The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Closed Thread

Old March 14, 2011, 10:58 AM   #26
maillemaker

Hi folks. Sorry to hear about your gun problems. Here is what I have started doing to deal with customer service issues:

In today's corporate environment, you are wasting your time working your way from the bottom up. If you work from the bottom up, you will be starting out with the lowest-paid, lowest-motivated employees at the company. These people are nothing but functionaries - all they can do is follow a script, and they never have any authority to actually help a customer except with the most trivial of problems.

You will end up simply working your way up the chain of command, having to tell your same story to a new person each time you are transferred. And even then, you will likely come across the brick wall of "sorry, we can't help you".

Instead, for all customer service issues of serious nature, I now work from the top down. For whatever company you are dealing with, do a Google search on the company name plus the word "CEO" or "President" or "Owner". Find out who the top person is in the company. If you are lucky, you will find their email address. If not, start guessing at it. The usual convention for email addresses is [email protected], or [email protected].

Write a very polite, very short letter to this person, explaining your problem. Apologize for contacting him directly, but explain that the customer service people are not empowered to help customers and ask if they could forward your email on to someone with the authority to help you. Concisely explain what your problem is and what resolution you want to see.

It is important to be polite, professional, and short and to-the-point.

I have yet to not receive satisfaction when going this route.

The last time I did this was for my mother. She had switched from DSL internet from her phone company to cable internet from her cable-TV provider. Because she had requested service on her DSL some several months before, apparently she was on a "promotional program" for her DSL service. So they wanted to charge her $600 for canceling her DSL service. $400 for something and $200 for early-termination. Now bear in mind my mother was a 21-year customer of this phone company.

After my mother got nothing but stonewalling through the usual customer service phone numbers, I emailed the CEO, and she got me to regional VP who canceled all the fees.

Always start at the top.
Old March 14, 2011, 11:11 AM   #27
Foto Joe

I agree with what you've said above, unfortunately it isn't relevant to this thread because customer service has been great for both of us. The problem has been the product sucks. CS is more than happy to send us as many crappy guns as they've got on the shelf.

No complaints here about Uberti Customer Service at all. It's just that their Schofield guns are from my experience about 67% paperweights.
Old March 14, 2011, 01:14 PM   #28
maillemaker

Quote:
I agree with what you've said above, unfortunately it isn't relevant to this thread because customer service has been great for both of us. The problem has been the product sucks. CS is more than happy to send us as many crappy guns as they've got on the shelf.
If their "great customer service" has been for some shipping clerk to box up another "crappy" firearm and send it to you, I'd say that wasn't very great.

What I'd want is for someone to send me not just a replacement, but an exceptional replacement. You aren't going to get that by "going through channels", as you have found out.

Steve
Old March 14, 2011, 02:52 PM   #29
SAA GunSlinger

I havent completely stripped it down, i took it apart and looked inside to see what was not doing what it should but before you take the side cover off you have to take the top break release latch off, this will allow you to take the side cover off but that top break release latch on the top of the gun has a leaf spring which latches it, it wont fly out or anything so dont worry about that but its a pain to put back in, the spring sits all the way inside the gun and just a small part of it pokes out and goes into a small little groove on the right side of the top break release latch. If you look you will see what i am talking about, after that take the side screws off the side cover. Its pretty stiff so you might have to do some light taping on it to get it off but after that comes off you will be able to look inside it. Ill be honest it doesnt look terribly complicated. Theres some little parts that my big clumsy hands didnt want to loose. I sent it to a gunsmith to fix it because i dont feel like dealing with uberti agian. He said its a timing problem that im having, so i hope to the Good Lord that it will be a simple fix or its back to the factory it goes. I called that company and gave them a piece of my mind and also told them how alot of other people are having these problems too. I certainly hope they take that into consideration. The schofield is a fair design, its not fair that people will loose faith in it because crappy craftsmanship.
Old March 14, 2011, 03:03 PM   #30
SAA GunSlinger

I agree the customer service is good but i am rather upset that they send another broken gun back. Ive lost faith in uberti When i dropped off my schofields for repair, i saw a very pretty lever action yellowboy in 45 LC. I really need one for cowboy action shooting and i picked it up, and fell in love with it. It felt great, mechanically smooth and they let me put some dummy rounds through it to see how it would function and it worked great. I was seriously considering buying it, i looked at the price and it wasnt too bad and then i looked at the maker.......uberti....i just put it back up on the shelf and walked away from it. I already have enough pot iron from them giving me problems, i dont need anymore. I think ill put my money in a marlin 1894 cowboy.
Old March 21, 2011, 04:54 PM   #31
Foto Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAA GunSlinger
You have to take the top break release latch off, this will allow you to take the side cover off but that top break release latch on the top of the gun has a leaf spring which latches it, it wont fly out or anything so dont worry about that but its a pain to put back in.
For no other reason that to see what was inside, I pulled the side plate on my Schofield. SAA GunSlinger did warn me about that spring, but I'm not bright enough to heed each and every warning someone gives me, unfortunately.

I spent the better part of an hour getting that stupid latch back on, all the while mentally kicking myself for having to look inside!!! Granted, I now know how to get it back together reasonably easily, but I had my doubts for a while.

For some idiotic reason the 100+ year old design that S&W came up with for this gun was far ahead of its time in complexity. You would think that S&W would have designed a gun that was much more user servicable back then. Maybe that's why Colt's captured the market. You can fully dis-assemble the things with one screwdriver and a stick to clean out the hand channel!!

I shall now finish my rant but striking the "Submit Reply" button and go have an adult beverage to calm my nerves.
Old March 22, 2011, 05:42 PM   #32
SAA GunSlinger

I have some really bad news The Gunsmiths could not fix the schofield so i have to send it back to the company for now what would be my third replacement from them. I called them up and told them how much trouble i was having and they agreed to send me a brand new schofield with in 2 days time! I was very impressed by this but i certainly hope that this 3rd one will finally work. Im so tired of this, i just want a working schofield!!!!. Sorry to hear that the Schofield gave ya some trouble when ya took it apart Fotojoe. Ill keep yall updated on what happens.
Old March 23, 2011, 11:09 AM   #33
poppa59hd

SAA Gunslinger: Just browsed thru this Uberti problem you're having and I'm surprised to read about all the problems you're having. I've never owned an Uberti cartridge pistol, but the Rems and '51&'60 Colts I've had were all Timex watches. But, I've had them for a number of years, too, so maybe their craftmanship and/or quality control has gone downhill dramatically. You have my sympathies.

Being sent to Fort Riley and leading a good life is an oxymoron if there ever was one. Fort Riley may not be the end of the world, but it's just down the road if you take a right at Custer Hill! Welcome to Kanz-azz!

Always Remember: Rebels-0 Yankees-1 Halftime
Old March 23, 2011, 11:41 AM   #34
SAA GunSlinger

I would have to agree with you poppa59hd, i have owned a 1858 new army, 1851 colt navy, 3rd model dragoon, and a colt walker all produced by uberti. I bought those all almost 6 years ago and they were fantastic. I figured buying a really high end gun from them would be flawless but as i can see quality has gone down a bit since i last bought firearms from them. I must say there customer service was great. The manager that i was connected too was doing everything in her power to make sure i was a happy customer. When calling them they said they would have me a new replacement in 2 days time and also are sending me some uberti, hats, t-shirts and gifts for all that i had to deal with. I was extremely impressed by this. The very next day they called me bright and early and wanted to insure me that they had a new gun that had been properly inspected and tested and on its way to me. This also impressed me. This show of great customer service has made me put some faith back into the uberti name. I also told them that other people were having these problems with their firearms and that alot of cowboy action shooters were not pleased with malfunctioning schofields. They took what i said into consideration. There customer service is fantastic, if the craftsmanship on there products improve they will still have my buisness.
Old March 24, 2011, 10:51 AM   #35
Foto Joe

There is still hope....

With any luck you'll get a working model in the next couple of days. So far I've run just over 100 rounds of 44-40 smokeless through mine. I've only pushed a half dozen Black Powder rounds through it though. I'm hoping to get it sort of "Broken In" before trying to put more than one cylinder of the good stuff down the barrel.

I've heard and experienced that modern Schofields DO NOT like Black Powder very much. If nothing else, I'd like to have it loaded with Black Powder for up in the mountains when I'm part of the food chain. The ballistics I've seen for smokeless 44-40 versus Black Powder aren't very complimentary of the smokeless rounds.
Old March 24, 2011, 09:57 PM   #36
SAA GunSlinger

Thats very intresting and i never new that blackpower could out perform smokeless. Wish me luck i pick it up tommorow and hopefully they dont make me do another 3 day waiting period. Ill keep ya updated! I have my fingers crossed
Old March 24, 2011, 11:09 PM   #37
radom

No, black powder does not out perform smokless loads. But a case full of BP will out perform reduced power cowboy action type smokless loads.
Old March 24, 2011, 11:46 PM   #38
Hawg

Quote:
I'm hoping to get it sort of "Broken In" before trying to put more than one cylinder of the good stuff down the barrel.
Don't waste your time, use smokeless. The problem is the Schofield clones have longer cylinders so they can use the same frames for cartridges longer than the original .45 S&W. To do that they eliminated the gas ring that helped prevent powder fouling from seizing the cylinder.
Old March 25, 2011, 11:20 AM   #39
Foto Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Haggen
Don't waste your time, use smokeless. The problem is the Schofield clones have longer cylinders so they can use the same frames for cartridges longer than the original .45 S&W. To do that they eliminated the gas ring that helped prevent powder fouling from seizing the cylinder.
And don't I know it!!

Typically, this gun won't be used for more than one cylinder of the real stuff, unfortunately. It's a shame really that the repro's can't fire the appropriate ammunition. My original quest when I got the Schofield bug was to have one in 45 Schofield, good luck with that unless you find an original. I settled for a Russian in the appropriate caliber but unfortunately it was junk from the production line, it was a nice gun though, it just wouldn't fire. It's for that reason that I switched over to 44-40 since it was one of the original chamberings for Schofield and Uberti didn't have any more Russians on hand.

This thing would be a hoot with the right ammo and once I get tired of shooting smokeless out of it, she'll go on the For Sale list. Interestingly enough, I took my late 1970's SAA Clone out for some exercise the other day. Normally I will pull the cylinder pin about every three loads, wipe the pin and put a little Ballistol on it before putting it back in. This time, I had forgotten my oil can so the pin was not pulled to wipe down or oil. I fired just over 80 45 Colt Gallery Loads with no maintenance. She did drag a couple of times but never failed to index. When I got home the pin was a little stubborn but came out without too much effort.

There's a LOT to be said for that "blast ring", it's there for a VERY good reason.
Old March 25, 2011, 11:29 AM   #40
Bishop Creek

The lack of a gas ring was the reason that I sold my Schofield a few years back. It was a very nice piece, and it shot very well with smokeless, but I prefer black powder and my pistol just fouled up too much using .45 Schofield BP rounds.
Old March 27, 2011, 02:14 PM   #41
SAA GunSlinger

Foto Joe i have a question for ya and this also goes out to anyone else who has had schofield problems. When you recieved your schofield and it was broken what color were the grips? Were they light colored wood or dark colored wood? I bought 2 schofields, the dark wood one worked great but the light wood one was broke, i returned it and recieved another one broken and it also had light wood grips. Then i recieved my 3rd one and it has dark wood grips, i inspected every inch of it to make sure there were no flaws and even had the gunsmith test fire it. It seems to work great, im still waiting to shoot it because we have a waiting period up here for handguns. My hunch is that ones with light wood are of lower quality compared to the dark wood ones. I know you could probably tell this alot easier with serial #'s but like a fool i didnt write down my last 2 serial #'s on my broken firearms that they sent me. Were any of your schofields that you recieved broken have light wood grips on them? Like i said its just a hunch. I really like hearing yall conversing about these schofields and the ammo to use with them. I sure learn alot even with the side conversations.
Old March 27, 2011, 04:33 PM   #42
Bishop Creek

Is this what you mean by dark grips? Though I no longer own it, mine was perfect with no problems (except for shooting black power). Serial range was in the four digits.

Old March 27, 2011, 04:45 PM   #43
SAA GunSlinger

Yours has light colored grips and from what ya say it works just fine. Which cancels out my hunch. Thank you for sending the picture.
Old March 27, 2011, 07:20 PM   #44
Foto Joe

SAA Gunslinger,

All of mine had dark wood grips including the Russian.

Interestingly enough, I went to a gun show yesterday (very small but a good showing of 19th Century arms) and came across an original Schofield. I once knew what it was but have forgotten. It had a Russian style release on it but was chambered in 44-40 and had a different trigger guard than a Russian. The trigger guard was huge by comparison to what we normally associate with a Schofield. Since my memorie isn't working on who S&W made these for, maybe somebody subscribed to this thread can remember. I didn't get a chance to fondle it so I can't say about any markings, I don't think the Wells Fargo models had any differences other than a stamping, but I could be wrong.

What caught my eye most was the blast ring on the cylinder, the thing was at least a quarter of inch long!! If only our Italian friends had thought to duplicate "that" part of the gun, they'd sell a lot more of them.
Old March 27, 2011, 07:41 PM   #45
Hawg

Most Well's Fargo marked guns are fake.
Old March 27, 2011, 07:56 PM   #46
Foto Joe

I realize that Wells Fargo Schofields have a bad rap brought about by unscrupulous people. I don't think this one was a WF though. I seem to remember something about those extra large trigger guard models being made for a foreign country other than Russia.

Unfortunately, I've got too much "Cliff Claven" trivia in my brain and some of the important stuff gets bumped out of the way to make room once in a while.
Old March 28, 2011, 01:26 PM   #47
SAA GunSlinger

Correct me if im wrong but i thought most wells fargo schofields were 5inch barrels, they were cut down after being released from the army. Wouldnt a wells fargo model have US military markings, Serial #'s and 5inch barrel?
Old March 28, 2011, 03:47 PM   #48
Foto Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAA GunSlinger
Correct me if im wrong but i thought most wells fargo schofields were 5inch barrels, they were cut down after being released from the army. Wouldnt a wells fargo model have US military markings, Serial #'s and 5inch barrel?
Correct. I think 1887 is when the government gave up on them and dumped the lot as surplus to distributors.

=================================================

Also, I figured out what I was looking at on Saturday at that gun show. It WAS NOT a Schofield but an S&W Top Break Double Action. Like I said, I didn't fondle it, I only got to look, shows how much I know about S&W's huh?

It was driving me nuts as to exactly what it was so I've been scouring the info on Al Gore's internet for the answer. It was found at "The History of Smith & Wesson Firearms" by Dean K. Boorman, scroll down to page 37 for the model I was looking at.
Old March 28, 2011, 04:14 PM   #49
Hawg

Wells Fargo didn't buy many guns. Employees furnished their own for the most part. What guns they did buy were from whatever the local purveyor had in stock.
Old March 28, 2011, 11:00 PM   #50
SAA GunSlinger

I know that the Schofield was a partial success but i dont understand why the military gave up on it. This is just opinion but i think the schofield design is much better then the peacemaker design. Im not discrediting the peacemaker at all, its a fine firearm but unloading and loading of the schofield is so amazing to me and im surprised that the military didnt see its potential as well. Yes i know that the military didnt like that they couldnt use the normal 45.colt in the schofield which was chambered for the shorter 45. S&W but it was good to see that their were some people out there that took notice to the schofield such as, the james brothers, the earp brothers, john wesley hardin and Theodore roosevelt. Its just too bad that Mr.Schofield took his life with one at Fort Apache. I know it may be cheesey to say but at least the firearm was recognized enough to be mentioned in the movies, Unforgiven, The quick and the dead, and 3:10 to yuma. I know that i may be off topic but it is nice to chit chat about this historic firearm until i can pick up my new replacement and test fire it.
Closed Thread