The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 17, 2006, 07:20 AM   #1
kingudaroad

Bolt wont close

First handloads with new rifle. Rem VLS in 6mm. New win brass,fl resized. Untrimmed but measured under max case length. I could not close the bolt on three out of twenty rounds. Its not like it was tight, just stuck. Chambered fine until I tried to put the bolt down. I can't find any difference in these three rounds but I know there must be. Any help would be appreciated.
Old July 17, 2006, 07:40 AM   #2
hoghunting

Check over-all length first. If that is ok, use a dark marker - Marks-a-lot - and color the bullet. Chamber the round again, then remove it and see if any coloring has been removed. If you have marks on your bullet, your COL is too long.
Old July 17, 2006, 08:16 AM   #3
kingudaroad

Might be on to something here.

I pulled one of the bullets and tried to chamber empty case. Bolt would not close. I took the decapping pin/expander ball out of my FL resizing die, screwed in the die until it touched the shellholder on the upstroke and resized the case again. Bolt would still not close. Next I srewed in the die another 1/8 turn so it cammed a little bit on the shellholder and again resized. Bingo!

To recheck my findings I pulled another bullet and went through the process again. This time I only tightened the die an extra 1/16 turn and it worked again except a little harder to close the bolt.

So I guess my fl sizing die is not pushing the shoulders back enough. I have shot a box of factory ammo through this gun and they all worked although some were a little tight I thought. Is my die maybe to blame or can this chamber be that tight? Does it hurt anything to have the die screwed in past where it touches the shellholder?
Old July 17, 2006, 09:19 AM   #4
Mal H
Staff

"Does it hurt anything to have the die screwed in past where it touches the shellholder?"

No, up to a certain limit. When adjusting rifle dies it is common practice to screw the die in slightly more after it just touches the shell holder. When a case is in the die and being resized, you will find that the die is barely touching or even a little off the shell holder. This is caused by the infinitesimal stretching of just about everything on the press and taking out any play in bearings, etc. when the extreme pressure of resizing comes into play.

Your new adjustment procedure is proper.
Old July 17, 2006, 09:46 AM   #5
Ausserordeutlich

I use the Wilson case gage for setting up my sizing dies for bottleneck reloading. Takes out the "guesswork."
Old July 17, 2006, 10:29 AM   #6
kingudaroad

" Your new adjustment procedure is proper. "

Music to my ears Mal! I guess that's a reason to fl resize new brass.

Good to know I don't have any headspace issues also. Thanks a bunch!
Old July 17, 2006, 11:58 PM   #7
El Paso Joe

Just a note...

RE screwing the die past where it touches the shell holder - it is ok on most dies but not recommended for carbide (or so RCBS says...).
Old July 18, 2006, 07:58 AM   #8
Mal H
Staff

Very true, carbide dies can crack if they are cammed down too hard against the shell holder. I started to mention that, but since he is loading for rifles with a steel die (I don't know of a carbide die for 6mm), I didn't.

Good tip for handgun reloading though. Even so, turning the die in a little beyond touching is still a normal practice even with carbide dies.