The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 28, 2010, 05:39 AM   #1
Carlo

Is anyone using a 6" for home defence?

My defensive revover is a 4" 686, I bought it when I was 19 and, in my mind, it had to be of "service" type. With time and experience, I came to the conclusion that a 6" .38 or .357 would serve me just as well, if not better.
Now, we do have a silly rule: 6" revolvers are classed as "sport revolvers" and you're not supposed to use one to defend yourself, but this usually applies to carrying one, rather than using one in your own home. I shoot better with a 6" with less effort on sight alignment, I guess this is the real pro of for me, rather than greater muzzle velocity. I think a K-38 masterpiece with a narrow and smooth trigger for DA work would be a real honey.

Last edited by Carlo; October 28, 2010 at 05:55 AM.
Old October 28, 2010, 05:57 AM   #2
spacecoast

The 4" or shorter barrel is generally speaking lighter, easier to handle and more difficult to grab and wrest away from you, but the 6" will work just fine, keeping those factors in mind. At HD distances you won't be too worried about sight alignment, but use what you have confidence with and what works best for you. One of my HD guns is a 6" 686.
Old October 28, 2010, 06:09 AM   #3
Carlo

I somehow suspect becoming slightly presbyopic has to do with this. I can shoot a 4", but with a 6" I manage head shots at 12 meters with no effort and this gives me a sense of security. Also, comparing my 4" 686 with a full lug 6" K 14, I don't find the former more controllable than the latter, with .38 special rounds. I think the slightly higher bore plan of the 686 and the shorter barrel eat up the advantage given by mass. I'm not sending the 686 to retirement yet, though.
Old October 28, 2010, 06:12 AM   #4
spacecoast

Recoil is minimized by the full lug 6" barrel, but in a HD situation you won't be noticing recoil, you will be more concerned about defending yourself. Sounds like you are well prepared either way.

Wish I had a full lug 6" Model 14 for target shooting, sounds like a nice revolver. Not very common and pricey.
Old October 28, 2010, 06:52 AM   #5
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Now, we do have a silly rule: 6" revolvers are classed as "sport revolvers" and you're not supposed to use one to defend yourself, but this usually applies to carrying one, rather than using one in your own home.
I've no objections to using a 6" .357 for HD and in fact use one myself. I really doubt that a 2" difference in barrel length will, one way or the way, cause you to live, or die, in a HD situation.

In my view, the best HD gun is one that you are comfortable and is reliable.
Old October 28, 2010, 07:57 AM   #6
Standing Wolf
Member in memoriam

One of my home defense .44 magnums has a 6.5-inch barrel. A five-inch barrel would probably be handier, but those have been extinct for years.
Old October 28, 2010, 10:40 AM   #7
jglsprings

I wasn't aware of any six inch rule on weapons. And I'm darn sure not one to follow "the rules" when it comes to a gunfight. I'll use what ever I shoot best or have on hand. If a six incher works for you - more power to you.

Don't let the internet, or "them", influence you too much.

Commas save lives...
Old October 28, 2010, 11:05 AM   #8
mikejonestkd

I have ready access to a smith 28 and a ruger gp 100 that have 6" tubes, and they would work just fine in a HD situation.
Old October 28, 2010, 12:17 PM   #9
DMK

Does that 6" rule basically make it illegal to carry outside your home for self defense? You have to wonder where governments come up with the arbitrary regulations. They often have no connection with any reality outside the laws imposed on us.

Anyway, I have a 6" Model 28 that I love. The big N frame tames most SD 357 loads nicely. It's probably the centerfire handgun that I shoot the best. I keep it handy at home and have no qualms about its utility for defense. However, I find it awkward to carry in a hip holster. The long barrel hits the seat when sitting and sticks out under any jackets I wear when I attempt to carry concealed. I have another Model 28 that I probably will get shortened to a 3" or 4" due to these shortcomings of the longer barrel. In the mean time I carry my 2" barreled SP101 or S&W 642 when away from home.
Old October 28, 2010, 12:28 PM   #10
aarondhgraham

Wouldn't be my first choice,,,

But there is nothing wrong with it either,,,
That "law" about 6" being for target or hunting is not immutable.

Use what you have and like.

One of my favorite six-shooters is my Colt Trooper Mk III with a 4" barrel,,,
It goes to the range with me but is also my bedside gun,,,
I would happily trade it for a 6" version.

I would like the increased target/hunting capability a 6" barrel would give me,,,
I do not believe the added barrel length would make it less effective for home defense.

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old October 28, 2010, 01:47 PM   #11
Carlo

Sorry guys, I forgot to mention that 6" revolver = sport gun and you cannot carry it for self defence in Italy. I guess the rest of the world is far wiser than we are.
Old October 28, 2010, 01:55 PM   #12
Big Bill

I use my 6" S&W 28-2 for home defense. It's the BOMB!

There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old October 28, 2010, 02:05 PM   #13
jglsprings

You mean, in Italy, you actually are ~NOT ALLOWED~ to carry a pistol with a 6" barrel concealed or otherwise? WOW! Learn something new everyday.

I used to have a shoulder holster to carry this Model 19 under a sports coat. It certainly wasn't ideal but it is doable.

It guarded the house for years and years before It could afford other options.

Commas save lives...

Last edited by jglsprings; October 28, 2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old October 28, 2010, 02:05 PM   #14
dogngun

Not right now, but I have used several from time to time...

at least 2 Ruger Security Six .357's, several S&W's, mostly 2 or 3 Model 19's, one Model 10 and one Model 14.
Forgot - also had a 6" S&W Highway Patrolman for a while, too.

I did not consider it to be any sort of problem. I even carried most of them from time to time, but never in Italy.

mark
Old October 28, 2010, 02:10 PM   #15
FoxtrotRomeo

I use a 12 gauge for HD. That's my primary.

If I were to decide to use a wheelgun for HD. It would be this sweet baby. Yes it is mine. I'd use it with .45 Colt too. No reason to go deaf for certain.

http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...urrent=1_1.jpg

So much for recoil.
"The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly." - Albert Einstein]
Old October 28, 2010, 03:34 PM   #16
DMK

DMK drools over the model 19 pic.

I always loved those guns.
Old October 28, 2010, 03:44 PM   #17
Ideal Tool

6" for home defense?

Colt 71/2" S.A.A. .45. Iffe'n twas good enuff fer Wyatt & Bat...Tis good enuf fer me!
Old October 28, 2010, 05:17 PM   #18
shafter

There's absolutely no reason why it wouldn't be a great choice. I don't believe all that crab about it being grabbed away from you. If he's that close just whack him over the head
Old October 28, 2010, 05:24 PM   #19
kingwc

I use the 6" 28-2 Highway Patrolman shown here or my 4" model 19-4. There is a certain intimidation factor when your holding a large frame 6" revolver
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PA198655.jpg (107.1 KB, 49 views)
Old October 28, 2010, 06:10 PM   #20
Deegle

My 6" 686 is my primary HD gun. I like a revolver for HD because I have kids rooms to worry about and I don't have to e concerned about it cycling frangible ammo reliably or not. The M&P40 and the Rem. 870 18" back up the 686. I shoot the 686 so well, it inspires confidence in relying on it as a primary HD gun, even with the extra length and weight.
Old October 28, 2010, 06:16 PM   #21
TenRing

I see no problem with a 6" revolver for home defense although a shorter gun would be handier and easier to conceal. It will likely improve your accuracy if you need to make a tight shot. I have a 6" Taurus 66 that I bought 20-some years ago when I couldn't easily afford the Smith & Wesson. Many times I wished I had ponied up the additional $300 to buy the Smith but $300 seemed like a lot of money to me back then.

I have since afforded much more expensive guns but I can't find a good reason to get rid of the Taurus. I don't think I've ever shot a more accurate handgun and it comes in handy as part of my home defense system. It's also the gun that I stow away in the RV when camping or hunting.
Old October 28, 2010, 09:06 PM   #22
FairWarning

My numero uno for home defense is my handy Mossberg 500 12 GA.

But my 686/6" is never far away either. In fact, it makes .38 Special +P and +P+ considerably stouter options without being in the "go straight to DEAF" category since during a break-in you wouldn't wear hearing protection!
Old October 28, 2010, 09:19 PM   #23
Rocked

If you really want to call it a backup, I have a 6" m29 ready to go, but my go to gun in the night would be 4" m66.
Old October 29, 2010, 11:41 AM   #24
Carlo

Wow Big Bill and Kingwc, yours are really nice sixguns!
Old October 29, 2010, 01:04 PM   #25
Big Bill

I also have a Colt Trooper Mark III 6" that I trade off with my S&W.

There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr