The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 5, 1999, 07:13 AM   #1
Hal

Ok, I had no reason to doubt it was anything other than what was advertised. The sign said new unfired, this was the third batch of brass I bought from the guy, but the first batch of .44 Special. The other stuff was .44 Mag. I primed 10 cases, belled the case mouth, charged them and seated the bullets. 5 went normal,3 didn't feel "right", as the bullets fell all the way into the case. [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]? I resized one of the unprimed ones, and lo and behold, it went in hard all the way. I looked real close at the ones still in the bag, and sure enough, you can tell that they have been fired before. Not a big deal, but it kinda ticks me off enough that I had to vent about it here. I am a bit PO'ed about getting what appears to be once fired for the price of new, but more PO'ed that I didn't catch it right away. What's the best way to handel it? The guy sets up at the local shows. I have bought a fair amount of stuff from him in the past, stuff he has and the local shops don't carry, mainly brass and lead and Lee stuff. He seems like a straight shooter (no pun). Just tell him next time I'm at his table? Or should I go after him by opening a bag and pointing out that the stuff is obviously used, but cleaned and sorted. I'm not after any retribution or a refund, and I doubt if making a stink at his table would have any effect in the long run. Should I just use it as a learning experience? I know in the future, I will open and carefully look at every bag of brass I buy. It only takes a second, and maybe someone else in here may benifit. I bought 50 .44 Special and 100 .38 Special so it isn't like I stocked up for anything. Since I am going to load light, and the brass appears to be in decent shape,is marked R P, which I take to be Remington brass, I don't think I really got shafted. Even if it is once fired, it was cleaned and sorted, something the cheaper once fired usually isn't. I figure, at most, I overpaid less than $10.00, probably closer to $8.00, but it just galls me. I'm interested to hear how anybody here would handle it.
Old December 5, 1999, 10:20 AM   #2
HankL

Hal, I wouldn't hunt him down or anthing but the next time I saw him I would certainly bring it to his attention. He might have bought it thinking it was new brass. I would base my future relationship with this vendor on the outcome of your next meeting.
Hank
Old December 5, 1999, 11:21 AM   #3
Hal

HankL,
That's pretty much my thinking too. He seems like a decent sort that wouldn't purposely try to pull a fast one. Mainly I wanted to use my own stupidity as an example to TFL, to be careful when you buy components. I got took, but a lot of the fault was mine for letting it happen.

------------------
CCW for Ohio action site.
http://www.ofcc.net
Do what you C.A.N.

http://thematrix.acmecity.com/digital/237/cansite/can.html

Old December 5, 1999, 12:23 PM   #4
Mal H
Staff

I agree with Hank's advice. But, I do wonder how you missed the fact that they were cleaned and not new from the gitgo. I'm not questioning your powers of observation, but there is always a huge difference in the luster of new vs. cleaned cases on the inside of the case even chemically cleaned ones. The reason I ask is that maybe they were new but not sized by the original mfg. I can't imagine that being the case, but maybe it is. Which company were they from?
Old December 5, 1999, 04:56 PM   #5
Paul B.

Mal H. He said they were R/P. That's Remington. I've always resized and belled brand new brass as a matter of course. I've found brass from almost all the manufacturers to be loose, bent mouths and even without a primer flash hole. If that brass is in good shape, I would not get too bent about it. I'd tell the guy, but if he has been straight with you in the past, well maybe he got took.
I got a rifle in a trade, that was supposed to have been built by a well-known Tucson custom gun maker. We're talking trading a $1,400 drilling for a rifle of equal value.
Well, when I got home, I found that the rifle would not feed from the magazine, the trigger was a butchered up military, and after firing it as a single shotg, the bolt handle came off. Great rifle. Well, I live in Tucson, so I went to the purported gun maker. He said he did not make the gun, and that it was a forgery. Well it cost me several hundred dollars to make the gun right. At the next gun show, I saw the guy I got the gun from and told him what had happened. This was on a Saturday. He told me to bring in the receipts on my repairs and he would make it right. This I did, and he gave me $100 over my costs, just to cover something that might have been missed. Kudos to a gentleman and honest dealer. I sure look rifles over a lot closer now.
Paul B.