The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 20, 2009, 09:24 AM   #1
camper4lyfe

How do you sleep?

How do you sleep the night before opening day? I find that my mind starts to wander, and I get myself all worked up and excited with anticipation before opening day of gun season. This makes it pretty difficult to sleep, which is a bit counterproductive when you consider how early I have to wake up.

What do you do the night before the "big hunt"?
Old November 20, 2009, 09:50 AM   #2

You're not alone. I have accepted this as part of the hunting ritual. I guess if you didn't have those feelings and thoughts, maybe hunting isn't your bag. For me, it's part of what brings me back year after year. I used to find it hard to sleep the night before duck season opened as well.

To answer your question......

Mass quantities of alcohol, although, you might not be at your best during the hunt. Nyquill comes to mind....hmmm, might work. Undoubtedly you have hunting buddies....perhaps they could beat you senselessly rendering you unconscious. Again, you may not be up to par for next mornings hunt. Aw shucks, I think you are just going to have to deal with the excitement.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old November 20, 2009, 09:52 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

When I was going to hunting camp with my father, I didn't sleep.

Those guys would vibrate the damned cabin off the foundation and move it down the lane with their snoring and farting.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 20, 2009, 10:07 AM   #4
camper4lyfe

My only hunting buddy right now is my wife and dog, and neither of them actually hunt (it's actually part of the reason we got the dog...he doesn't retrieve very well, or at all). My wife just likes to sit by the fire and read.
Old November 20, 2009, 10:12 AM   #5
Willie Lowman

I tie one on with my uncle.

I never sleep much the night before opening day.
Old November 20, 2009, 10:36 AM   #6
horseman308

I don't sleep well either, unless I'm only planning for an afternoon/evening hunt. Of course I get excited, but I'm also a little paranoid about oversleeping and I find myself counting how many hours I've got left to sleep

"Okay, if I fall asleep now I'll get 6 more hours. . . . If I sleep now I'll get 4 1/2 more hours. . . . etc."
Old November 20, 2009, 11:43 AM   #7
davlandrum

2 stout cocktails and force ourselves to stay up until 10. Sometimes just the staying up part is hard, since it is dark and cold early. Still don't get great sleep, but at least am on my game in the morning.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old November 20, 2009, 12:46 PM   #8
langenc

Alcohol disrupts sleep patterns.
Old November 20, 2009, 12:54 PM   #9
davlandrum

So does excessive excitement, so its a trade off.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old November 20, 2009, 01:30 PM   #10
Buzzcook

I don't get nervous and excited till after I pull the triggerThe night after I get a deer I can't sleep
Old November 20, 2009, 01:40 PM   #11
sserdlihc

Two Tylenol PM and it is lights out for me.
Old November 20, 2009, 01:48 PM   #12
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Two Tylenol PM and it is lights out for me.
Tylenol PM and Benadryl contain fair amounts of the antihistamine Diphenhydramine. Diphenhydramine suppresses REM sleep, which causes a loss of sleep quality, which leads to groginess and lower immune function.
So... you're often better off getting the "crappy sleep", staying up the night before to ensure you're tired enough to sleep, or using a small quantity of alcohol to make the lights go out. (The 'night cap' has little effect on sleep patterns.)

I no longer have sleep problems before a hunt. I did in my younger years, but not any more. I just don't get worked up. I really look forward to hunts, throughout the year, but it doesn't get my anxiety level up now.

As a side note: One of the reasons the common "PM" medications have strong warnings about repeated use, is the REM suppression factor. Repeated loss of REM sleep (sometimes as few as 3 days with the medication) can lead to major dysfunction. The last thing I need, while walking through the woods, is to start hallucinating or having uncontrolled muscle spasms.
Old November 21, 2009, 07:05 AM   #13
jgcoastie

Quote:
having uncontrolled muscle spasms.
Happened to me once on a turkey hunt as a youngster...

Learned a real important lesson about sitting down in the dark...

Don't park your keester on an ant bed...

Dang turkeys must have thought I was looney, dancin around and stripping naked... They'll never forget that chubby white boy that was screamin and stripping...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old November 21, 2009, 08:14 AM   #14
Suwannee Tim

I don't sleep well at home and I don't sleep worth a damn if I'm uncomfortable. I don't hunt but I camp in a tent and I will sleep a couple of hours without help. This is no danged good on a week long river trip. I take 3 mg of melatonin every night about a half hour before bed time. This is an OTC "dietary supplement". Camping I take temazepam which is a Schedule 3 prescription drug. I will take it every night of a camping trip but when I return home I will not take it for at least a week. I will not take it at home for more than two nights in a row or two nights in a week. You can get addicted to it which I don't want.
Old November 21, 2009, 01:42 PM   #15
MosinM38

Not real great.

I get all excited,etc. and can't sleep.

Problem is, for me, it's all season
Old November 21, 2009, 01:57 PM   #16
Ricky

Sleep

I usually don't sleep well the night before (usually getting to deer hunting camp in the early evening the day before opening day) Then I'll get up well before dawn, hunt till about 10:00 then take a nap. Last time when i woke up from my nap I shot a nice buck before I even stood up!
Old November 21, 2009, 02:21 PM   #17
sserdlihc

Quote:
I no longer have sleep problems before a hunt. I did in my younger years, but not any more. I just don't get worked up. I really look forward to hunts, throughout the year, but it doesn't get my anxiety level up now.
That is great to hear FM! I have used Tylenol Pm for a while and I function just fine. Appreciate the concern though.
Old November 21, 2009, 06:40 PM   #18
camper4lyfe

Well, my excitement was pointless...didn't see a dang thing. I need to find a new spot. It's somewhat convenient, but there's not a lot of sign, or movement.
Old November 21, 2009, 08:48 PM   #19
James R. Burke

Yes indeed that is a good question. It seems to get better with time, and of course time spent is the woods. I try to get all my things together the night before, and whatever needs to be done. Then I take some sleeping aids, and try my best.
Old November 22, 2009, 08:17 AM   #20
roy reali

Coffee

I just drink a bunch of coffee.
Old November 22, 2009, 09:30 AM   #21
Edward429451

I don't get excited the night before. There's been more empty seasons than filled. The night after my successful hunt however...I pretty much couldn't sleep. Last year the man upstairs finally let me connect for the first time, and it meant so much to me beyond providing food for my family.
Old November 22, 2009, 10:01 AM   #22
trigger happy

you guys can actually sleep?
Old November 22, 2009, 10:14 AM   #23
fisherman66

I loose sleep over problems. I get my very best rest in a tent or camper away from the star killing lights of the city. If there's a cricket or toad serenading me...all the better. The day following a hunt over hill and dale brings even better sleep. I take one vacation a year and that's for an annual hunting trip with some old buddies. 5 more days
Old November 22, 2009, 09:15 PM   #24
HiBC

That elevation gain and pack in makes me really tired.Then there is digging up the cache with the british army cot and a mountain dew bottle of Old Bushmills.

There is not enough spirits in camp to even ponder getting a buzz,but sipping an oz is relaxing.

A therma-rest on top of the cot,the -20 down bag,balcava on my head.

I sleep.The cot contributes a lot.

If I can get 2 sleep cycles of about 2+ hrs each,I can make it OK the next day.
Old November 22, 2009, 09:25 PM   #25
benny27

You might want to try melatonin, a natural easy to get sleep aid. It's actaually a natural chemical that the pineal glands secret to help you fall asleep. You can get them at usually any drug store, and yes they actually work. I have used them myself, good luck.