of topself rounds and test them for accuracy. Your firearm may throw a curveball with them. My grandfather's Ruger 96/44 carbine did, put the Hydra-Shok everywhere except the bullseye at 50 meters.
Old December 20, 2004, 12:33 PM   #8
BillCA

The Hydrashok 230gr .45ACP rounds are very accurate in my Springfield Champion. They also seem to do pretty well out of a 2" S&W M649 .357.

The "big deal" with the Hydrashok is that most of their hollowpoint ammo has a center post to assist with the expansion of the HP. From all I've seen it works pretty well.

I agree with WillJr -- test a box of each premium brand of ammo with your gun and go with the ones that are the most accurate and allow you a fast, controlled follow-up shot. This can be a little bit expensive but when you need the accuracy it's worth the investment.
Old December 22, 2004, 02:15 AM   #9
AUG

Pretty much any middleweight 357 mag. HP is about as good as it gets for handgun stopping power when using a 4" bbl or longer.

The Remington 125 grain SJHP is still the king on two legged predators in my book.