The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old September 23, 2002, 09:02 PM   #1
wun_8_seven

chapman academy

hi, anybody been to chapmans school, or know anything about it. any info would be helpful . thanx, 187
Old September 23, 2002, 09:13 PM   #2
KSFreeman

Hi, wun. TFLer Glock-o-matic and I took the Advanced Defensive Pistol course. What do you wish to know, sir?
Old September 23, 2002, 09:26 PM   #3
wun_8_seven

thanx for the reply ksfreeman, is this a good school for someone who has shot alot but had no formal training? do you shoot alot? what kind of equipment do you need to bring? quality of instruction. if you have time to answer all these questions i would be grateful. 187
Old September 23, 2002, 09:47 PM   #4
KSFreeman

Good school for anyone who has shot a lot, but no formal instruction? It depends. Gun skuls stress different aspects. You don't go to MIT to study Greek Lit. Chapman/Green Valley is a pure shooting school--grip, sights, trigger. There is little emphasis on gun handling, tactics or mindset. For me, this was good. When I went, I was having problems. John Skaggs got me sorted out.

Shoot a lot? Yes, in fact, you are welcome to shoot after class. Who could resist that great steel range!!!

Equipment? Good holster and belt. Two good pistols. Glock and I both broke guns. Glock his G30 and I broke a Custom Colt that I have had since undergrad. Poor thing wore out. Good mags, water bottle, fruit, plenty of ammo. Moleskin for your hands.

Instruction? Depends on what you are looking for. John is an excellent shooting instructor. That's what I needed.
Old September 24, 2002, 07:24 PM   #5
Preacherman

Hi, wun_8_seven. I did the Advanced course at Chapman Academy in 2001, and had a ball! The Bianchi Cup had just finished, and we got to use all of their stages, steel, etc. There were only 6 of us on the course, so we had a great deal of individual attention from John Skaggs. That, plus the fact that all of us had had quite a bit of prior training (a prerequisite for the Advanced course), and therefore came in at a pretty high level to begin with, meant that we learned a whole lot during our week together.

I can't comment on the introductory course, but based on the superb quality of the Advanced course, I must assume that it's at least as good in its way, and I can certainly give John Skaggs a top-flight recommendation. (I understand from Massad Ayoob that Ray Chapman hand-picked John to run his school when he retired: and I know from personal experience that it was an inspired choice!)

Mas also calls the Advanced course "the Harvard MBA of handgun shooting courses", and in terms of the amount of stuff covered and different skills learned, I'd have to say he's not far off. Personally, I'd rate the Level 3 courses at Thunder Ranch and/or Gunsite (the latter known only by reputation, I'm afraid) as being at least as good. However, the fact that so many very professional organizations train at Chapman Academy is a testimony in itself to that school. (The Navy SEALs had been there a week or so before our advanced class, and John was still muttering profanely to himself about their marksmanship with MP-5's on full-auto... they had shot both wing mirrors off the school's Toyota Land Cruiser during the shoot-while-driving scenarios!)
Old September 24, 2002, 08:54 PM   #6
wun_8_seven

i'm a retired leo with a fair amount of training. but my wife of six years has just conceded that i wont always be there if trouble comes her way, and if she is going to carry she needs some training. shes shot a lot out back of the house at empty pop bottles and such but no formal training and i don't have the patience to teach, plus she says i make her nervous when trying to. we're in okla. so chapman wouldn't be to far. thanx for the replys. 187