The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 17, 2002, 11:39 PM   #1
BudS

Air Rifle hop-up?

I've got a .177 cal. Chinese air rifle, obtained at a local gun show a couple of years ago, NIB for $30. Unsure of the make, but even the booklet says, "Made in Shanhai, China"; I cannot interpret the Chinese characters! Needless to say, I've shot about 200 pellets through it & it's pretty accurate.

The question is, is it worth the trouble to "hop up" these air rifles for higher FPS velocities? It'd make a good, quiet squirrel gun, even while deer season is in full swing.

Has anyone else played with these rifles? Thanks!
Old November 19, 2002, 01:25 AM   #2
Guy L Johnson

Air Rifle Performance

1. As a general rule most spring piston airguns preform best at around 800 fps much faster and consistancy goes down the tubes.

2. Most Chinese guns I have seen are knock off or the RWS line maybe some parts are interchangable dont know.

3. Asuming that it is a break barel type ther are only a few things you can do to change the velocity the most common method is shoot a lighter pellet next is change the spring also dee what type of seal is arround the piston and the one on the barrel that seals around the pressure port check its condition and type of rubber replace as necessary.

5. Accuracy check that at the pivot point you have
a minimum amount of play and that the stock is securly mounted to the gun. and that ALL assymbly screws are tight.

6. WARNING that spring is 2 to 3 times longer that it is at its fully extended length in the gun and it can get ya if it escapes during disasymbly it is made of heavy gauge tempered steel and could put a hurting on you.

7. Some earlier Chinese guns have very poor machining in the cylinder area and if this is the case polishing the cylinder wont hurt and as an aditional precaution when you reasymble the gun dont use any petrolum based oil only air gun specific lube like Beeman or RWS type products the are less likely to turn the seals to mush.

Guy L Johnson
Old November 19, 2002, 08:01 AM   #3
sleeping dog

I have one of the cheap Chinese spring-operated pellet guns. I think mine is a "3B1" model. It doesn't use the barrel to cock with, there's a rod under the barrel that cocks it.

It's fairly accurate, but the trigger is pretty bad.

I used it to dispatch one pesky squirrel, about a 15 foot shot, inside the house .

Regards.
Old November 19, 2002, 06:19 PM   #4
dfaugh

I have

what i believe is same as you all are describing...Velocity is HIGH, as is noise level (sounds like CB cap ina.22).. trigger is truly abysmal, gotta try and fix...Not accurate (w/ scope) but haven't tried anythign like real serious accuracy test

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old November 21, 2002, 12:18 AM   #5
BudS

Yes, mine is a....

....B3-1 also, sleeping dog. Trigger is somewhat hard, but I may try to polish things up a bit. Guy, where could one get replacement parts, i.e. seals & (upgrade) springs? Yes, this is the under-barrel cocking lever type, requiring only one pump to activate it. Are these copies of Beeman, RWS or other air rifles? Where is a good site to get parts/schematics/tech info?

Mine is a really good looking one, nice stock, polished metal, a decent-looking product. I was surprised for the price. It also came with 200 flat-nosed pellets, which really sucked for accuracy. I bought some pointed nose "game pellets" which improved accuracy greatly. The book just says use oil, and to lube it, I use Lucas gun oil; it works very well & doesn't dry out or wash away. Also, doesn't seem to hurt the seals, but increases accuracy!

If nothing else, I'll get a 3X-7X scope ($20 locally) and try it out. Most likely will also paint the open sights. Even with the gritty trigger, at 15 yards, I put the pointed pellets in a pattern about half-dollar size I still (and always will need) practice I'd rather practice with 200 pellets, then shoot the .22 and larger caliber rifles less, saving ammo (although .22 is cheap enough). Some neighbors tend to get too concerned & I've had to call the cops enough myself for disorderlies- I don't want to be painted as one myself!

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!!!!
Old November 21, 2002, 09:45 PM   #6
BudS

Posted in The Hunt...

My wife gave me my latest issue of Major Surplus & Survival catalog last night after I posted. The have the B3-1 air rifle for $39.95 & at 575 f.p.s., it's a little hotter than the 525 f.p.s. Beeman they advertise on the same page. Plus: the advertise a special on parts repair & cleaning kits for the B3-1 for $8.95. Think I'll get a couple!

www.MajorSurplusNSurvival.com
Old November 21, 2002, 11:40 PM   #7
Kernel

Location: Madison, WI.... "78 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Bud,

Start your search here: Chinese Airgun Fourm - tunes, mods, talk, reviews, links, etc. Make sure you check out the Tech Info page. There's one there on tuning the B3. Should be exactly what you're looking for. -- Kernel

— Anonymous A-10 Pilot, USAF
Old November 22, 2002, 08:43 PM   #8
BudS

Kernal

Does the info on the XS B3-1 pertain to the plain ol' B3-1? I see the XS has a folding stock & is an AK similator....Thanks.
Old November 25, 2002, 08:12 PM   #9
TERRY8mm

hop-up

You could always diesel it!
Of course that is a no/no!
BUT. IT'S FUN!!!
Old November 26, 2002, 07:01 AM   #10
sleeping dog

I think mine has finally stopped dieseling. No bang, no puff of smoke.

I looked at some of the sites linked in this discussion, but didn't see any instructions on how to disassemble and reassemble this B3-1. Are there any instructions like that online?

Regards.
Old November 26, 2002, 10:44 AM   #11
TERRY8mm

chicom air rifles

I got 2 of these as boot on a rifle trade. I couldn't find anything on them, as far as tech info.

They actually shoot very well, 1 of the 2 is the "sit behind the back door rifle". I have a max 30 yd. "field of fire" under the night light and can hit ping pong balls every shot anywhere in the area.