The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old September 7, 2006, 04:57 PM   #51
dead-eye-ked

Taurus or not?

That is a very valid point. They don't hold a high re-sale value very often. but then again ( only my opinion ) I try not to sell guns I own unless I get a bad one I am not happy with. I also do not sell my tools either. I buy dogs, guns, tools and trucks to work!! and do not often concider re-sale value in the tools I buy that I am happy to work with.. today I JUST got back from the range. I shot up a couple of my rifles to site in scops. I have to take 1 back out. and my Tracker 627. I put in 150 rounds. 150 times I pulled the triger and the gun when BANG. there was 150 holes in paper, and 150 puffs of dust in dirt behind my paper. I know some have been unlucky. but I guess I am just not that picky either. if I pull the triger it shoots. and hits what aI aim at I am happy. I came home cleaned it well, re-checked timing, and face, and bore, and basicly looked it over well... the Stainless steel was easy to clean, its now shinny again and put away
Old September 9, 2006, 11:28 PM   #52
Redneck with a 40

Happy Taurus Owner

I've owned my Taurus MIL-PRO 40 since January of this year. I've fired almost 800 rounds out of it since then, its been 100% reliable, accurate, fits my hand great, for the $350 price tag, its an awesome pistol. I'd put my mil-pro up against any glock anytime. I'm very pleased with this gun. Would I buy another Taurus pistol...absolutely.
Old September 11, 2006, 07:11 PM   #53
Panthera Tigris

I'm with Puppy. Taurus has rapidly become my favorite maker. I have owned some of their revolvers, a PT 111 and now a 24/7. A striker fired gun with an external safety, two pluses in my book. I don't like guns without manual safeties, so Glocks, XDs, are not going to be in my safe.

I had one 44 magnum Tracker they needed to work on, and I had it back 3 weeks after I sent it in, so I dispute the comment about their service being slow. That's the only one of the bunch I had that needed work.

I'm pretty much at the point now where Taurus' are the only ones I am interested in.
Old September 11, 2006, 07:34 PM   #54
Followthehollow

I don't know what their quality was like years ago, but the two I own (Tracker .22 lr and 651 protector .357 mag) are accurate, reliable, and well machined.
Old September 11, 2006, 08:19 PM   #55
Panthera Tigris

I might add, Taurus's lifetime repair policy repairs any firearm for its life regardless of whether you are the original owner.
Old September 11, 2006, 09:25 PM   #56
mg66

I bought a Taurus PT92 about 5 years ago and its a great gun, never had a problem of any kind and shoots anything you put in it.

I also bought a Taurus M66SS6 and a M44SS6 at virtually the same time mid 2006 and both had to go back to Taurus to have repairs done. On the up side the turn around was about 4-5 weeks and zero cost to me, not even s&h and both are fine now. With that said I will never buy another Taurus revolver.

http://www.bghi.us
Bow and Gun Hunting Illinois
Old September 12, 2006, 06:20 PM   #57
Rinaldo

I took a look at the taurus models this weekend at the gun store I most frequent and wow some of their models look Identical to S&W revolvers.
I was shocked to see the prices weren't far off from the Ruger revolvers.
I took a look at their Used rack, and they had several Taurus revolvers under the glass counter and I placed a deposit on a MODEL 66 .357 Mag for $225.00

I think I got a pretty good deal.
We'll see how she performs in a week.
Old September 12, 2006, 06:53 PM   #58
bobhwry

Hate to burst the bubble here but the Taurus is a poorly built firearm with virtually no resale value! The lifetime warranty is either a marketing scam or at the least something you will need often.Who pays the shipping both ways?? Their labor costs are low so if they have to work on alot of returns it's no big deal! Taurus is the sweatshop of the firearm industry. Make um cheap and stack um deep is their philosophy!!
Comparing a Taurus to an S&W is like comparing a Yugo to a Corvette!
Old September 12, 2006, 09:38 PM   #59
AmesJainchill

I think you have them confused with Lorcin, Bryco, et al., Bob.
Old September 12, 2006, 09:49 PM   #60
joab

I have owned Taurus revolver for over twenty years
My first was a model 66, that I sold and have regretted ever since
I now own three M85s and a 445

The only problem I have ever had is with my much shot CH85, which broke the firing pin spring.
It still shoots and I don't carry it anymore so I haven't bothered tofix it.

If Taurus revolvers are so bad, how did I get so lucky for so long with so many as to have never found one of their lemons.

And Bob, the ones that I have sold, I sold for more than I paid for them

Last edited by joab; September 13, 2006 at 06:39 AM.
Old September 13, 2006, 04:54 AM   #61
razorburn

Just ignore him. Check his posts here and on THR, he's a shameless taurus basher. He doesn't own any, but will always go out of his way to find taurus threads to push people's buttons. What was that, his second or third post to bash taurus so far in this thread? Very strange for someone with no experience to be this strongly vocal without a plain agenda. Either the epitome of gun snobbery or something else is going on.
Old September 13, 2006, 09:07 AM   #62
tex45acp

Rinaldo,

This question has been answered many times, in many other forums. Everyone has an opinion and some have never even owned a Taurus product. I have two of them and they are both fine firearms. I had a 415 revolver in .41mag, 2" barrel, that I put over 1500 full magnum, jacketed rounds through. I had to send it back to Taurus after about 800 rounds...the cylinder latch bar broke. They replaced it and I got it back in 2 weeks and they even re-beadblasted the frame. No other problems. I only traded it for a longer barrel field gun, also in .41mag. I also have a PT-145 in .45acp that is my daily carry and BUG when I carry one of my full size .45acp pistols. I am at around 4000 rounds with this little hand cannon and not a single problem. I trust my life to it every day. WHY because it goes "bang" EVERY time I pull the trigger. It is really accurate and just plain fun to shoot.

Now you have some concrete evidence from a Taurus gun owner. Oh I also have many other guns that are much more expensive and the Taurus' shoot just as reliably...but at a lower cost.
Old September 13, 2006, 09:52 AM   #63
Mikeyboy

Quote:
Hate to burst the bubble here but the Taurus is a poorly built firearm with virtually no resale value! The lifetime warranty is either a marketing scam or at the least something you will need often.Who pays the shipping both ways?? Their labor costs are low so if they have to work on alot of returns it's no big deal! Taurus is the sweatshop of the firearm industry. Make um cheap and stack um deep is their philosophy!!
Comparing a Taurus to an S&W is like comparing a Yugo to a Corvette!
That is funny, I have a S&W 442 revolver that was about $380 new and I have a Taurus PT-92 that goes for about the same price new. Both were in good shape, The taurus I bought used, and based on the serial number it is 10 years old, the S&W I bought new about 2 year ago. I inquired at a few gun shops their values for a trade in. Seems the S&W is only worth between $100 and $150, while the the PT-92 was worth anywhere from $150 to $200. Resale is all about supply and demand. Most people rather buy a new Taurus .38 for around $300 then a used S&W, and there are too many used revolvers floating around out there. High Cap 9mm always sell.

Every firearms manufacture can put out a lemon and early on Taurus did, but they have gotten their act together. Over the years, S&W and to a lesser extent Beretta have gotten increasingly sloppy and have cut corners. 15 years ago it was no contest, S&W made better revolvers. Today S&W lower the bar and Taurus raise their bar so that their product are getting very similar in overall quality. S&W revolvers are still slightly better, but in most cases they are double the price, so Taurus is a good substitute and a logical choice. I would gladly buy used S&W revolvers, but I would never buy a new one again, they are just not worth the asking price. I the Semi-autos it is a lot closer, Taurus had problems with the Millenium series, S&W had problems with the Sigma series. Comparing Beretta 92 F and Taurus PT-92 is just like comparing S&W and Taurus revolvers. Beretta beat Taurus 15 years ago, but unlike 15 years ago today's 92F is made cheaply with plastic part, while the PT-92 is built tough with nothing but metal like the 92f of old. If I wanted to buy another 92f like pistol, Beretta would definately not be worth the money. Hands down I would buy another PT-92.

Taurus is making amends for their past maufacturing sins. Make the cheap and stack them deep is unfortunately becoming S&W and Beretta's philosophy!!
Old September 13, 2006, 11:58 AM   #64
reils49

Taurus pistols are a relatively inexpensive and reliable firearm. When they first came onto the market, many shooters dubbed them as a cheap knock off of American gun manufacturers. In recent years however, they have produced some quality arms. I personally own a Taurus model 85. I bought it solely as a concealed carry weapon and paid around $300 for it. It shoots good and has never let me down.
Old September 13, 2006, 05:25 PM   #65
JIH

I have a buddy at work who only buys Taurus and has never had a problem with them. Consquently, he has a more robust handgun collection than I do! They're not as "tight" as some of their competitors, but they all do what they're supposed to do. And, yes, they're much better than they used to be.
Old September 13, 2006, 06:18 PM   #66
Panthera Tigris

I saw a CSI:Miami rerun recently where they referred to a Taurus 92 as a "cheap Beretta knock off commonly found in these parts." I got a big laugh out of that.
Old September 13, 2006, 06:44 PM   #67
joab

But didn't CSI also do an episode where the killer was using meat bullets?
Old September 13, 2006, 11:33 PM   #68
Panthera Tigris

If you mean the regular CSI I don't know. I rarely ever watch it or the NY CSI. I pretty much only watch CSI: Miami. Not for any particular realism, I just like the characters on that one better than the others. I do watch CSI once in awhile, but I hardly ever turn on CSI: NY.

I wouldn't doubt them having meat bullets though!

I give CSI Miami points for even having a Taurus in one of their episodes. I never see anyone on the screen using Tauruses.
Old September 14, 2006, 02:00 AM   #69
KD5NRH

I haven't even bothered watching CSI:wherever since they did the one where they determined how long a corpse had been dead by the colony of fire ants that supposedly would have taken several months to establish itself.

My PT99AF may have been inexpensive, but after several trips to the range, I wouldn't call it cheap. As far as long turnaround times go, I recently had to wait about 6 weeks for a simple trigger job on my Colt from a local gunsmith, so 2-3 months for a major repair or tracking down an intermittent issue wouldn't be unacceptable as long as it gets fixed right.
Old September 15, 2006, 02:02 AM   #70
radom

I have had and still have the B guns and the cheep T guns. From what I have seen only people that hate the PT 92-96 guns are snobs that are agrivated over paying 250 bucks more for a gun thats has a pee poor safety location.
Old September 15, 2006, 07:00 AM   #71
Renfield

no

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends"
Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Orators are most vehement when their cause is weak" Marcus Tullius Cicero

Old September 15, 2006, 07:58 AM   #72
mini14jac

The original poster asked a question.
Are we just supposed to post Taurus praises, or does he want honest opinions?

If the answer is "honest opinions", then we shouldn't jump on anyone who says Taurus is not that good.
The author of this thread may want to hear the good and the bad :barf: .

We currently own two Taurus revolvers.
They seem to be good quality for the money, but they don't get shot as much as my autos.

I've had one other revolver (A+), and two PT-145s (C-).
The first PT-145 was purchased just after they came out, several years ago.
The last Millenium Pro was purchased a few months ago.
Both of them had serious issues.

So, here are my opinions as a current and past Taurus owner:

1. When it costs $40 to ship a handgun, a warranty that doesn't pay shipping on a $300 gun is not much value.
2. The PT-145 guns have had issues since day one, and Taurus does not seem interested in fixing them. (Last one shot low, and got light strikes on Winchester ammo.)
3. The customer service people that you get on the phone are some of the rudest people I have talked to in the industry.
4. My experience with Taurus revolvers have shown them to have less issues than their autos.
5. I've switched to S&W for both revolvers and autos.

S&W guns cost more up front, but also hold value much better if the need to sell or trade should arise.
Around here, you can barely give away a used Taurus.
If an issue arises with a S&W handgun, they pay shipping both ways.
If you buy a $300 Taurus and have to ship it back twice, (not uncommon with any manufacturer) you've paid as much as you would have for the S&W.

My personal experience, and that of others seem to indicate that you stand a higher risk of needing to use a Taurus warranty, than a S&W warranty.

My brother has a Taurus 92 that is a nice gun.
It's stainless, hasn't jammed, and it's a beautiful gun. But, it seldom gets shot.
I don't shoot my guns as much as people that compete, but I do average around 1000 rounds a year in each gun.
A gun that won't stand up to that (fairly low) amount of shooting is not going to stay in my collection long.

So, if you think I'm a Taurus basher, you need to read my post again.
I will gladly tell you the good, and the bad about any gun I've owned.

That's not bashing.

Last edited by mini14jac; September 15, 2006 at 08:44 AM.
Old September 15, 2006, 03:54 PM   #73
bobhwry

Razor boy,
Contrary to your groundless allegations I have owned two Taurus handguns in the past! One was a revolver and the other a semi-auto. I had to send both of them back to the factory twice and paid shipping both ways!! The revolver was out of time, the cylinder would not line up with the barell. The semi constantly jammed regardless of the ammo I used. Bought two new mags thinking that was the problem and it still jammed every other round. After two trips to Taurus they worked for awhile then the same problems again. So I decided to cut my losses and sold them for a pittance. No one want's a used Taurus.
Do I have a bad taste in my mouth for Taurus? Yes. Do I intend to tell others about my experience? OH, YEAH!!
Old September 15, 2006, 04:24 PM   #74
Renfield

why buy a Taurus when Ruger is in the same price neighborhood ?

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends"
Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Orators are most vehement when their cause is weak" Marcus Tullius Cicero

Old September 16, 2006, 08:57 AM   #75
tegemu

The thought that a product is inexpensive as in, those who dont want to spend the $$$ to get a better one, simply does not compute. less expensive products often are superior to the bigger buck ones.