The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 25, 2005, 06:54 AM   #76
XavierBreath

Quote:
Personally I think that "technique" shown there is a load of bull.
I agree. it's niceypoo "lets disarm him and make him all nice again" BS. Whatever happened to kicking his manhood into his throat and running like mercury outa there? The goal is survival, not disarming bad guys.

When your enemy does what you expect them to, you are training.
When they no longer do what you like, you are fighting.

At this point the caption could read attacker shoves defender onto her butt with one step forward and a left heel of hand to nose. It could also read attacker drives pointy thing into defender's intercostal space, creating air leak which impairs ventilation.

The remaining photographs would be very different.

There is one basic rule to knifefighting.
Carry a gun.
Old August 25, 2005, 07:52 AM   #77
Eghad

also if white wasnt playing nice she could bend the knife back towards black turn the wrist force the arm back and black gets punctured.

NRA Life Member
Old August 25, 2005, 09:15 AM   #78
Glenn E. Meyer

I'm going to opine that NO TIME is BS - there are two day classes and evening classes. As I have said many times, training is way more important than a gun choice. The gun choice is pure BS as a myriad of quality guns would suffice.

Whether you had:

SW 642
Kahr PM9
Glock 26
SW 39193
Sig 239
Para LDA of some type

or whatever - is a trained person better off with any of these, rather than some untrained person babbling about techy minutia?

If I were truly concerned about my safety I would cut out this gun crap and get training.
Old August 25, 2005, 09:46 AM   #79
PythonGuy

Could not agree with you more Glenn E. Meyer!
Old August 25, 2005, 11:20 AM   #80
CobrayCommando

Should I start a thread discussing techniques of knife combat?
Old August 25, 2005, 11:27 AM   #81
butch50

Quote:
Should I start a thread discussing techniques of knife combat?
On a firearms forum?

‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’ ~ Patrick Henry
Old August 25, 2005, 11:39 AM   #82
CobrayCommando

Give me a break, I suppose you haven't seen the: Whats your favorite scar?, and what do you do if a hitman comes after you posts lately?

Besides a knife integrates with guns, its a tertiary/secondary used as backup or for weapon retention, stuff like that.

But whatever...
Old August 25, 2005, 12:17 PM   #83
butch50

Far be it from me to disuade you, it just sounded strange to me to go into combat knife techniques on a gun forum.

‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’ ~ Patrick Henry
Old August 25, 2005, 12:21 PM   #84
CobrayCommando

Meh your probably right... I've hijacked this thread enough anyway.
Old August 25, 2005, 12:48 PM   #85
spacemanspiff

i'm pretty sure there is an 'all other weapons' subforum here at TFL.
Old August 25, 2005, 02:10 PM   #86
Massan

Think Metal Gear Solid 3, carry a knife and a gun at the same time in the infamous 'CQC' techniques. Though you wont find me carving a notch in my gun anytime soon. (Lil ingame humor)
Old August 26, 2005, 06:46 AM   #87
LAK

I think carrying weapons in addition to firearms including knife makes perfect sense, along with a basic package of skills and planning. The skills and planning should of course be an ongoing developement incorporating new information, ideas etc.

Using a knife in a strictly defensive role need not be complicated; basically stab and/or slash effective target areas. This is not "knife fighting" - dueling with someone else who is also wielding a knife. Rather the defensive employment of a knife should come as a complete (or as near to as possible) surprize to the attacker.

The basic hands on fighting approach for most people is going to be limited to blocks, strikes and shoves etc. Once you venture into the realm of disarming knife wielders etc things are well into the amateur unarmed martial arts which take years to attain any reliably useful proficiency
Old August 26, 2005, 08:56 PM   #88
Ichiro

LAK is right on IMO.

Don't fight. It's not about fighting. Get the heck out of there. If you need so scratch, slash, bite, stab, or shoot to get out, so be it. It's all in the name of getting the heck out of there.

~Ichiro
Old August 27, 2005, 10:35 AM   #89
wayneinFL

alyssa:

Quote:
Well im not going to live somewhere depending on my right to carry a gun, im not gonna let fear keep me from doing what I want with my life, and that includes where I live.
I see your point, but moving somewhere with favorable gun laws isn't letting fear determine where you live.

I won't move into a state with restrictive gun laws, the same as I won't move into a state with an income tax. I won't move anywhere people measure your grass with a tape measure twice a week. I won't move anywhere that won't let me do my brakes in my driveway. I won't move anywhere they bus my kids a half hour away into a high crime inner city area, when there's a good school a mile from my house.

I won't pay taxes to a gov't that restricts my rights. That doesn't make me a coward. Fear isn't motivating me. Maybe a little stubbornness, but not fear.

I suppose if I had a really good job offer I might consider sacrificing my rights to work in California. But it would have to be a whole boatload of money.
Old August 27, 2005, 02:30 PM   #90
R1145

The decision to become trained in firearms is one that will empower you and give you confidence. I think every free citizen should take responsibility for their personal security.

Get some training and go to the range. Shoot different weapons. Learn about what your legal rights are with regard to self-defense.

I think the Browning Pro-9 is a good choice. With 9MM, you really need +P+ loads. I think the 115gr. bullets are best, too.

Good luck. Be brave.
Old August 28, 2005, 09:20 PM   #91
BloodyBucket03

Alyssa, I am glad you made it out your ordeal. Their are a lot of scum bags out in the world. I don't know about the carrying laws in IL or CA. The best place to inquire about that is the local sheriff's office. I'm from PA and in this state a permit is easily acquired at the county courthouse in the county sheriff's office.The background check for the carrying permit is instant and anyone who is 21 and over can try to apply for one. My opinion is the best handgun for a lady is a Model 637 Smith & Wesson revolver, 38 special. I took my younger sister who is 21 to purchase it at my Gun dealer. I have since taken my wife and my mother to the range and fire it. The Smith & Wesson 637 is light easy to use and easy to conceal.
Old September 7, 2005, 08:10 PM   #92
FLA2760

You Did well !

Hi
Sorry to hear of your attack. You did well. This guy had planned to corner someone and he was armed. He did not count on you fighting back. When you get a gun get something at least .380 caliber.without an external safety that can be brought into action fast. I would not discount a good revolver either, at least .38 caliber, Smith & Wesson makes fine wheelguns. I am assuming that you extended your hand toward the attacker when you deployed your mace. You need to learn to deploy your gun ( when you get one) or your mace with your shooting hand held tight to the side of your body. This greatly reduces the chances of your weapon being snatched. This requires practice and I strongly recomend that you get instrucions from a certified range instructor,(NRA). When firing a revolver you can keep the gun tight to your body and use a two handed grip. With the semi auto pistol you need to keep the gun just enough away from your body so the slide can cycle freely. Go to a reputable gun shop and they will be able to assist you. Good luck
Steve
Old September 7, 2005, 09:30 PM   #93
USP45usp

Errr....

I don't know if anyone has noticed but she has made 6 posts (all here) and disapeared after page 3.

I hope that she was genuine, I really hate the fact that women are kept in fear because men think that they are for the taking. That just makes me sick (the only thing that makes me sicker is child rape/molestation).

If she is still around, I just wanted to say that I hope that you have enough to think upon and take the course of action that you feel is the best for you. The folks here only have one concern in relation to your post, that you are okay and that you will remain so with the decision that you chose to make.

Good luck to you in your further endeavers and actions.

Wayne
Old September 7, 2005, 11:12 PM   #94
starbm

Women and Guns

I want to thank everyones comments on women and guns. My boyfriend has taken me to gun safety classes and a class I needed to get my CC. I went to several indoor ranges and practiced shooting with several rentals and decided on a S&W 38 special to use for CC. I purchased a handbag that has a zippered compartment that can be locked if needed. One of the reasons I choose a revolver over a semi-auto was because I could fire the gun without it having to leave my handbag. If I have to I can shoot through the bag. I use a 130 gr load for defense and use standard bullets for practice. Then I practice, practice and practice some more. If 5 well placed 38's can't stop an attacker I'm not sure my odds would be any better carrying a higher caliber gun that I can't keep on my target. I really appreciate all the advice given here. Thanks XavierBreath for the web site addresses.
Old September 8, 2005, 12:56 AM   #95
aspen1964

..first it's good you managed to escape such an incident....remember that if you had a gun instead of a mace can in your hand you might have shot yourself since he grabbed your arm...the sound may have been helpful being heard by someone to check it out though...you ought to write to some politician of your choice and tell them your experience and how state laws helped or hinderd your ability to survive in such an attempted attack and make it strong...if you want to get a gun into action as quick as possible then I would suggest a small revolver, safest, most reliable...if the idea is to repel a close encounter...a 38 special round is plenty(perhaps a +p would give a little more whack to it)...there are many to choose from both new and used...one of my favorites is the Colt detective special..I have shot this found it very satisfactory...of course you need to practice with it...keep distances low..25 yards or less....later if you want try a little farther out...
Old September 8, 2005, 03:22 AM   #96
Lawyer Daggit

Congratulations on the way you handled yourself.

I think I would look at the Smith & Wesson Ladysmith line- they have grips that are well proportioned for the female hand. They offer a very nice revolver & semi auto.

If you are new to shooting I suggest you do a course and join a gun club. Occasional users of guns frighten me in a self defence situation. In that type of situation the human body runs on 'auto pilot' and unless gun handling is second nature to you it is more than likely your gun will be turned against you.

You clearly have the right mental attitude. Well done.
Old September 9, 2005, 09:40 AM   #97
Glenn E. Meyer

We've haven't heard from the initial poster for awhile - so I wonder as to the poster's evaluation of the advice that was given. One would think the initial poster is still reading the thread, you think? Wayne might have hit it.

Old September 10, 2005, 08:07 PM   #98
Dust_Devil

Alyssa,

First let me say I'm sorry you had to go through that ordeal and I'm glad that you are okay.
I just moved from Illinois not too long ago. I hated the fact that they don't let the law-abiding citizen carry a weapon to defend themselves. I now live in Arizona where open carry is legal and concealed carry is legal with a permit.
If you are going to move to CA and feel that you really want to have the right to carry, see if you can move to an area of CA where it is easier to obtain a carry permit. If you really can, consider moving to a state where your rights to carry a firearm isn't infringed. I understand that choosing where you want to live isn't always an option.
As far as choosing a firearm for yourself, go to a gun range that rents out handguns and first ask if you can first hold the gun to get a feel for it to see if it fits your hands and then try it out on the range to see if it is something you would like. If I were you, I start with a 9mm. Perhaps a Glock 19. Powerful enough, yet compact enough for concealed carry or for in a bag or purse.
What part of Illinois are you from anyways? If you live in Chicago ,Evanston Wilmette and a choice of other Chicago bordered cities, you can't even own a handgun.
I am curious about how good those civilian Tasers are. They are legal to buy and carry in Illinois from what I understand and may be a good temporary option to have for protection until you can live someplace better.
Old September 11, 2005, 12:54 AM   #99
Alyssa Marcia

Yes, I still read your suggestions, sorry to disapear after page 3, like i said in a previous post, I have a busy life and dont have time for martial arts training, which is the reasoning behind me wanting to get a firearm to protect myself. After all I did mention I have fired one before, and don't tell me that it takes training, firing a gun is easy.
Old September 11, 2005, 02:15 AM   #100
Powderman

Shooting is easy. Shooting effectively is NOT.

It is indeed very easy to pull the trigger; however, there are many factors to be taken into account; after all, your aim is to hit what you're shooting at. Simply put, you must achieve good sight picture, good sight alignment, proper trigger control--and do all of them at once while you're pulling the trigger.

However, even that is easy compared to the second part of the equation.

Buying a gun is simple, indeed--local laws notwithstanding.

Are YOU ready to use that firearm?

A firearm may only be used when you are in immediate threat of death or serious bodily harm. (Check your local laws for more.)

And, you can not brandish--meaning pulling your gun without intent to shoot.

To put it bluntly, are you ready to kill? To take life to preserve your own? Are you ready to put another human being through intense pain and suffering? Most importantly, can you pull the trigger without questioning yourself--or (as it has been said before) will you hesitate at the moment of truth, when life hangs in the balance?

Do you gamble? Are you ready to make the biggest wager of your life--betting everything you own, your liberty and freedom, your good name, your reputation and your future on about 5 pounds of pressure? You will be doing that if you ever pull the trigger on another human being. Indeed, you might be doing that if you simply pull a gun on another human being.

Before you carry a firearm for protection, do the following:

1. Contact your local prosecutor, and ask them to explain the laws in your jurisdiction concerning the use of deadly force.

2. Contact the attorney of your choice, and ask them how much it costs to successfully defend a case where a shooting is involved.

3. Contact someone who is competent, and is able to offer you proper training in armed self defense. Trust me, there is a world of difference between this and any other type of shooting.

If you do not have time to do this, you should not consider carrying a gun. Forgive me for being blunt, but simply buying a pistol and sticking it in your waistband or purse does not prepare you to defend yourself. Please get some training.