The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 30, 2009, 09:37 AM   #1
ArizFlash

Question on TX Concealed Carry Law

I've recently relocated to TX from AZ. I have a CCW from AZ. Do I need to get a TX concealed carry permit now that I am a TX resident or is my AZ CCW still good?

I've read through the TX concealed carry law and cannot find the answer and have had several conflicting responses from co-workers.
Old December 30, 2009, 11:27 AM   #2
CowTowner

IIRC, once you have been a TX resident long enough to be required to have a TX drivers license, you'll need to get a TX CHL.
Until someone here posts the section of code, call a local CHL instructor and ask.
Try here as well: http://www.texaschlforum.com
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old December 30, 2009, 11:45 AM   #3
dogtown tom

Quote:
CowTowner IIRC, once you have been a TX resident long enough to be required to have a TX drivers license, you'll need to get a TX CHL.
No such requirement. Texas has reciprocity with a number of states and their permits are honored here as pictured below. I have several friends with out of state permits because getting a Texas CHL was taking too long.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old December 30, 2009, 12:03 PM   #4
Molon-Labe

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/LS-16.pdf. I think Page 7 contains the info you are looking for.
Old December 30, 2009, 12:04 PM   #5
Glenn E. Meyer

I'd advise calling DPS or seeing a direct statement to the matter on their site to be sure rather than trusting any other internet source.

Second, even if it was legit - can you be sure that local law would think so as you want to avoid the ride and complaining later.
Old December 30, 2009, 02:43 PM   #6
CowTowner

Quote:
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/LS-16.pdf. I think Page 7 contains the info you are looking for.
Looks like it's covered under GC 411.173. NONRESIDENT LICENSE. Page 7 of the PDF points you to what is page 12 in the PDF to start.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy