The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 2, 2013, 06:16 PM   #1
TunnelRat

XDm 3.8 Compact 9mm - Very Impressed

Hi all,
A lgs near me had just got in a few Springfield Armory XDm 3.8 Compacts in 9mm. Price seemed fair and I figured why the heck not (especially in case the hi-cap mags go away). Today was my first day at the range with it.

Initial Impressions:
I am very impressed with the gun as a package. The ergos on it are great for me, points naturally and the grip fills the hand well. Fit and finish seem quite nice and it has good serrations for easy gripping. Easy take-down too, very SIG-like. Smooth trigger with a slightly mushy break but very serviceable. Backstraps are nice and add some compatibility with different sized hands (the fact that Springfield even carried the concept through to the sleeves on the mag is both surprising and maybe a bit overdone, but I like it a lot). Decent three dot sights with serrations to reduce glare (I do plan on getting some night sights at some point). Big mag makes me smile with 19+1 capacity. Small mag still gives excellent 13+1 capacity. My pinky barely fits on the small mag and is a tight fit. Pearce grip extensions fix this nicely though, especially for larger handed shooters (I wear a medium glove but have skinny fingers).

Shooting:
Put 150 rds of good ole 115 gr WWB through it today. All that was done prior to shooting was lubing of the barrel and slide rails. Zero, 0, malfunctions. All cases ejected smartly away from the shooter to the 4-5 o'clock position. Doesn't seem to need a "break-in". Accuracy was surprisingly good. Shooting this side by side with my HK P2000 in SA and the XDm was holding up very nicely (kept pace with my buddy's P228 too). For my first time out with it I was very impressed. Recoil seemed quite low, though the gun is a good few ounces heavier than other 9mms so that is likely a factor. Despite the high bore axis, which is noticeable on the XD/XDm line, follow up shots came quickly. Shooting with the smaller mag led to a bit more snap, but easily controllable. Larger mag is nice for the range or for situations where concealment isn't an issue. The larger surface area helps with control I find. The grip sleeves for the large mags fit nicely, little to no wiggle. There also isn't much of a gap left so I feel like pinching shouldn't be a big problem.

Summary:
This baby is a keeper, I really like it. I might put a Power River Precision drop-in trigger kit to help with the mush a bit, but honestly it's not essential. Price all told was $589. For what I got out of it I think that's great value as the gun could serve double duty for carry and home defense with the different mag sizes. Now to find more mags...
Maintain situational awareness
Old February 2, 2013, 08:42 PM   #2
Japle

I've been carrying an XDm 3.8 with the full-size grip and a C-More dot sight for almost a year. It's a terrific gun, very accurate, fast, dependable, everything you could want.

I also went the Powder River route. The trigger was okay, but now it's really smooth and crisp with a short reset.

Old February 2, 2013, 11:45 PM   #3
Yung.gunr

My brother has an XDm, I think he got it to trump the XD9 I've had for years. It is a very nice gun, feels real good in the hand and love that capacity. Good choice.
Old February 3, 2013, 05:39 AM   #4
tristar viper

Springfields are great guns. I have long felt that they make some of the best polymer guns in that price range. My wife has an XD 9mm sub, and that little booger is SUPER accurate at whatever distance you feel the need to shoot. It shoots anything we throw at it, never malfunctions, and I give high regards to this brand of pistol.
In fact, she's away today and I am stealing her gun to go to the range with a buddy. Shhhhhhhhhh......
Old February 3, 2013, 12:12 PM   #5
TunnelRat

My only concern with the Powder River Precision kit is the pull weight. I'm a bit of a neanderthal used to 10 lb DA triggers. The kit mentions reducing the pull to between 3 and 4 lbs. That seems a bit light for carry to me.
Old February 3, 2013, 12:52 PM   #6
wstein

I just ordered a XDm 45 compact. It will be my second xd framed pistol. My xd40 is a super gun that is my bedside pistol. Can't wait to get the XDm to go shoot it.

I don't have a good signature.....

Last edited by wstein; February 3, 2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old February 3, 2013, 09:19 PM   #7
sigarms228

Nice range report Tunnelrat.

I don't own an XD but am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the new XDs 9mm to check out as Illinois is supposed to get CCW by this early summer that I never thought I would see so I am looking at possibilities for CCW including single stack 9MM. No one ever has a M&P shield and I believe I would rather have the grip safety than a frame mounted safety on a CCW is I must have one. Other options I am considering are the Walther PPS and the SIG P239 though the P239 may be a little on the heavy side and wide for CCW IMO.
Old February 3, 2013, 09:39 PM   #8
TunnelRat

Quote:
No one ever has a M&P shield and I believe I would rather have the grip safety than a frame mounted safety on a CCW is I must have one.
My exact thinking.

Quote:
the SIG P239 though the P239 may be a little on the heavy side and wide for CCW IMO.
HK P2000 my friend, slightly smaller, much better capacity, and a good deal lighter. My preferred option if you want a hammer fired DA/SA in that size.

I think you'll be happy with any of those though, and congrats on CC .
Old February 4, 2013, 01:16 AM   #9
redhologram

I was able to get a 13 rd mag for that particular gun from the SA website about a month ago. Arrived in a little over a week I believe.