The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 5, 2015, 05:39 PM   #1
Joe_Pike

Feeling Undergunned

I have been carrying for quite a few years now and have carried a 642 90% of the time with the other 10% being something like an LCP. I have always felt like I had plenty of gun with me for the places in town that I frequent.....until the last year or so.

The city I live in is consistently in the top five most dangerous mid-sized cities in the country for the last few years. I have had two attempted break-ins at my house and there have been two murders in my neighborhood in the last year....and I live in a pretty GOOD neighborhood. Home invasions and robberies seem to be carried out by teams instead of individuals and the homeless population is increasing everyday here (not saying all homeless are violent, but many are).

I keep feeling like I need to carry something with a higher capacity but I sure do love to pocket carry. I can carry a G26 in my pocket, but not nearly as comfortably as the 642. Carrying OWB or IWB just doesn't seem to work for me because of how how I am built. I have thought of moving to a CM9, but that is only an increase of two rounds.

If I can't figure something out, I'll probably just pocket carry the 26 with an extra mag, even though it feels more brick-like in my pocket. If I was 6'4" and 200 pounds the choice would be easier.
Old April 5, 2015, 05:49 PM   #2
EIGHTYDUECE

Try a KelTec P-11 9mm. It is flatter than the Glock yet still carries 10 rounds in the mag (flush fitting 12 rounders available from KelTec) It is also true (long pull) DAO which I would prefer for pocket carry. It will also accept 15 round S&W mod 59 magazines.

"Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart"- ASH
Old April 5, 2015, 05:54 PM   #3
Joe_Pike

I had a P11 and sold it. I could not for the life of me shoot it without it digging into my thumb joint. I couldn't get a comfortable grip with it unless I added the longer S&W magazine, but then it was no longer a pocket gun.
Old April 5, 2015, 06:03 PM   #4
DT Guy

I'd look at shoulder holsters; while there are drawbacks, they have their place, and that includes for folks who have trouble with OWB/IWB carry.

And I hear you about feeling 'undergunned'; there are things going on today (like flash mobs and group home invasions) that seemed much less common a few years ago.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old April 5, 2015, 06:19 PM   #5
txray22

Get a good holster and carry the G26 on you waist. Either OWB or IWB. Maybe carry the J-frame in the pocket just in case.
Old April 5, 2015, 06:47 PM   #6
lamarw

Not ignoring your personal carry concerns, it sounds as though your home protection firearm should be of great concern.

I would be thinking in terms of a good short barrel, 18 1/2 to 20", 12 gauge with 8 round capacity. In fact this is what I have next to my bed, and I am not in a dangerous neighborhood.
Old April 5, 2015, 06:54 PM   #7
Joe_Pike

I'm fixed for HD - short barrel 500 12 gauge, SA XD9, etc.
Old April 5, 2015, 07:38 PM   #8
Whirlwind06

Have you tried appendix carry? Or thunder wear maybe.
I carry a Beretta PX4 subcompact (13 rounds) in front of my right hip in a IWB holster. Behind the hip has never worked for me.
Old April 5, 2015, 07:49 PM   #9
Jack19

Carrying weapons isn't supposed to be comfortable, it's supposed to be comforting. Can't remember who said that; but, it's true.

I've carried full sized pistols for most of my working life. 1911s, Beretta 92s, Browning HPs, Sig P220s, 228s, 229s, and a Glock 19 on my ankle (in a Lou Alessi Ankle Rig which is worth every penny.)

Basically, you do what you have to do to conceal them. After all, how badly do you want to stay alive?
Old April 5, 2015, 08:26 PM   #10
FairWarning

The current generation of wundernines have made carry of 15 rounders easier than ever. There is the HK VP9, Walther PPQ and CZ P07 and P-01, not to mention and competitive XDs and M&Ps that are truly tuckable yet have ~4 inch barrels.

I picked up a PPQ M1 for this purpose and it is amazing to hold and shoot. When there is something this formidable in a compact package, I'm willing to adjust my attire to be able to carry it. You can carry a micro 9 without compromising your attire at all, but then again you aren't getting full-sized LE/Duty performance out of the little tykes.
Old April 5, 2015, 08:26 PM   #11
Deaf Smith

Soon as the Glock 43 comes out I might retire my J 640 .38 for summer carry.

We will see how well it works out.

I use the Glock 26 daily in all but such hot weather I'm reduced to shorts and t-shirt.

Deaf
Old April 5, 2015, 09:06 PM   #12
Joe_Pike

Quote:
Carrying weapons isn't supposed to be comfortable, it's supposed to be comforting.
Well, it shouldn't be a pain in the tukus either. Too be honest, I really wish I didn't feel the need to carry. I don't really enjoy it. I just do it because the world is a dangerous place.

And, that is a Clint Smith quote I believe.

Last edited by Joe_Pike; April 5, 2015 at 09:23 PM.
Old April 5, 2015, 09:09 PM   #13
Model12Win

A 5-shot .38 J-frame is all any real shooter needs for the purposes of civillian self defense IMNSHO.

If you can place the shots and carry a good hollow point load, the gun will solve any self defense problem any civilian is likely to ever encounter. While the small autos have may inroads in the best couple decades, they will never match the utter simplicity and reliability of these compact revolvers. They have plenty of stopping power, and accurate in trained hands, and are a reliable and unfailing weapon even in the most violent and tumultuous encounters.

I trust my life to my S&W 642 every day, and wouldn't think of trading it for any other concealable defensive handgun. OP: I think you need to hit the range more than worry about your carry choice. It's not the gun, it's the man behind it that decides the outcome of a justified self defense shooting.
Old April 5, 2015, 09:39 PM   #14
Joe_Pike

I am confident in my shooting ability, but not so much in my ability to foresee the future and how many people that I may have to defend myself against.
Old April 5, 2015, 09:46 PM   #15
Bill DeShivs

You might try the Keltec PF9. It's a totally different experience than the P11.
Old April 5, 2015, 09:48 PM   #16
Cheapshooter

Quote:
how many people that I may have to defend myself against.
Most likely only the first one you shoot. The remaining cowards will be running like their lives depend on it........Because as far as they know it does!
Don't fret about your current carry options.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old April 5, 2015, 10:10 PM   #17
JohnKSa
Staff

There's a lot of firearm real estate between the 642 and the Glock 26. More than there ever has been in fact.

You could go to a 7+1 package in 9mm (a 60% bump in capacity over the 642) and still stay with something significantly smaller, lighter and thinner than a Glock 26.
Old April 5, 2015, 10:16 PM   #18
jason.jardine72

I live in Canada and as many of you know we depend on the police to mop up the remains of what is left 10 minutes after the crime has been committed! !!! I am envious of the protection you are allowed to have to protect yourself and love ones !!!! We will spend our lives in jail is we protect our self or family !!! It is horrendous and unforgivable that we can not help our love ones even in our own homes !!!! Sorry for the bitterness !!!! I do have a question about the number of weapons you can carry ? Is a hip , ankle and shoulder aloud at once or just one sidearm at a time ??? I've always been fond of large capacity large bore (1911) short reset pistols but because of the law I don't know enough about them .. i was just wondering cause if u felt under gunned I would just carry a shoulder or ankle to make up the difference and a double stack .45 !!! I currently target practice with a SR1911 Sig 250 .45 357 magnum revolver 357 magnum coonan automatic 1911 22 Sig , ruger mark 111 , Walther P22 , glock .40 , norinco 1911 , S&W 500 and some long arms !!!! I in my opinion after 12 years of training 4 days a week have some skills !!!! I do not want to Carry in the street for fear of others over reacting but in my home I feel I should be legally obligated to protect my castle and family !!!! Sorry again about the rant but can you carry more than one side arm!!!????
Old April 5, 2015, 10:23 PM   #19
skizzums

please do not get fixated on the first word in the title of this gun......Taurus PT111 G2. perfect hi-cap, pocketable gun. I don't know of any other gun in it's exact size class. it's perfectly reliable and extremely shootable and has about every feature one could want. I am very happy to have jumped on one when PSA had the sale. 12+1 9mm, not quite "double-stack" but a "staggered" magazine that has almost as slim of a grip as my shield. great adjustable sights and very decent "sa" striker. I know a lot of people turn their nose up at the word Taurus, but this one is a real winner. my shield now sits, will probably give it to a family member soon.
Old April 6, 2015, 12:29 AM   #20
Shoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.jardine72
can you carry more than one side arm
As far as I know, if a state allows you to carry, there's no limit on how many guns you can carry. If a state does have a limit, it would be the exception and I'd like to learn about it myself.
Old April 6, 2015, 12:40 AM   #21
jason.jardine72

Thank you shoot !!!!! I appreciate your response !! But now that I have had time to think about it , I suppose 2 guns is all a person needs to carry !!!! 5 or 10 mags and if your a revolver man some speed loaders and practice is a lot less cumbersome !!!! I was just curious at first!!
Old April 6, 2015, 02:05 AM   #22
Bake

We are allow to carry only the firearm listed on the permit. Silly, but that's the way it is....
Old April 6, 2015, 02:19 AM   #23
Brotherbadger

I'd carry a few extra mags if you are feeling undergunned.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old April 6, 2015, 03:07 AM   #24
jason.jardine72

It would be in your best interest to carry mags in canada we need to keep them locked and our pistols double locked in a safe
Old April 6, 2015, 03:10 AM   #25
jason.jardine72

Canada reminds me of what the Australian priminister said after the hostage crisis. He said that by disarming the public they made a country full of victims! !!