The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 3, 2011, 04:27 AM   #1
PunchinPaper

Inexpensive Long Range Optics ?

I am looking for a quality inexpensive Mil-Dot Scope.
If that is possible..
It will be used for hunting and rangeing targets/game.
I am new to mil dot scopes, but have a fairly decent understanding of how they operate. I doubt I will ever use it for 1000yrd shots, but I would like to have the ability to range and take game at long distances if needed.
This scope will probably sit on a Savage 30-06 or 308.
What I am looking for ideally is a good,clear, zero holding Mil-Dot scope thats inexpensive but not cheap/junk!
Does anyone know where to buy one that fits the bill?
Old September 3, 2011, 05:37 AM   #2
Double Naught Spy

What do you consider long range? What sort of mangification do you need? Fixed or variable?

For actual longer ranges, 300+ yards, I would say that you won't likely find anything that will be appropriate.

The notion of "long range and quality" are mostly exclusive from "inexpensive." My guess is that you will get a few suggestions for scopes that will fit your desription, but the quality will be hit or miss when you queck the reviews.
Old September 3, 2011, 06:46 AM   #3
kraigwy

Try this one, Weaver Tactical Grand Slam Rifle Scope 3-10x 40mm

On sale now for $299 at Midway USA. It's a mil dot scope.

Weaver makes some great quality scopes for the price. The 10X will get you out there. I've used a 10X (T-10) for 1000 yard shooting for years and never felt I needed more power.

I found anything higher to pick up too much mirage and heat off the barrel.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=598484
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 3, 2011, 06:50 AM   #4
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I am looking for a quality inexpensive Mil-Dot Scope.
There are some decent lower priced scopes out there. For example, I've got a Bushnell Banner 6x18 50mm that is priced under $200. It isn't Mil-Dot but in my experience, the lenses are clear, it pulls in a lot of light and holds zero.
Old September 3, 2011, 07:07 AM   #5
PawPaw

We use Swift Optics scopes for mid-range shooting. It's a line that not many people know, but those who know it like it a lot. For some reason we've gravitated toward the 6X18X44 and have a half-dozen in the family. They're rugged, dependable scopes at a friendly price-point. I'm not saying that it's the same quality as a Nightforce, but it's a damned fine scope for the money. My son and I were discussing that scope the other night and we agree that it is perfectly acceptable for 600 yards, but we both think that it's not quite suited to shooting beyond that range. If you haven't looked at Swift scopes, give them a look. I think you'll be surprised.

Another sleeper in the low-end scope market is the Simmons Whitetail Classic scope. We've got a couple of these in the family and it's a heck of a deal on a low-end scope. Midway USA has them on sale fairly regularly and I see that today it's on sale at $124.99. My second son has one on a Model 111FV in 7mm Rem Mag. That scope has been on his rifle for six or seven years and it is holding up well. I've got one on a Model 10 in .243 and really like that scope for what it is. Again, it's not a Zeiss or a US Optics, but it's a damned fine bargain scope that is serving us well.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old September 3, 2011, 10:38 AM   #6
PunchinPaper

Thanks guys!
I'm not sure what power would be best for my applications.
My long range = 500-600yrds
But it would be nice to have optics that could be used for further shots.
Although I highly doubt I would ever take shots any further than the above distance. I know quality and inexpensive may be asking alot,I am looking for a decent compromise. I would never hear the end if I brought home a $1000 scope or even anywhere near it.
Old September 3, 2011, 11:23 AM   #7
Jimro

Below are two variable power scopes and two fixed power scopes. They all go for right around three hundred bucks. There are other options, but these are the ones that I recommend.

Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40
Weavert Tactical 3-10x40
SWFA Super Sniper 10x42
Nikon Buckmaster 4-14x40

The Bushnell and Weaver are "mil/mil" style scopes while the Super Sniper and Buckmaster are 1/4 MOA adjustments with mil reticle.

Other folks have gone with Millett or Hawke, but I can't say anything first hand about their quality. If you buy a Millett from SWFA they are usually a good company to deal with. http://swfa.com/Millett-4-16x50-TRS-...pe-P42548.aspx

Jimro