The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 15, 2006, 07:38 PM   #26
CWO4USCGRET

In my humble opinion

Quote:
Ohio:

ยง 2923.12. Carrying concealed weapons.

(A) No person shall knowingly carry or have, concealed on the person's person or concealed ready at hand, any of the following:
(1) A deadly weapon other than a handgun;
(2) A handgun other than a dangerous ordnance;
(3) A dangerous ordnance.

So, I guess a handgun (with a license) is legal, but my little knife isn't. Someone please tell me if I'm reading this incorrectly.
Have fun, I consider a knife to be a tool, not a weapon! Each jurisdiction is different; always check your local laws.

Back on-topic, I carry generally 24/7. There have been credible threats on my chosen profession, with a bounty offered by some drug dealers. I also usually have a knife (AT Barr Large EDC, AT Barr Folding Guardian, Mickey Yurco Claw Neck Knife, or one or two other customs). I also carry my keys on a Mickey Yurco Braided Lanyard, with 2 ounces of lead in a Kydex Pouch on the end of the lanyard.

I don't advocate breaking any laws; if your local laws say, need a permit...and you decide to carry a knife concealed, saying "So I can defend myself from an assailant" is usually (admissible in court) an invitation to a concealed weapons charge. Because you use it at work has a certain legitimacy to it...
Old June 15, 2006, 07:58 PM   #27
Maser

I usually carry my fishing knife or bowie knife on me whenever I go out. I'm 16 and have no CCW permit (obviously), but the local LEOs here in my town say as long as I keep it sheathed and visible on my belt or belt loops then I wont get in trouble at all. They even made a joke saying that no one would try to bug me if they see a 15" blade sheathed clearly visible.

Now as far as carrying a gun. When I get my CCW permit I plan on getting a holster and NOT keeping the gun in my pocket. Too many things can go wrong such as the hammer getting caught on something.
Old June 16, 2006, 08:36 AM   #28
Samurai

Like I mentioned earlier, most places, carrying a "weapon" is all about "intent." With guns, it's always presumed that you intend to carry it as a weapon. So, you've pretty much got to have a permit to carry a gun. (You can come into court and explain that the gun was unloaded, you were only transporting it, etc... But who wants to go through all that hassle?)

With knives, the line gets REALLY blurred when people carry it for "multiple purposes." Most states have length limitations, wherein if you carry a knife longer than the designated length, it is always presumed that you carry "with intent to go armed." But, it sounds like with Maser's jurisdiction, the key is "concealed." Some jurisdictions only prohibit the "concealed" carrying of weapons. Some other jurisdictions establish that if you conceal it, you intend to carry it with intent to go armed.

With knives, a good trick to remember is: Don't be a jerk. Most cops carry pocketknives. Most cops do not consider carrying a pocketknife to be a crime. So, as long as you are not "brandishing" a knife, i.e., waving it around and making people afraid of you, you should be ok.

And, if a cop stops you on the street, don't go reaching for it. That ALWAYS ends poorly.

FYI, here in Tennessee, I'm pretty sure the rule is a presumption to go armed when carrying longer than a 4" blade length. I can't, for the life of me, determine whether TN has a "fixed blade" law, limiting us to folding knives only.