The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 25, 2002, 10:14 PM   #1
m16a2223

Sako .243 bolt is locked

Last year while hunting, My son fired my wifes Sako forester and now the bolt will not open. just factory Winchester ammo. The handle wont even come up. What could be the problem?
Old November 25, 2002, 11:11 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Something is missing here. You mean he fired the rifle last year, and you are just now getting around to opening the bolt to extract the fired case?

Or are you saying that the rifle worked OK before and after the hunting trip but after being stored for a year the bolt will not open?

If the former, shame on you. If the latter, I suspect that during the hunting trip he got some moisture or even blood on the rifle and the bolt is rusted shut. First, make sure it is not something simple, like the safety being on and locking the bolt.

Then, if that is not the case, remove the action from the stock and soak the bolt and action it with a good penetrant for a day or so. Use a block of wood to try to hammer the bolt up and open. Use moderate force and I think it will open.

Jim
Old November 25, 2002, 11:48 PM   #3
m16a2223

What I mean is; after the gun was fired, the bolt would not open....period......gun is clean, no rust.
Old November 26, 2002, 04:15 PM   #4
11xray

It sounds to me like a case head failure.

Take it to a gunsmith, and be prepared for the worst: that rifle may be headed for the trash pile.
Old November 26, 2002, 05:16 PM   #5
DeBee

Does sound bad.

I urge you to take a fine rifle like that to a gunsmith if you are uncomfortable beating on it- give a detailed description of what happened and when- hope for the best...

Probably can be saved...

Keep us posted.
Old November 26, 2002, 06:53 PM   #6
11xray

If you do manage to get the bolt open using Jim's advice above, you still need to take it to a gunsmith to have it checked for damage and correct headspace, and possibly have it magna-fluxed for cracks.

Something is seriously wrong when a rifle will not open after firing a round.

There are safety issues here.

This is definitely a case for the local gunsmith.

Good Luck