The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 1, 2002, 04:16 PM   #1
pahrumpcaveman

Sear parts seem soft on SKS

I bought a Wolff spring kit for my SKS and while I had it apart I thought I would try to do some minor smithing . I used a file to smooth out the sear surfaces and to take some material off the end so as to eliminate some creep . The polished the surfaces with a wet stone . The metal seems pretty soft and was so from the beginning ( not like I filed through a hardened surface )wondering if I should use some Kasinit to harden the matting surfaces . Any thoughts ?
Old December 2, 2002, 12:02 AM   #2
Badger Arms

IIRC, I had the same experience trying to do the same thing to an SKS about 10 years ago. You can try degreasing the part, heating it until it's red, and then dropping it quickly into a metal cup of motor oil (might catch fire). This could make the part brittle, but should make it hard also. I'd suggest you do this after you do the trigger job. The part is fairly cheap if you mess up. Don't do this to the hammer, though, to avoid breaking it due to embrittlement.
Old December 2, 2002, 08:58 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Kasenite would work for this. Badger's method will as well but I would draw it to 460deg to temper. George
Old December 2, 2002, 11:12 AM   #4
pahrumpcaveman

George . You mean just heat it to 460 then drop in water ?
Old December 2, 2002, 11:08 PM   #5
Badger Arms

I usually use Oil. Don't know why, it's just what I was taught. The way I heat the part, BTW, is to set it on my electric stove element and let the whole thing heat up red hot. Don't know what the temperature is. Here's a guide:

http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~chrish/t-ht.htm
Old December 3, 2002, 08:00 AM   #6
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

I too use an oil quench. Basically when heat treating small parts I heat to 1450, quench in 5W or 10W motor oil. Then heat again to whatever temperature is required for tempering that particular item and quench again. I don't trust my eyes to tell yellow from pale yellow from straw yellow etc so I use Templac. It comes in different degree grades and liquifies as soon as the target temperature is reached. George
Old December 3, 2002, 09:01 AM   #7
pahrumpcaveman

George , So in this instance you would heat to 1450 ,quench, then heat to 460 and quench again . Heating to 460 should produce a light blue color and a Vickers of the mid to high 500's I assume . Thanks for your help PS. Badger , Thanks for the cool link . I love the internet !