The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 24, 2012, 02:52 PM   #1
wayneinFL

44 Webley reloading

I have an H&R American in 44 Webley on its way. I plan to shoot it.

I've never loaded a heel base bullet before. I haven't slugged it yet, but if it is a 442 caliber, with a heel base bullet, can I use a 442 caliber bullet made for a gas check? Is the groove for the gas check big enough?

If so, I am considering having a mold made by Mountain Mold. One of the options is to have a mold made in brass or aluminum. I've never used a brass mold before- only aluminum. How well does a brass mold work? Does the lead stick to the mold like solder would?

In my other research on the web, I've seen that the H&Rs produced after 1905 were made to handle smokeless powder, and also according to research on the web, mine is from that time frame. Of course, that advice is worth every penny I paid for it, and I'm sure every penny would be cheerfully refunded if my revolver blew up. Anybody have a documented source that can confirm this?