The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 8, 2012, 04:57 PM   #1
g.willikers

New International Gun Rights Group

Allen Gottlieb, of the Second Amendment Foundation, was on the Guntalk radio show last Sunday.
He was explaining a new organization for the protection of global gun rights, to counter the world wide anti gun groups.
It sounds like something long overdue and much needed.
Here's their web site, for complete info:
http://iapcar.org/?page_id=2
Old May 11, 2012, 09:02 AM   #2
Don P

My viewpoint is, don't we have enough on our plate fighting for our own 2nd amendment rights let alone getting involved with what the rest of the world is doing?????????

Look at all the other countries that have out lawed firearms by its citizens, a lot of 3 rd world cess pools along with Australia, the UK, to just name a few.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old May 13, 2012, 11:39 PM   #3
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
My viewpoint is, don't we have enough on our plate fighting for our own 2nd amendment rights let alone getting involved with what the rest of the world is doing?????????
I understand what you are saying, but at the moment the greatest threat to gun rights is the UN treaty. We are steamrolling the opposition on the domestic front. International treaties, especially self-executing ones are the back door we currently have undefended.
Old May 14, 2012, 09:20 AM   #4
noelf2

Quote:
International treaties, especially self-executing ones are the back door we currently have undefended.
So True!

I was in England visiting relatives recently, and had a discussion with my brother's in law about self protection and gun rights. I was amazed that they believe that nothing would ever be done in the UK to undo the restrictive gun laws there. They don't believe that a collective voice would make a bit of difference, ever. They believe it would take an act of revolt. We are closely allied with Britain (and other EU countries). Pressure will mount, in the future, to become even more closely tied to them in order to protect ourselves from other emerging world powers. Our gun laws could be seen as a potential obstruction to alliances (however illogical). An international group could spread the logic and help people understand that changes to laws don't require extreme measures. Plant the seed and (hopefully) watch it grow. Safety in numbers goes beyond borders for sure.