The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 11, 2010, 02:29 AM   #1
HAMMER1DOWN

where to find Grizzlies around Ketchican, Alaska

Hi ya'll! I have a buddy up in AK right now and he asked me to post up here where he could look to possibly find some grizzlies around the Ketchican area, he is planning on hunting one while he is up there for the Coast Guard.

Thanks,
Hammer 1
Old September 11, 2010, 07:55 AM   #2
Rifleman1776

I would think local folks would be the best source of info.
OTOH, he could just let the griz find him. All he has to do is put some chocolate and bacon in his pockets and go for a walk.
I believe, for non-residents, law requires bear hunters to hire a licensed guide. That needs to be checked out. If he is in the CG he doesn't need an arrest on his records.
Old September 11, 2010, 08:36 AM   #3
skydiver3346

Griz:

Wasn't hunting obviously, but saw two of them last week in Glacier National Park in Montana. Closest one was about half mile away (slowly coming down a mountain side). Just an awesome sight to behold through my binocs....
Old September 11, 2010, 11:05 AM   #4
taylorce1

Quote:
I would think local folks would be the best source of info.
OTOH, he could just let the griz find him. All he has to do is put some chocolate and bacon in his pockets and go for a walk.
I believe, for non-residents, law requires bear hunters to hire a licensed guide. That needs to be checked out. If he is in the CG he doesn't need an arrest on his records
Most States give Armed Forces members stationed there resident hunting status as far as licensing goes. I had a buddy stationed up in Fairbanks and he said that he still had to wait one year before he could hunt Griz, Brown, Sheep and Goats without the use of a guide. So he is probably ok, but still better to be safe than sorry.
Old September 11, 2010, 01:10 PM   #5
jgcoastie

Once you have been stationed in Alaska via PCS orders, ADF&G recognizes active duty military as residents; regardless of actual legal residence.

For your first year, you are eligible for non-resident military hunting and sport fishing licenses which are about the same cost of resident licenses. It covers small game, waterfowl, etc... Also covers deer hunting IIRC.

As far as where to find bear; tell him to go salmon fishing in the more remote portions of the island. Also tell him not to go alone and to be well-equipped to handle bear defense. Bear spray is best, followed by a lever-action rifle in the following calibers:
- .45/70 Government
- .450 Marlin
- .444 Marlin
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old September 11, 2010, 04:19 PM   #6
aaalaska

The island has a very low number of browns, or maybe none ,lots of blacks , deer ,goats, an wolves. The main land across Behm canal has good numbers, and they should be into the fish heavy now. But access will require a long boat ride or fly in.We lived there 20 some years ago and did some hunting, fishing ,never cut any griz sign on the island ,and was told there might be some but not many. But all the islands down there have good hunting for black bear. If I were back there for awhile I'd really look into a goat hunt. Good luck with whatever.
Alex
Old September 11, 2010, 04:27 PM   #7
Fat White Boy

Tell him to go out in the woods, build a fire and start cooking bacon. They will find him...
Old September 16, 2010, 03:59 PM   #8
Bush Pirate

I would look into the frosty bay area or power plant at Tyee(bradfield river).