The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 23, 2013, 07:47 PM   #1
Dreaming100Straight

Break action auto loader

What is the make and model of the single barrel shotgun that holds a second shotshell on the right side of the action, which is automatically chambred when the first shot is taken?
Old July 23, 2013, 07:48 PM   #2
BigD_in_FL

added

Beretta UGB 25 Excel, now available for half of original retail at about $2000

Got to shoot one when they first came out - VERY soft shooter, as a LH, nice not having empties flying across your face, heavy, but swung nicely; basically designed for the Euro market
Old July 23, 2013, 08:12 PM   #3
Dreaming100Straight

Thought you would know. I shot one Saturday. One ouncers and it sported a Gracoil. Zero felt recoil. Owner said the problem with it is that some loads will not cycle it.
Old July 23, 2013, 09:35 PM   #4
BigD_in_FL

It was designed as a bunker trap gun. In Europe, there is a concern about safety, so guns need to be easily visible - by making it a break action, Beretta addressed that issue. By making it a gas semi, they addressed the recoil issues of bunker loads, pigeon/helice loads and other that are running very fast. It never really caught on here in the US, but it is a VERY well made gun, decently balanced, good handling, and now running at $2K versus $4K. With Benellis running about $2500, and Beretta gas guns running close to $1800, this might not be that bad of a deal at $2K

As a reasonably heavy gun about 8.25#, and a gas action AND a Gracoil, I could see where some ultra-light loads might have an issue
Old July 24, 2013, 11:07 AM   #5
BigJimP

The UGB has been dropped from the current Beretta catalog...( just checked it online again ) and its not there either...

There are only a couple of them in my area showing up on the sporting clays courses.../ and I've been able to put a few shells thru them as well, while I liked them, and they were unique -- I never did buy one..

I'm still very happy with my Benelli SuperSport models ( inertia guns / with synthetic stocks and comfort tech system in them )...in fact I was shooting the 12ga at Skeet yesterday because my rebuilt shoulder was hurting yesterday and I couldn't swing an 8.5 lb over under without a lot of pain.../ so I don't know if I'd take a risk on that UGB or not - even if it is down to around $2k these days.../ I think the Super Sport might be a smarter buy these days at around $ 1,800 ...or maybe one of the other Beretta gas guns.
Old July 26, 2013, 10:10 AM   #6
g.willikers

Here's a description of this uniquely designed shotgun:
http://www.berettaweb.com/Beretta%20...ta_ugb25_1.htm
Old July 26, 2013, 05:16 PM   #7
BigG

How is that different from the old Browning Double Automatic? I remember that was a two shot autoloader, also.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old July 26, 2013, 06:16 PM   #8
BigD_in_FL

The Beretta breaks open like an O/U