The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 29, 2002, 02:10 AM   #1
Thorn

How to remove bolt?

Ok , this should be real easy but it has me buffaloed.

The gun is a BSA in 30-06 might be 25 years old , bolt action , safety on the right hand side , no lever to remove the bolt.

I've tried pulling the bolt at various times as I'm pulling the bolt backwards . No luck.

Help !
Old June 29, 2002, 02:49 AM   #2
Thorn

Uh... that should read " I've tried pulling the trigger at various times as I'm pulling the bolt backwards.

A further identifying featiure of this gun is that on the rear of the bolt is a red indicator that shows when the gun is cocked. When the gun is fired the red indicator on the bolt withdraws into the bolt.

Does anyone know which model this BSA is ? Rosewood foreend tip and pistol grip cap. Barrel is about 22", hinged floorplate. 30-06 cal.

Thanks
Old June 29, 2002, 07:24 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Thorn, as far as I know from the different BSAs I've had in the shop you pull the bolt back about halfway, pull the trigger and hold it back while removing the bolt. If this doesn't work with yours there might be another problem. The sear may not be getting completely out of the way. The trigger stop screw may be adjusted in too far. This is located on the front of the trigger housing and controls overtravel. George
Old June 29, 2002, 07:14 PM   #4
Thorn

Ok figured it out ... to remove the bolt on this gun you push the trigger forward when pulling the bolt backward.

Thanks for the advice anyway George!