The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 28, 2005, 06:14 PM   #1
kingudaroad

nosler ct ballistic silvertip

I noticed these in my nosler manual. I was thinking about them for my 270 in 130 gr. Does anyone have any experience with these bullets? I'm using regular ballistic tips with great results right now, but these black coated bullets sure look cool! http://www.nosler.com/ballsilvertip.html
Old July 12, 2012, 08:08 AM   #2
smokey 13

I have loaded some of these bullets. Here is my recipe
Now I haven't had a chance to hunt with them but do plan to give them a try this year.

I have a savage 110 270
Imr 4320 47 gr. Nosler ct ballistic tip 130 gr cci 200 primer fed casings
This load shoots 3/4 inch groups @ 200 yards

I tried this same load with fed 210 primer and the groups @ 200 yards was 1.75. So changing the primer made a difference in my gun.
Old October 2, 2012, 02:31 PM   #3
smokey 13

OK I have done some hunting with these nosler silvertip bullets. Shot doe few weeks ago and she fell dead in her tracks. Had broad side shot and hit little high but bullet expanded very well nicked back bone cut it in half and then exited out other side of deer. I have only shot one deer with this bullet so far but couldn't be more satisfied with this bullet. As far as the moly coating goes I have shot some factory federal power shock and they grouped the exact same they did before I shot silvertip bullets. Hopefully I can kill another one here shortly and I will shed more light on these bullets for anyone wanting to know little bit about them
Old October 2, 2012, 07:34 PM   #4
603Country

I'm sure it shoots and hits just like the standard Nosler Ballistic Tip. That's a very accurate and deadly bullet and I've shot a couple hundred deer with the 130 grain in my 270. It opens up fast, and some folks don't like that, but I'm fine with it. Just understand the limitations of the bullet, which are mostly in the area of: don't shoot through big bones, avoid rear quartering shots, and perhaps avoid shooting anything bigger than whitetail or mule deer. For years it has had the reputation of being the most accurate hunting bullet on the market, but knowledgable people write that Berger now has that honor.
Old October 2, 2012, 09:05 PM   #5
NWPilgrim

I believe the CT version has a thicker jacket at the base than the regular BT.

http://www.nosler.com/Downloads/2011-Catalog.pdf
Old October 2, 2012, 10:42 PM   #6
603Country

Looks like the same construction on both the BT and the ST. Nosler used to have the same construction on hunting and varmint ballistic tips, but (due to complaints) made the back 40% or so of the bullet cup wall thickness on hunting bullets a good bit heavier. I used that bullet before and after the change in construction and I really never saw any positive evidence of a difference in performance. I think the Ballistic Silvertip has the same heavied up cup, but just has a different colored plastic tip and a coat of moly (or something else). Doesn't matter much, since either one is a fine bullet for whitetail.
Old October 2, 2012, 11:28 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

They are a stellar performer in .30-06.

I decided to try them in .270 Win, as well. ....and that was a big mistake. A rifle that had previously printed its worst group ever at just under 4" slung the best group of 130 gr CT BSTs into a nasty 8+ inch group. I went through 250 of them, just hoping I could find a way to make them work (definition of insanity, I know). But, I never did.

I passed the remaining bullets on to one of my brothers. He had the same problems: A rifle that shot great with anything you fed it, suddenly went to crap with the CT BSTs.

So, he passed them on to a third brother. He hasn't tried very many (maybe 10), but appears to be getting the same results we did.

I'll shoot them all day in .30-06, but I haven't found a way to make them work in .270 Win.

Quote:
I think the Ballistic Silvertip has the same heavied up cup, but just has a different colored plastic tip and a coat of moly (or something else).
It's not a moly coating.
It's an oxide coating that Nosler and Winchester (owner) refer to as "Lubalox"(®).
It's the same thing Olin (Winchester) used on the Black Talons, Fail Safes, and a few other bullets.
Old October 7, 2012, 09:22 PM   #8
smokey 13

OK I wanted to give one more input in these bullets. Shot 2nd deer with them so far. I have been nothing but highly impressed with performance of this bullet. The first deer I shot a little higher than I wanted but the second was a perfect double lung shot. Both deer have fell in there tracks. Both bullets have exited and had plenty of expansion. I agree on not using this bullet in anything bigger than deer size game. Hope someone will find this review helpful. Comparing this bullet to the factory federal power shock that my gun loves this bullet expanded way better and I didn't have to track down the deer after the shot with same bullet placement. My load again just in case someone wants to give them a try is
47gr imr4320
nosler CT 130 grain
Federal brass
Cci200 primer
Trim length 2530
Oal 3261