The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 8, 2013, 01:54 PM   #1
randy45

Danish Krag Model 1889 (1906)

I just picked up my first Danish Krag this last weekend.....Model '89 made in 1906....no import marks...there is some rust and pitting on the barrel and most of the bluing is gone...but you don't run across these rifles to often in Austin Texas so I had to pick it up.....any insights in how to clean it up without damaging it would be helpful and since this is my first Krag any info would be helpful..such as proof markings, etc....I did notice it seems to be all matching serial numbers on the rear sight, barrel, receiver, stock, bolt, bolt assembly, magazine assembly like I said any info would be greatly appreciated...learning about this stuff is almost as fun as being able to take it out and shoot it...

wish it had a cleaning rod and bayonet but oh well can't have everything.. it is 8x58R rimmmed (Danish) apparently an obsolete caliber only place I can find ammo is Buffalo Arms for sixty bucks a box of 20....
Old February 8, 2013, 04:29 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I would recommend stripping it and cleaning the parts. It is not a hard rifle to work on, being much like the U.S. Krag.

Don't use any harsh abrasive, only cloth, copper wool, and a good cleaner. (I like G-96 Gun Treatment for that.)

Remove the barrel shroud and clean underneath, then use RIG or some other good grease to preserve the barrel for another 100+ years. That was the first mass production Krag, and it is interesting to compare it with the U.S. and Norwegian Krags (which if you don't have, you now have to get or the Krag bug won't let you rest).

Jim
Old February 9, 2013, 08:56 AM   #3
madcratebuilder

Quote:
learning about this stuff is almost as fun as being able to take it out and shoot it...
+1000

Lot of history to learn with these old mil-surps.

I would clean your metal with 0000 steel wool and Eezox. The Eezox cuts rust better than anything I have used in fifty years. Go light with the elbow grease and you should have a very nice patina when done.

This started off rusted with some light pitting.
Old February 9, 2013, 06:06 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

In contrast to the relatively weak .30-40 Krag and the single locking lug on the U.S. Krag, the 8x58 Danish Krag cartridge is a stomper, fully equivalent to the German 7.9 x 57. The Danish Krag, like the Norwegian, has two bearing lugs,

Jim
Old March 7, 2013, 06:33 PM   #5
brinker

1889 Krag

Hi Randy: on the ammo you may want to give Wisconsin Ammo a try. I get my 30-40 krag for 116.00 per 100/150 grain. and 00 steelwool dipped in Hoppies, it takes a little more elbow grease but what blueing is there will stay. also midway has a 8or6 ounce can of (kano/koile), it's a little tougher than hoppies and will do a nice job on the bore. Good luck with your Krag. Shoot safe and shoot clean Sunny
Old March 8, 2013, 08:28 PM   #6
m&p45acp10+1

I am not sure I would use steel wool. Slother the metal well with Break Free, and let it sit over night. Wipe it with a clean patches. Repeat a few times. Many would be amazed at what doing that will get done.
Old March 9, 2013, 08:35 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

As I mentioned above, I recommend copper wool (made for cleaning pots) over steel wool. The copper won't scratch steel.

As to ammo, that Danish rifle is not chambered for .30-40 Krag and ammo is nearly impossible to find. 8x58R cases can be formed from one of the "universal" cases with the same base diameter as the .45-70 (.45-70 cases themselves are too short).

Jim