The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 24, 2004, 11:14 AM   #1
Coop de Ville

870 questions again...

First of all, I am very glad to see this board back up again. I had used it almost exclusively for gaining new info.

I have an 870P (20" rifle sight). I have added the speed feed 4 on it (short stocked pistol grip) a Giles tac sling, sidesaddle, and buttcuff shell holder

It's fun to play with although I miss the original plain appearance at times.

I had a few questions about the forcing cone and trigger weight. I would like to take this gun with me for a deer hunt in Ohio and have been practicing with slugs for patterns. Out of the box it has patterned well for me (probably10" or so patterns at 15 or so yards with S&B 12 pellet 00.

I have heard that lengthening the cone will increase this size and am wanting to try it out. My concern was that I heard someone say that doing this will or may throw its slug shooting capabilities ou the window... is this the case? I would like to keep this gun a slug gun first and foremost.

The second question is on the sights... I shoot a marlin lever with bead front and notched rear, so it's not too bad. I was thinking about puting ghost rings on it, if for nothing else, than to increase sight radius. The rifle sights have a handgun-like radius (almost). When sighting in a SG with GRs does one worry about barrel/receiver play that would make shots inconsistent??

I guest the other option would be to get a cantilever and put a holosight on it.

Any other thoughts for improving the 870?

I really like the idea of a large bore rifle that can shoot buck, bird, or flares as simply as dropping a shell in the chamber.

Thanks all and best- Coop
"If chance be the father of all flesh, disaster is his rainbow in the sky. And when you hear a 'state of emergencies, sniper kills ten, troops on rampage, whites go looting, bomb blasts school,' it is but the sound of man , worshipping his maker." - S. Turner
Old May 24, 2004, 03:54 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A longer forcing cone reduces pattern size by reducing deformation.That's a good thing.

My slug shooters have long cones. The worst of them does 3" groups at 50 yards with a bead sight. The best, less than 4" ETE at 100 yards from the bench.

With the two slug 870s with peeps, I sight in, then clean from the muzzle. If I dismount the barrel, the POI drifts a little.

The only improvement I'd suggest on an 870 slug gun would be to get the trigger pull under 4 lbs and clean. It may be there now.

HTH....
Old May 24, 2004, 04:08 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

The 870P Police gun has a factory-installed heavy duty trigger/sear spring, which is why the trigger pull is heavier.

To "fix" it, just order a standard Sporting spring from Brownell's.
Old May 24, 2004, 05:03 PM   #4
Coop de Ville

Thanks for the help.

The trigger on this thing is horrible to say the least. I will certainly check Brownell's for a lighter spring. I will also look into getting the cone done locally.

Thanks, and best- Coop
"If chance be the father of all flesh, disaster is his rainbow in the sky. And when you hear a 'state of emergencies, sniper kills ten, troops on rampage, whites go looting, bomb blasts school,' it is but the sound of man , worshipping his maker." - S. Turner