The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 6, 2001, 12:24 AM   #1
unclefinster

Left handed 8mm hammerless Revolver?

Hello folks,

First time posting here and with an unusual item that I know very little about.

I am in posession of an old revolver that I can't find a name on so I can value it for an estate sale.

This is a hammerless 8mm (LFB) revolver with the cylinder swinging out to the right. The proof marks tell me that it came from Belgium, but that's the only marks on this piece besides a serial number.

I have a webpage on it at http://www.geocities.com/w4pbj/unknown/unknown.htm

and here's a picture...

Thanks in advance for any info you can share with me.
Pat
Old September 6, 2001, 12:40 AM   #2
C.R.Sam

Nice layout on the website Pat. I have seen that but can't nail it down tonight. The proofmark indicates that it is after 1924 but you probably already knew that.

There is a wealth of knowledge on TFL, have patience and somebody will peg it for you.

Sam
Old September 6, 2001, 01:09 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

I will try to help in a very general way. The Belgian gun makers of that era produced tons of inexpensive revolvers and pistols for domestic sales and export. Proofing was required by law, but marking with the maker's name was not. In many cases, the guns were the product of a group effort by several small gun makers, where one outfit would make, say, hammers, and another cylinders. The guns would be fitted and assembled by some other group. Since it would be impossible to put on all the names (even had they wanted to), they put on no name.

The right swing cylinder seems odd to us, but it was used in the French 1892 military revolver and kept cropping up in France and Belgium.

I doubt the revolver has any great value but it is interesting. My best guess would be around $100-150, purely as a curiosity.

HTH

Jim
Old September 6, 2001, 05:44 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

I would better bet that if the gun is chambered for an 8mm cartridge, that it is in fact chambered for the 8mm Lebel Revolver round.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 13, 2001, 08:10 PM   #5
unclefinster

Thanks for the info folks. Yes, I do believe this was the Lebel cartridge. I found a few at a local gun show and they fit well. Picked up 2 rounds ($6 per!) for show and tell.

Have fun,
Pat
Old September 13, 2001, 11:11 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Fiocchi makes/made that round. Old Western Scrounger (www.ows-ammo.com) has it at $33 a box of 50. Pretty salty, but less than the collector price of $6 each for original military ammo.

Jim