The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 13, 2010, 09:55 AM   #26
apr1775

Reaming out a welded chamber would be unpredictable and likely result in a sloppy chamber. The rifle in question would most likely be fine with a new barrel, but then there is the issue of cost to re-barrel against cost of a ready to shoot rifle.
Old May 14, 2010, 10:59 AM   #27
SVO

I would have to question why was the gun demil'd in the first place.
Old May 14, 2010, 12:19 PM   #28
taylorce1

I was looking at a rifle like the OP's at one time just because it was an action I had been wanting for quite awhile. Why it had the chamber welded with a DEWAT rod is beyond me because is was a HVA commercial small ring action. Sure it was marked on the barrel as 8X57 and the only thing I could think of is some European countries frown on any civilian owning a rifle chambered in a military cartridge.

If you do purchase this rifle realize it is a parts gun only or you will have to rebarrel the rifle. However if you rebarrel it would be a good idea to send the receiver off for a new heat treat at someplace like Pac-Met. That was what my gunsmith told me I would need to do if he worked on it. I was looking at $250 for the complete rifle and that just didn't make it worth the time or effort for me, by the time I added up all the extra costs.
Old May 14, 2010, 03:01 PM   #29
Gunplummer

During the 1968 mess with all the new laws, a lot of rifles were rendered inoperable so they could be sold. Could be a result of that or what you said.